Sponsored

New Loud Exhaust Law

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I'm fine with them finally cracking down on loud vehicles. Harleys are by far the worst, but it seems like everyone and their mother is now running catless, smelly with a crackle/pop tune. It's irritating and I don't know how anyone actually likes the way that sounds.
Most states make exceptions for motorcycles. Unless you're running a screaming Hayabusa, they'll never ticket the most obnoxious Harley. The whole "it's a safety" thing is alive and well and to a degree, it's true, many times you hear a motorcycle on the road before you see them in a mirror.

FL allows higher db levels for motorcycles and I'm betting most states do. Sprinkle in the fact that most states and green idiots classify motorcycles as a "high occupancy vehicle" the tree huggers like them for their MPG. They'll crack down on riced out shitboxes and muscle cars long before they ever touch the harley scene.
Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Stop driving like an asshole tends to clear up the issue for most folks.
This.

I have the most visually loud, easy to spot car in my county but I don’t drive like a dick so I’ve never been pulled over in my car.

In regards to Harleys (and other motorcycles) they get a pass due to Safety.

In my state, if you get popped they send you to a ref where a state db test is performed. In CA it’s something to the effect of x feet away at 3 different engine speeds and measuring sound. I did it on my car a while back and didn’t pass.

Many states are incorporating these types of laws. Pretty easy to avoid getting popped even with the loudest of exhausts.

OP
OP
Nardly

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
This all started when the previous governor made it so police could not pull a car over for non-moving violation, like tint, brake light or a headlight out. He said it was disproportionality targeting people of color. So the new governor kept that EXCEPT for exhaust noise. Burned out lights are okay, not loud exhaust. So now state laws on exhaust noise supersedes federal regulations? This could be an interesting court case.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Lived in Williamsburg for two years. Loved the area, but Va can suck it when it comes to all of their laws and fees. My tints illegal here, I speed, not even gonna sweat noise, but Bama isn't likely to enact that anyways.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
So do these “loud laws” apply to Harleys? I mean, not to get off topic or pick on any Enthusiast group, but I mean seriously, there’s Harleys that are louder at idle, take off AND cruising speed than ANY Performance/Muscle/Sport car…

IMO, if the vehicle comes “as built” with features for allowing a louder exhaust tone, it was legal per the Manufacturer As Built, it was legal to sell in the State it was sold, and it’s not breaking any laws related to emissions and/or exhaust.

Sound ordinance laws? Maybe, but only IF the law specifically states a time period during the day that dB has to be a certain level OR you’re in a painfully strict HOA Community, Condo or Apt. Community where it’s specifically outlined in their Policy/Procedure/HOA By Laws that such won’t be tolerated.

Keep your owners manual handy, bookmark the AE pages and pull it to prove your exhaust is factory IF pulled over. IF you’re breaking a sound ordinance law due to time of day or HOA/Community, then that’s a totally different issue.

As far as being pulled over with a stock exhaust system but have other items that may get you flagged for additional violations, that’s on you. If you’re initially pulled for probable cause, such as a “loud exhaust” or say even window tint… you’re already opening yourself up for the officer to find via visual inspection other violations IF in sight and you’re in the wrong. That’s the thing with probable cause - if they had an initial reason to pull you over, they can get you for XYZ in addition to the initial stop.
and about Harleys (and other road style bikes)... wait getting Soap Box out... how about ticketing these bikers with sounds systems that break glass windows 3 blocks away? I was at a strip mall the other day outside and could hear a bike riders sound system going by and the road was a good bit away from us. So WTH bikers?
... now stepping down...

Sponsored

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
on the state laws here in Indiana... no inspection, likely no loud exhaust law ever either. Hell they just made it legal to take your guns around with you without a carry license.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Most states make exceptions for motorcycles. Unless you're running a screaming Hayabusa, they'll never ticket the most obnoxious Harley. The whole "it's a safety" thing is alive and well and to a degree, it's true, many times you hear a motorcycle on the road before you see them in a mirror.

FL allows higher db levels for motorcycles and I'm betting most states do. Sprinkle in the fact that most states and green idiots classify motorcycles as a "high occupancy vehicle" the tree huggers like them for their MPG. They'll crack down on riced out shitboxes and muscle cars long before they ever touch the harley scene.
Hate to say I told you this was coming but…it’s here!

You are correct about Harleys getting a pass, unless of course you’re hossin’ it around and doing you best Sonny Barger visual impersonation. In close to 60 years of riding Harleys I never had even so much as a single washer-type baffle in my straight pipes and I have never once been pulled over. Not sure why; maybe it’s some sort of weird professional courtesy since cops used to all ride Harleys.

If you ride or drive aware of cops and potential hide-outs it’s often pretty easy to shift up a gear and lug the engine a little to moderate the noise.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
This all started when the previous governor made it so police could not pull a car over for non-moving violation, like tint, brake light or a headlight out. He said it was disproportionality targeting people of color. So the new governor kept that EXCEPT for exhaust noise. Burned out lights are okay, not loud exhaust. So now state laws on exhaust noise supersedes federal regulations? This could be an interesting court case.
Dude......you like a loud exhaust.

99% of people do not. And since they haven't been getting ticketed for their loud exhausts, the D.B.s have been making their cars louder, and louder, and driving them in more areas where it's a real nuisance.

It's a real problem in my area. A huge problem. All the ricers haul ass around my neighborhood at 2:30 in the morning, with their screaming exhausts.

How do you figure VA state laws supersede federal regulations? Is the dB limit lower?

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
Just drive in a civil manner and you have nothing to worry about, I hope a$$holes with loud cars/trucks get pulled over if they're driving like an idiot pouring black smoke out of their stack.

This isn't anyone coming for your 'freedoms and liberties', it's common sense.

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
Just to throw this out there… even the exhaust in 100% stock form is “too loud” if it’s in track mode.

Sponsored

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
Just found out starting tomorrow in Virginia police can pull you if they think your exhaust is too loud.
Starting tomorrow? I've lived in Virginia for 8 years now, and just assumed they could do that. 🤷‍♂️ I've known the police to pull people over for less, in other places.

My Mach 1 is stock, I shouldn’t have to worry about being pulled over but now it’s up to the discretion of a cop what is too loud? And once pulled they can cherry pick other violations. How are y’all in similar states dealing with this?
There has got to be a standard, in decibels, or (after much hassle and legal expense for car owners) the law will be unenforceable.

Maybe this analogy will help...

Doesn't Virginia have a law for how dark your window tint can be? If you have tinted windows, the annual safety inspection has to include testing your tint with a meter, right?
(That's how it worked in NC, anyway)

If a cop thinks your windows are too dark, any licensed state inspector can measure your tint, and if you prove your tint is legal you don't pay a fine. Right?
...And if the cops kept ticketing people whose tint was legal, they'd find out how judges feel about a cop wasting their time.

...So if there's new enforcement for loud exhaust, the right way to handle it is the police will have to start carrying decibel meters, and inspection stations will have to start buying decibel meters and testing every car. Otherwise the cops don't have a case, and will lose whenever the accused can lawyer up.

I say that knowing it'll be a big hassle if I ever have to go to court and present evidence that my car is legal.

Last edited:

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
Might help but unlikely if he already has you on the meter at above the limit.
I agree in principle, though I've never heard of police in Virginia having a meter.
I think that's why the OP is worried about this being at the cops' discretion.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I agree in principle, though I've never heard of police in Virginia having a meter.
I think that's why the OP is worried about this being at the cops' discretion.
He has nothing to worry about. They have to prove loudness the same way they have to prove speed. There is no discretion.

OP
OP
Nardly

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
Dude......you like a loud exhaust.

99% of people do not. And since they haven't been getting ticketed for their loud exhausts, the D.B.s have been making their cars louder, and louder, and driving them in more areas where it's a real nuisance.

It's a real problem in my area. A huge problem. All the ricers haul ass around my neighborhood at 2:30 in the morning, with their screaming exhausts.

How do you figure VA state laws supersede federal regulations? Is the dB limit lower?
It's 85 dB in the new law in Virginia. I think the federal limit is 95 dB, I couldn't find any info doing a Google search. And I'm pretty sure most county police departments aren't going out buying dB meters with certification. State inspections stations do not measure for loudness, just check for leaks, cats missing. They also don't check tint. So it's up to the discretion of the officer if he feels it's to loud. Like I said, it's going to be interesting in court if they start ticketing stock exhaust.

TheShit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Manual
Vehicle Showcase
I've run catless with longtubes on every v8 sports car I've owned. The trick is to not be an asshole in your neighborhood. But I live in Tennessee, and we seem to be pretty muscle car friendly.
Sponsored