New Loud Exhaust Law

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
It's 85 dB in the new law in Virginia. I think the federal limit is 95 dB, I couldn't find any info doing a Google search. And I'm pretty sure most county police departments aren't going out buying dB meters with certification. State inspections stations do not measure for loudness, just check for leaks, cats missing. They also don't check tint. So it's up to the discretion of the officer if he feels it's to loud. Like I said, it's going to be interesting in court if they start ticketing stock exhaust.
Bernard, read the law. Itā€™s not what you think. Fortunately.
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title46.2/chapter10/section46.2-1049/
Sponsored

07S281E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saleen S281E, 2020 Shelby GT 350
Tennessee does not currently have a muffler law.

gtcs20148

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT/CS Convertible

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Nardly

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
Bernard, read the law. Itā€™s not what you think. Fortunately.
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title46.2/chapter10/section46.2-1049/
This was in the big red box at the top of the page: There have been significant technical difficulties during the 2022 code upload process. Due to these difficulties, the portal does not currently reflect the changes to enacted law.
This is almost verbatim of vehicle inspection criteria. In other news articles I have read take a reading at 50 feet from the tip. No rpm levels or specifics mentioned. I'll write one of my representatives and see if they can provide the specifics. šŸ˜†šŸ˜…šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nardly

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
The more I read I think as long as it's stock I'll be fine, I guess that ruins my plans for an H-Pipe......
Well your stock system will be just fine.

No person shall drive and no owner of a vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any such vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual levels of noise, provided, however, that for motor vehicles, such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment or other equipment that has been submitted to and approved by the Superintendent or meets or exceeds the standards and specifications of the Society of Automotive Engineers, the American National Standards Institute, or the federal Department of Transportation.

This part may be at issue with an H pipe especially if you have the AE set for Sport or Track.

Chambered pipes are not an effective muffling device to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and any vehicle equipped with chambered pipes shall be deemed in violation of this section.

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
This part may be at issue with an H pipe especially if you have the AE set for Sport or Track.

Chambered pipes are not an effective muffling device to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and any vehicle equipped with chambered pipes shall be deemed in violation of this section.
That one is interesting. I'd have to say that chambered pipes are *part* of many stock exhaust systems... so maybe the intent there is for only chambered pipes? That one may need some clarification.

FWIW, I put an X-pipe on my stock non-active exhaust and passed inspection just fine here in MA where we've had stuff like this on the books for a while. Ours is a little more vague about "louder than stock", but AFAIK nobody measures the DB levels of every stock exhaust to compare it to. The issue for the inspection stations here is when people have loud exhausts and the garage doesn't care a lot and passes them. Then these people get caught doing shit and refuse to just take responsibility. They say "the garage gave me a sticker", which then causes fines and potential loss of license for the garage.

Even with all that, it's almost 100% an effort to stop people from causing excessive noise, for an extended period of time, *in the same area*. So you gonna rip your fart-cannon Civic up and down the same street 20 times at 3AM? They should arrest you, and crush the car before dawn IMO. Ditto for straight-pipe Harleys and smoke tuned Cummins/Powerstroke bros at any hour. But a Mustang mostly cruising along and not being a douche? Probably fine.

So as a previous poster summarized "don't be an asshole".

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
its a little funny weed is legal there now but not loud pipes....
šŸ‘½

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
šŸ‘½ F&
Well itā€™s widely known that weed enhances human hearing so it makes sense if youā€™re stoned the pipes sound too loud :)
For me the law should target shitty sounding exhausts.
Cop: ā€œ I pulled you over because your fart cannon is bigger than an apple juice can. And put your f@ckinā€™ ballcap on straight!ā€

OP
OP
Nardly

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
šŸ‘½
Yeah, it's legal but you can't sell or buy it. But for $50 you can go online and get a medical certificate to go to the medical dispensaries.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Just to throw this out thereā€¦ even the exhaust in 100% stock form is ā€œtoo loudā€ if itā€™s in track mode.
Depends. Revving the engine to high RPMs in a residential area, especially late at night or early in the morning, yes. Driving normally on major streets or cruising down the highway, no.

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
šŸ‘½
Loud exhaust noises are probably linked to more deaths than weed. Funny to think about.
Sponsored