New J&M Products Rear Shock Mounts Available Now

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes & Chassis' started by Hotpart.com, Dec 17, 2018.

1. dn1984

dn1984 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
    0   0   0
    i'm using Pedder's shocks in the rear, would i need any kind of spacer?

2. OP
    OP
    Hotpart.com

Hotpart.com Well-Known Member
    Diamond Sponsor

Vehicle(s):
    2002, 2006, 2015 Mustangs
    0   0   0
    They called us the other day about our rear shock mounts. It should install with just the one supplied reducer like a stock shock would.

3. TheMegalodon

TheMegalodon Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle(s):
    Triple Yellow 2015 Mustang GT PP
    0   0   0
    #63 TheMegalodon, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
    After two months of sitting on them, I finally installed my J&M mounts yesterday. They were installed on Koni Active shocks (reds) with the smaller reducer for stock sized shocks I believe. Install went well but the holes for the mounting bolts didn’t leave much room for the bolts to thread through easily. I used the lower mounting holes for additional shock travel. Really cool to see how the spherical bearing can work to reduce deflection. My only concern is dirt and grit from winter driving getting in the bearing. Hope it’s not an issue but I may try to find some kind of cover like the ones ford has for stock mounts.

Driving impressions: only driven a maiden voyage of about 15 kms (9 miles) so far but first impression is positive. I believe the rear shocks are able to work better with the additional travel back because the ride is a touch better; we’ll see how that changes once they’re broken in. The annoying rattle/clunk noise is gone (stock mount’s bushing was toast) but these mounts have a noise to them. With the windows down you can still hear it; with music on you can hear it depending on volume. With windows closed and no music playing it’s easily noticeable. Not sure what it is but I hope it doesn’t get louder. It’s too bad the rear window on the S550 buzzes over bumps because that noise distracts from the firm but controlled ride.

The roads in my city are pretty rough in places with lots of patch work, potholes and cracks from frost heaving and ice expansion, but the rear end manages better over these imperfections now.

Overall I’m happy with how these mounts pair with my BMR763s and Koni Actives and appreciate the lower mounting holes and sturdy construction.

6643E21E-32B8-4C8F-8B3F-8E0DDCB27C1F.jpeg 61EC6AEF-5956-4D6E-9572-7146A4371AA8.jpeg 23BB2994-A2A1-4B6A-A688-2DC75B48B4E8.jpeg

bjstang and StangTime like this.
  4. StangTime

StangTime Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle(s):
    19' GT PP1, Manual
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    #64 StangTime, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
    You could find an appropriately sized rubber cap to fit tight over the raised lip. https://www.mcmaster.com/end-caps/caps-4/round-caps-9/

Is there any concern that the shock boot isn't sealed at the top? Maybe it can't be due to the nature of the spherical bearing pivots?

5. TheMegalodon

First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0

Thanks for the link! This was only because the suspension was in full droop. To use the lower mounting holes I had to jack up the lower control arm a bit so I could screw in the lower bolts. With the car on the ground the dust boot is flat against the base of the shock mount bearing plate.

6. StangTime

StangTime Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle(s):
    19' GT PP1, Manual
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    That makes sense. Your observation about the noise is concerning. I am planning on upgrading to these mounts. Likely why Ford uses rubber in the OEM mount.

7. TheMegalodon

First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    #67 TheMegalodon, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
    To be honest it might be my torque wrench...

I have it in the trunk so I can retorque my summer wheels in a pinch but I just wrapped it in towels after that drive. I’ll have to go for another drive to know for sure. Since no one else has mentioned noise (I don’t see how it’s possible given the design), I don’t think it’s the mounts.

I did a nice long drive today and the mounts were fine. More rough roads to contend with and the rear end felt relatively stable and solid.

bjstang likes this.
  8. TheMegalodon

First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    #68 TheMegalodon, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Update: took the car for another cruise after taking the torque wrench out and the noise is still there. It’s different than the sound the failed stock mount was making. It’s not always there and when I have the music going and the windows down it’s imperceptible. If you’re keeping it quiet with windows up and no music you’ll hear it over multiple rumbly bumps like patched pavement. Oh well

Update 2: went for another fun cruise around my city’s river valley and the ride is great now that the mounts are breaking in more. I had the rear seats down to listen for the noise and it’s minor. Definitely happy I used the lower mounting holes because my shocks finally work their best. That awful rear end sloppiness is gone and it’s firm but not jarring over rough, broken pavement.

I’d say these are likely the best all around shock mount for these cars based on bearing performance, sturdy construction, additional bump travel for lowered cars and wheel clearance

bjstang likes this.
  9. gameovergt

gameovergt Kevin

First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Ford Mustang GT(Auto) DIBM
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    4   0   0
    I have got to get these on my car, lol. Did get the Steeda dust covers in yesterday. Been so busy lately just no time.

bjstang likes this.