Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
I think its less about the actual state and more about where you live in the state. Every state has exhaust sound and racing laws. But how strictly enforced will vary.
Of course, most states have some law on loud exhaust. One of the reasons I always find it funny that people complain about New York's law but places like Florida actually have stricter laws. Street racing has been a problem here; no one needs to take my word for it. You can google it and find stories of racers crashing and dying, and videos of high speed chases through Manhattan. They are doing something about it in other areas of the city, just seems they dont care over here.
Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Active exhaust can be pretty loud on track setting. If they have been told to clean it up, I could see how some PDs may get a woody over it.

In hard times, cities are looking for more revenue. Tickets are an easy mark.
Of course the Ford owner's manual specifically states that Track mode is not for use on public highways. So if they want to run track mode on the streets, that's their choice. Ford has no liability for it.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
In other words, a Honda Civic with an aftermarket exhaust that's 90 dbA is illegal because a stock one might measure say, 75 dbA, yet my Mustang which measures just over 96 dbA is OK (stock GT without active exhaust). Sounds discriminatory to me because the Civic is quieter than my stock GT yet because a stock Civic is much quieter the "slightly louder" Civic is illegal.
That may be because a loud Honda sounds like shit. It deserves to be illegal. 😁

baazooka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT
I mean, not to get off topic or pick on any Enthusiast group,
I'll get us off topic and pick on another group. Motorcycles are actually so obnoxious just idling/cruising to speed. I hear one go by and think "wow, a loud bike, that would be the first". For every 'look out for motorcycles' sticker I see two riders with no helmet on, tank top and shorts. I can't look out for someone who doesn't look out for themselves!

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I'll get us off topic and pick on another group. Motorcycles are actually so obnoxious just idling/cruising to speed. I hear one go by and think "wow, a loud bike, that would be the first". For every 'look out for motorcycles' sticker I see two riders with no helmet on, tank top and shorts. I can't look out for someone who doesn't look out for themselves!
Just curious what you think when you hear a loud semi tractor trailer bringing your groceries to a nearby market. Many are far louder than any straight pipe Harley and unlike a “responsible” straight pipe Harley rider the drivers make no effort to mitigate the noise. They can pull the Jake Brake 20 feet away from a cop and he’ll snooze right through it.

Sponsored

baazooka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT
Just curious what you think when you hear a loud semi tractor trailer bringing your groceries to a nearby market. Many are far louder than any straight pipe Harley and unlike a “responsible” straight pipe Harley rider the drivers make no effort to mitigate the noise. They can pull the Jake Brake 20 feet away from a cop and he’ll snooze right through it.
Thank you for the Deep South comparison of apples to oranges. Whenever I hear a loud semi I think to myself "who does this guy think he is carrying on like that?" And then I spit out the window and flick him off.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Thank you for the Deep South comparison of apples to oranges. Whenever I hear a loud semi I think to myself "who does this guy think he is carrying on like that?" And then I spit out the window and flick him off.
No problem, you seemed like you needed some help.

baazooka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
How about diesel locomotives where I need to wear hearing protection in the cab while driving them, lol. Let alone the wheel screech. The cops for some reason don't try to ticket me either.

I get what you're saying and all, but some noises are simply expected in certain situations when you live in society. Trucks are necessary noise, while motorcycles and catless retards out having fun really aren't.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
You’re a little late. See post #6. 🤭

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
How about diesel locomotives where I need to wear hearing protection in the cab while driving them, lol. Let alone the wheel screech. The cops for some reason don't try to ticket me either.
In all fairness, diesel locomotives aren't driven at speed through residential areas. :wink:

baazooka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Trucks are necessary noise
Trucks don't have to be unnecessarily and annoyingly noisy. In Europe there are strict noise rules for trucks. Try to use the jake brake in a German village, for instance, and see what happens. The fine you'll get will give you a heart attack. :)
Trucks can be reasonably quiet. But, as is the case with cars and motorcycles, trucks are driven by all sorts of people. That a truck driver is a moron doesn't mean that the noise he makes is necessary and unavoidable.

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I had a '05 Sportster 1200 with drag pipes, it was ignorantly loud. The guys I rode with always made me ride in the rear it was that loud. The benefit was that while approaching people on the highway in the passing lane, they KNEW I was right beside them. The Mustang with resonator delete is really mellow unless I hammer on it compared to the Harley.
Sponsored