Sponsored

New GT350 owner, saying hi and a couple questions

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Hey guys,

I'm an expat living over in Dubai for a few years. Sold my supercharged 65 mustang before I came over here and told the wife I'd have a break from cars for a bit. Well, 'a bit' has now passed and I'm now the owner of a brand new 18 GT350 in Oxford white.
I was looking at a couple second hand ones here, but they get snapped up very quickly, and most have in the 15-20k miles due to the hwy driving here, which I wasn't very keen on.
Went to the Ford dealership here and they only had the one left in stock, with no plans to bring in the 19 model. They actually weren't sure if they were bringing in the 20 model either, so I thought why not, and picked up the last new GT350 in Dubai and surrounds.
Ended up costing me about 68k usd, which was actually discounted, but beggars can't be choosers right. Ford UAE doesn't like to warranty imported vehicles, and there was no way I was going to import a gt350 with questionable warranty. I ended up getting a 5 year complete coverage warranty, and 3 years free servicing.

I was surprised when I opened the trunk and it had a full size spare sitting in there. Apparently it is a GCC(gulf spec) option to have a full size spare. Apart from that I don't think anything else is different apart from the km/h speedo.

I pick it up tomorrow and will get some pics up when I do.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, now onto a couple questions.

So I have already purchased the Ford Performance springs and passenger oil/air separator. I also just bought a spare trunk lid from a wrecked 17 gt. Plan is to paint it white and fit a carbon gt350r wing to it, as I really like the look of the r wing. Before anyone asks, no, I'm not trying to make it look like an R, I just like how the wing looks on the body of the gt350. I want to do it properly however using another trunk lid.

Does anyone have experience with the Trufiber carbon r wing? I have seen the Anderson wing also, however it seems out of stock everywhere. Has anyone used a fiberglass one instead? How did it flex under speed? Noting I can be driving 90+ mph on the highways here.

Have many of you had your gt350's clear wrapped/ppf'd or ceramic coated. Due to the sandblasting effects that can happen out here on the highway, my first port of call will be to try and protect the paint somehow. Wasn't sure which would be more effective to save the paint, and would the pff start looking aged with the heat and sand blasting? Or is regular ceramic coating the way to go, although expensive to do regularly.

Last question, which is a bit random, is how is the wear and tear on the factory steering wheel/gear knob? Has anyone noticed theres's wearing, and if so how many miles are on it. I would like to keep this in top condition, and had thought about removing the new steering wheel/knob and putting them away in a box for the future. Or am I getting a bit pedantic now?

I want to take this back with me as a private import into Australia when I head back in a couple years, and as Ford didn't sell these in Australia they are rare as hens teeth which is the reason I want to keep it in top condition with full documentation.

I'll put up pics soon.....and a few highway runs after the break in period.
Sponsored

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
First of all, Welcome! Definitely update with pics when you take delivery.

Regarding the coatings, both the PPF and the ceramic are great, and can be used in combination. First do the ceramic coat, allow it to fully cure (timing depends on the manufacturer recommendation), and then do the film. I've had a quality PPF on my other car (Audi RS4) for 12 years, and it has done very well. Only the bumper and hood needed to be replaced after 10 years, but the rest of the car looks great. The replacement was because of wear and tear (bugs, rocks, sand) that caused the film to no longer be smooth, and to have some lifts at the edges (the RS4 bumper design is intricate). The paint underneath was perfect.

For the wheel and knob, most folks recommend SONAX alcantara cleaner. After 8k on my '18, my wheel still looks good, but I'll be cleaning it soon. The knob isn't alcantara, so it will wear much better - although I removed mine for a MGW unit, so I can't confirm.

RugbyRef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome! Congrats on your new GT350. Loved Dubai when I was there...lots of things to do if you're an outside adventurer.

OP
OP
huskeee

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Welcome! Congrats on your new GT350. Loved Dubai when I was there...lots of things to do if you're an outside adventurer.
Cheers. Look if it wasn't for the summer which is an absolute ball breaker, I could live here for while. But the car scene here is pretty random, and finding a decent workshop is like trying to find a needle in haystack. Which is why I need warranty on my cars

OP
OP
huskeee

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
First of all, Welcome! Definitely update with pics when you take delivery.

Regarding the coatings, both the PPF and the ceramic are great, and can be used in combination. First do the ceramic coat, allow it to fully cure (timing depends on the manufacturer recommendation), and then do the film. I've had a quality PPF on my other car (Audi RS4) for 12 years, and it has done very well. Only the bumper and hood needed to be replaced after 10 years, but the rest of the car looks great. The replacement was because of wear and tear (bugs, rocks, sand) that caused the film to no longer be smooth, and to have some lifts at the edges (the RS4 bumper design is intricate). The paint underneath was perfect.

For the wheel and knob, most folks recommend SONAX alcantara cleaner. After 8k on my '18, my wheel still looks good, but I'll be cleaning it soon. The knob isn't alcantara, so it will wear much better - although I removed mine for a MGW unit, so I can't confirm.
Thanks! I never though of doing both, but to be honest I haven't really researched it much yet. Do you know if you can use a good ceramic coating on top of ppf also? Might be worth it over here.

Sponsored

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Many people coat the PPF film as well, but only because it is already on the car. :)

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
Thanks! I never though of doing both, but to be honest I haven't really researched it much yet. Do you know if you can use a good ceramic coating on top of ppf also? Might be worth it over here.
Yes you can do the coating over the PPF. That's how the front bumper on my car is done. PPF there, then ceramic on the whole car.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Welcome to the site and GT350 ownership!

Can you post pics of the “full size spare” and any more info about it and what else was included in the trunk kit for it? Is it a matching full size Shelby production rim, or some other type?

Usually if a full size (to match other wheels on car) is installed in the trunk well, it sits higher and renders the common fiberboard cover useless. Did they leave the fiberboard over it - or is it a “full size - mini” spare that you’re referring to?

What’s the penalty for speeding in Dubai?

orangegrower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - 2019 Aston Martin Vantage - 2019 Ranger Lariat
Can you post pics of the “full size spare” and any more info about it and what else was included in the trunk kit for it? Is it a matching full size Shelby production rim, or some other type?
Here is a post with all the information on a Ford full sized spare for the GT350.

Shelby GT350 Ford Spare Tire Kit

OP
OP
huskeee

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Welcome to the site and GT350 ownership!

Usually if a full size (to match other wheels on car) is installed in the trunk well, it sits higher and renders the common fiberboard cover useless. Did they leave the fiberboard over it - or is it a “full size - mini” spare that you’re referring to?

What’s the penalty for speeding in Dubai?
Yes will do tonight. I only had a quick glance but look like a full size Shelby front wheel. It was actually mounted on top of the cover, with instructions to mount it underneath on receipt. Unsure if the cover is modified to fit or it will sit high, I will find out soon though.

So it's a little different here that what I am used to with speeding fines. There are speeding cameras literally everywhere. On the main highways you have them about every 1000 meters. But they use an incremental fine, so up to 10km over, up to 20km over etc. Everything up to 50km over is just a fine, no license black point, no issue. You can rack up a thousand of them if you want, you'll just be broke. Over that you accrue black points and car impoundment. Most people I work with get fined weekly, about 80usd for an up to 10km over fine.

Yes you can do the coating over the PPF. That's how the front bumper on my car is done. PPF there, then ceramic on the whole car.
Thanks heaps I'll look into it.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Since you brought it up, and I picked up on your desire to do things right, there are only a couple options that meet my standards for a R wing. A real one, which is typically going to be extremely cost prohibitive. SpeedKore, which is currently the only company making an exact R replica. No, the Anderson one is not. If you'll notice when you go to Andersons website, it does not show up when you search for GT350 parts; it only shows up when you search for Mustang parts. However comma...rumor has it Anderson plans on making a exact R replica with the elusive dog bone brackets available as well. I'm holding out for this. Nothing else is a consideration for me personally.

Shift knob is not alcanatara so it should hold up like anything else. Steering wheel will hold up with the appropriate care. Mine isn't a DD, so I clean it after just about every drive stint. I use Adam's upholstery cleaner diluted 3:1 with a small cockpit brush and brush it lightly to keep the fibers listed. After 10K miles, you'd swear my wheel has never been touched.

Digitalwiz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Stage 2 / 2012 Audi R8
Just a comment on your statement about making it look like an R. Bro, do whatever you want. Make it look like a Ferrari if you want. Anyone judging you on how you kit out your ride is a idiot. It’s yours to modify to suit. Have a blast with it. Congratulations!.

I recently saw an article where I guy made his Chevy car look like a Bugatti Chiron. I thought wow, good for him and laughed.

I wouldn’t spend much extra money on paint protection. There’s little roi on it as these cars depreciate pretty hard in the first few years and nobody will give you five bucks more for ppf. I had my last car mostly covered with xpel stealth at 4K and got jack squat for the investment when I sold it.

some may say that its not for resale, its for you. If that’s the case, go for it, but if its to help preserve the value of the car, i recommend passing. Most of these cars are traded into dealers when we’re done with them and they don’t pay for ppf.

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
I wouldn’t spend much extra money on paint protection. There’s little roi on it as these cars depreciate pretty hard in the first few years and nobody will give you five bucks more for ppf. I had my last car mostly covered with xpel stealth at 4K and got jack squat for the investment when I sold it.

some may say that its not for resale, its for you. If that’s the case, go for it, but if its to help preserve the value of the car, i recommend passing. Most of these cars are traded into dealers when we’re done with them and they don’t pay for ppf.
Good advice here. I did my PPF and ceramic for me. I want the car to stay looking as good as possible for as long as possible, but I know there's no way I'm ever recovering any part of that investment.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Hey guys,

I'm an expat living over in Dubai for a few years. Sold my supercharged 65 mustang before I came over here and told the wife I'd have a break from cars for a bit. Well, 'a bit' has now passed and I'm now the owner of a brand new 18 GT350 in Oxford white.
I was looking at a couple second hand ones here, but they get snapped up very quickly, and most have in the 15-20k miles due to the hwy driving here, which I wasn't very keen on.
Went to the Ford dealership here and they only had the one left in stock, with no plans to bring in the 19 model. They actually weren't sure if they were bringing in the 20 model either, so I thought why not, and picked up the last new GT350 in Dubai and surrounds.
Ended up costing me about 68k usd, which was actually discounted, but beggars can't be choosers right. Ford UAE doesn't like to warranty imported vehicles, and there was no way I was going to import a gt350 with questionable warranty. I ended up getting a 5 year complete coverage warranty, and 3 years free servicing.

I was surprised when I opened the trunk and it had a full size spare sitting in there. Apparently it is a GCC(gulf spec) option to have a full size spare. Apart from that I don't think anything else is different apart from the km/h speedo.

I pick it up tomorrow and will get some pics up when I do.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, now onto a couple questions.

So I have already purchased the Ford Performance springs and passenger oil/air separator. I also just bought a spare trunk lid from a wrecked 17 gt. Plan is to paint it white and fit a carbon gt350r wing to it, as I really like the look of the r wing. Before anyone asks, no, I'm not trying to make it look like an R, I just like how the wing looks on the body of the gt350. I want to do it properly however using another trunk lid.

Does anyone have experience with the Trufiber carbon r wing? I have seen the Anderson wing also, however it seems out of stock everywhere. Has anyone used a fiberglass one instead? How did it flex under speed? Noting I can be driving 90+ mph on the highways here.

Have many of you had your gt350's clear wrapped/ppf'd or ceramic coated. Due to the sandblasting effects that can happen out here on the highway, my first port of call will be to try and protect the paint somehow. Wasn't sure which would be more effective to save the paint, and would the pff start looking aged with the heat and sand blasting? Or is regular ceramic coating the way to go, although expensive to do regularly.

Last question, which is a bit random, is how is the wear and tear on the factory steering wheel/gear knob? Has anyone noticed theres's wearing, and if so how many miles are on it. I would like to keep this in top condition, and had thought about removing the new steering wheel/knob and putting them away in a box for the future. Or am I getting a bit pedantic now?

I want to take this back with me as a private import into Australia when I head back in a couple years, and as Ford didn't sell these in Australia they are rare as hens teeth which is the reason I want to keep it in top condition with full documentation.

I'll put up pics soon.....and a few highway runs after the break in period.
Welcome and congrats on the GT350!!!

Seems like others have answered your questions.

When you post pics, can you get one of the spare wheel you have, with a closeup of the part number?

Does it fit in the well in the trunk with the cover flat?

Thanks and welcome again. Check out the GT350 Basics sticky in my sig, feel free to add your observations!!!

OP
OP
huskeee

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Just a comment on your statement about making it look like an R. Bro, do whatever you want. Make it look like a Ferrari if you want. Anyone judging you on how you kit out your ride is a idiot. It’s yours to modify to suit. Have a blast with it. Congratulations!.

I recently saw an article where I guy made his Chevy car look like a Bugatti Chiron. I thought wow, good for him and laughed.

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah I've always been one to do things my way. You should have seen the flak I copped from enthusiasts for modifying my 65. I'll put some photos up of it soon.

So I'm looking at bringing it back with me to Australia, and as these arent sold there they actually fetch a high price. In fact the only way you can currently bring them in is if you have owned it overseas for at least 1 year and have permanently moved back. I know of only 2 I Australia. So I really want to keep it in good condition.
Sponsored