Sponsored

New hood isn't painted behind fire blanket

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
I had my stock hood replaced under warranty because of corrosion. The new hood they put on isn't painted where the fire blanket goes.

I don't have my fire blanket because it become moldy. The new hood looks like shit compared to the old one. Isn't Ford obligated to paint the entire hood just as it was?

I think the stock hood was dipped while the replacement is sprayed.
Sponsored

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I had my stock hood replaced under warranty because of corrosion. The new hood they put on isn't painted where the fire blanket goes.

I don't have my fire blanket because it become moldy. The new hood looks like shit compared to the old one. Isn't Ford obligated to paint the entire hood just as it was?

I think the stock hood was dipped while the replacement is sprayed.

You have pix?
Never really heard of any part being dipped.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The inside is sprayed too, but sometimes not clear-coated. I'd reject it too. I wouldn't have thought I needed to mention that either; geez. Good luck.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Dipped? No you can not dip multi-stage paint.
Interesting about dip painting parts. They were done at one time for some hard to paint, out of sight parts, like maybe a hood hinge, battery tray. So they would dip them into a big container.

This is where it gets interesting, the vat was full of water not paint. Only a very shallow layer of usually black enamel was poured into container. The enamel paint would float to top of water. So when item was submerged under the water and the pulled to the top paint would cover part.

This way no paint was wasted

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Are you saying the hood is bare metal underneath with no color - or is it that the color is just dull and not super shiny like the exterior surface?

The underside of the hood should be painted body color. It will be a satin like finish, as there is usually no final prep done like the exterior body panels.

My 2018 underside of hood looks like it may have a thin layer of clear - but it’s certainly not wet sanded/buffed smooth like the exterior panels.

Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup. Rookie lazy painter. Not would have saved enough paint to make a difference.

It's possible body shop manager would only order enough paint that they thought job would take and painter ran short. I doubt that since bottom should be painted first.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
Do all mustang hoods have the Mustang logo stamped into the underside?

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Oooooooh, so OP is talking about the part under the insulator not being painted properly. I'd almost bet my house ALL of our cars are like that. Perfectly expected cost-cutting measure being a Ford, unfortunately.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe shop will give you a used or new pad to go under hood to keep from painting.

In the body shops defense.. sometimes the painter is just that, the painter. Body man preps hood takes to paint booth. Painter may have thought you had factory hood liner. Unless body man told him different, no way for painter to know.

OP
OP

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Maybe shop will give you a used or new pad to go under hood to keep from painting.

In the body shops defense.. sometimes the painter is just that, the painter. Body man preps hood takes to paint booth. Painter may have thought you had factory hood liner. Unless body man told him different, no way for painter to know.
I would think this stuff is standardized just like it is on the service side of the shop...

If you need something replaced under warranty Ford knows exactly how many hours and parts required. It even gives the tech detailed instructions to follow. They definitely know how much paint is needed and the protocol for painting the part.

I'm going to give them a call tomorrow, I don't want a blanket.

OP
OP

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Oooooooh, so OP is talking about the part under the insulator not being painted properly. I'd almost bet my house ALL of our cars are like that. Perfectly expected cost-cutting measure being a Ford, unfortunately.
My stock version was evenly and completely painted. I have a pic somewhere. I haven't used the blanket in years

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Factory hood no insulation
20190323_154843.jpg
Sponsored