New Loud Exhaust Law

bloomerfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ridiculous!! Of course that is the communistwealth of Virginia …motorcycles are 10 times as loud as cars and they get a free pass. To me nothing more obnoxious than a v-twin straight piped
Sponsored

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
Depends. Revving the engine to high RPMs in a residential area, especially late at night or early in the morning, yes. Driving normally on major streets or cruising down the highway, no.
No I literally meant that when In track mode the car is too loud for the noise tests. Which is why the disclaimer “track use only” pops up on the screen.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I've been down 4 times because of exactly that. 3 of them because of a driver playing with a cellphone while trying to drive. Luckily all 4 of those resulted in minor injury but my best friend wasn't that lucky. T-boned by a car that ran a red light in town because the lady was on the phone face-timing her bestie, blew through the light.
That's effectively the funeral I'm going to this morning. Middle of the afternoon on a dry, straight, level road on a bright, sunny, weekend day, and someone runs a stop sign at a tree-bordered intersection for God knows what reason (subsequently arrested for DUI). Freaking awful.

Hell, had I been on a bike yesterday morning instead of my truck, I wouldn't have been able to stop for the moron coming off the cross street. But, he did give me the "My bad!" wave, so I guess that makes it all better. The wide angle lens on the camera exaggerates the apparent distance.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Kooks green catted long tubes and a Borla Atak GT500 about to go on my Mach 1 soon. Perfect timing. Texas has been pretty mod friendly aside from emissions testing in the big cities.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, 2020 GT350 Heritage
That's effectively the funeral I'm going to this morning. Middle of the afternoon on a dry, straight, level road on a bright, sunny, weekend day, and someone runs a stop sign at a tree-bordered intersection for God knows what reason (subsequently arrested for DUI). Freaking awful.

Hell, had I been on a bike yesterday morning instead of my truck, I wouldn't have been able to stop for the moron coming off the cross street. But, he did give me the "My bad!" wave, so I guess that makes it all better. The wide angle lens on the camera exaggerates the apparent distance.

You're talking about David Penney, right? And here you are with a video of someone doing it to you. Be safe out there people.

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
You're talking about David Penney, right? And here you are with a video of someone doing it to you. Be safe out there people.
I am. Our families were inseparable while we were growing up.

At the church now. A few Harleys just pulled in.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
As others have said, laws like this have been around forever. I remember back in the day getting pulled over in my '83 Mustang GT for "excessive noise" when my real crime was being (at the time) a "young" kid driving a red "sports car". I politely talked it over with the cop and he let me go with a "I'm watching you" message.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Hypocritically, they ticket motorists all the time for noise infractions. @WildHorse
Yup. Here it's called 'noise tax'. Got one.

Cop laughs: 'son, I've handed out hundreds of these Hollywood style tickets, you'll never get off it'
Me: 'We'll see about that pa'.
Also Me: Gets off. Didn't have to pay a dime.

Always fight your tickets.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I don`t know why people keep talking about motorcycles. The laws are not perfect or fair.

Fun fact, in pairs they ban gas powered motorcycles. But gas powered cars are still allowed.

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
Yup. Here it's called 'noise tax'. Got one.

Cop laughs: 'son, I've handed out hundreds of these Hollywood style tickets, you'll never get off it'
Me: 'We'll see about that pa'.
Also Me: Gets off. Didn't have to pay a dime.

Always fight your tickets.
100%.

Sponsored

chefwally32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
walter
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp2
Vehicle Showcase
most states have always had a noise limit law, it's just rarely enforced! So, it is a great way for an officer or deputy to use probable cause if they want to pull you over, not much you're going to do about it other than be polite and try not to get a ticket. Arguing about Harleys being louder does not do any good when you're at the rear bumper of your car getting a noise limit ticket it's frustrating just like getting a window tint ticket while the car the cop is driving is darker than what you're getting a ticket for. Thats what makes the custom car game go around! cat and mouse!

chefwally32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
walter
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp2
Vehicle Showcase
when they take away the smell of race gas, the world will stop spinning!

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
To me nothing more obnoxious than a v-twin straight piped
Right there with ya. Sounds like loud wet flatulence, only broke brained boomers like that. Like I'm not even a Harley guy but they sound half decent with a factory-ish exhaust or at least one that's not 100% straight through.

Also "loud pipes save lives" is horseshit. I've been riding for almost 20 years, people just don't look for/see bikes no matter what. One of my current bikes is an EV so is basically silent. No difference in people noticing me compared to when I had louder bikes in the past.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Just found out starting tomorrow in Virginia police can pull you if they think your exhaust is to loud. My Mach 1 is stock, I shouldn’t have to worry about being pulled over but now it’s up to the discretion of a cop what is to loud? And once pulled they can cherry pick other violations. How are y’all in similar states dealing with this?
Is this a genuine concern for you? Meaning, do you believe you’re going to be pulled over frequently for this?

I ask because most states have very similar laws and most officers use common sense to enforce stuff like this. Every now and then you’ll get a cop with a hard on for it with a decibel meter and a ticket book, but more often than not this issue, in it of itself, won’t be a problem. Are you also speeding in a residential? That might change things a bit…? It’s also very possible enforcement will be high at first and then die down…

No front plate is an issue, window tint is an issue, noise is an issue, the list goes on with my car and I’ve never once been pulled over (knock on wood) in my Mustang.

OP
OP
Nardly

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
I guess I have felt somewhat invincible under the old law where they couldn't pull you for tint, exhaust and no front plate. This is the first car I haven't mounted one in the front, so it's a little paranoia. And my tint is one shade darker than allowable too. I drive safely, but do like putting exhaust in sport mode.
Sponsored