Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Hi all,

This may be around but I’m having trouble finding it. Is there a aftermarket head unit that will work with the steering wheel radio controls and can use voice commands? I’d think by now that would be available but I can’t really find anything definitive. I’m looking to replace the base unit with a larger screen type like the stock upgrade. I thought maybe Sony, Pioneer, JVC, Alpine or others would eventually have something that’s plug and play. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
You mean the SYNC voice commands?
No, not that i know of. This would also rather be a point for the integration kits from Metra, Scosche or idatalink if their kits retain the SYNC module.
Steering wheel controls are retained with every integration kit, but not voice commands.
But.... if you use an android phone or iphone you can use their voice command system for Android Auto (hey Google) or Apple CarPlay (hey Siri).

FatPat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
If you want factory integration, then you need to use factory parts. It's pretty easy to upgrade to a sync 3 system, just not cheap. Some programming changes, bolt in new parts, and you're done. If you're good with the myfordtouch system from 2015's, I'm sure you can get them for much less. I know I'd sell mine for cheap if anyone wanted it.

The after market companies have solutions that will work with your steering wheel controls, and use voice, but it will be with their system: external mic, plug in adaptors, aftermarket fitting kits, etc.

OP
OP
Stam616

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
If you want factory integration, then you need to use factory parts. It's pretty easy to upgrade to a sync 3 system, just not cheap. Some programming changes, bolt in new parts, and you're done. If you're good with the myfordtouch system from 2015's, I'm sure you can get them for much less. I know I'd sell mine for cheap if anyone wanted it.

The after market companies have solutions that will work with your steering wheel controls, and use voice, but it will be with their system: external mic, plug in adaptors, aftermarket fitting kits, etc.
I’d be happy using an aftermarket system for voice as long as the steering wheel controls work. Do you know what brands or head units are out there? I go to Crutchfield for example and nothing comes up for my car.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Every Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, Sony will work with a Metra/Scosche kit and most of those radios will work with an idatalink RR and MFT1-kit.
Unfortunately the MFT1 and idatalink RR will not work with the base radio, so your best bet is on the Metra or Scosche kit, depending on your other equipment (HVAC and so on).

Sponsored

OP
OP
Stam616

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Every Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, Sony will work with a Metra/Scosche kit and most of those radios will work with an idatalink RR and MFT1-kit.
Unfortunately the MFT1 and idatalink RR will not work with the base radio, so your best bet is on the Metra or Scosche kit, depending on your other equipment (HVAC and so on).
WHAts a Metra/scosche kit? What’s idatalink RR ? MFT1-kit?