Sponsored

New Getrag MTI550 manual gearbox- coming to Mustang?

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly, Getrag has made excellent manual transmissions for Porsche for decades now. Don't demonize a good company for one polarizing MT82.
I love my mt82! I have over 30k miles with dozens of passes on slicks and she shifts perfectly. Also the last 5k miles or so have been boosted and she's been welcoming the extra hp with open arms. Possibly, I could of got a unicorn but either way I have no complaints.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Increasing numbers of gears might surpass my ability to discern finely enough when to go to what exactly. Like when I used to golf, I had only odd numbered irons, and wouldn't know when to choose say a 6 iron over a 5 or 7.

That and my hamfisted self is used to 3rd and 4th being directly up and down from the neutral position and everything else involving just yanking all the way to the left or right. I'd be able to tell afterward whether I landed in 5th or 7th say, but probably not until after, unless I developed some amazing new powers of finesse.

7th being locked out until pulling up on the collar say would probably work for me, tho.
Just use all the odd numbered gears. In our old f350 flatbed I usually shift 1-3-5 or 2-4-5 in it unless Im pulling something

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I love my mt82! I have over 30k miles with dozens of passes on slicks and she shifts perfectly.
and you have the '15 version at that - so yeah probably on the unicorn end of the spectrum. Or maybe it was a Tuesday or Wednesday assembly. My '19 used to fight me on 2-3 shift but once I put in the Steeda inserts and rear mount it behaves significantly better. It's still no where near the "my wish is your command" level of the Tremec (Camaro) or the cable-actuated ZF in the GTI though. My old Mazda3 happily changed gears under any load condition so there is something just plain wrong with the MT82 design and or machining/assembly.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Aaaarrrrgh! There are too many gotchas in these sports cars today! I'm looking to get a domestic RWD V8 manual car, but I'm having a hard time deciding what I want.

I keep coming back to the S550 (although a 2013/14 Boss 302 would be the tits), but the crappy AC keeps me looking at these sideways. Looks like 2018+ cars have the AC issues all but settled. And now there's the MT82, which is either the worst transmission in the world, or blown out of proportion.

The Corvettes from 97-2019 have clutch master cylinder issues, which allow for contaminates to get into the reservoir, and cause the pedal to not return to the up position, or cause missed shifts. Dat Ranger method, tho.

Most of my research on the Camaro tells me there are some issues with the platform, but overall, nothing too common or major as long as I stay away from the 8 speed auto. I would really love a 2016+ ZL1, but they don't depreciate.

I'm mainly just obsessing over trivial details (and I may be a few drinks in....shhhhhhhh), but I'm just nervous to pull the trigger on something that's going to cost $30K+, and I don't want buyer's remorse.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I love my mt82
Yeah me too! Awesome trans, shifts great, zero issues with speed shifting. Lots of 1/4 mile runs, tracking, rush hour traffic etc.

Sponsored

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Seven gear manual? It must be awful. How can you tell fifth from seventh?
What's the point, anyway? Six gears are already one too many.
Having driven a 7speed 911 and a 7 speed C7, it works very well. 5 gears is definitely not enough. It would be great if they had the same ratio spread but make 5th 1 to 1 again and then still allow 2 over drive gears for highway cruising.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
although a 2013/14 Boss 302 would be the tits
how about a still new, "zero" mile black Leguna Seca edition. For a stupid price no doubt. One owner, cherry GT500's pop up now and again too - one I looked at was mid $30k with something like 5000 miles.

buyer's remorse is unavoidable at one level or another. It's a roll of the dice, just like the rest of life unfortunately. Detroit doesn't understand the concept of repeatable perfection, unfortunately.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
how about a still new, "zero" mile black Leguna Seca edition. For a stupid price no doubt. One owner, cherry GT500's pop up now and again too - one I looked at was mid $30k with something like 5000 miles.

buyer's remorse is unavoidable at one level or another. It's a roll of the dice, just like the rest of life unfortunately. Detroit doesn't understand the concept of repeatable perfection, unfortunately.
What brake upgrade options are available for the s197? That's where I have read the boss and the Gt500 fall apart.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I love my mt82! I have over 30k miles with dozens of passes on slicks and she shifts perfectly. Also the 5k miles or so have been boosted and she's been welcoming the extra hp with open arms. Possibly, I could of got a unicorn but either way I have no complaints.
My MT82 in my 2011 GT went to over 190K miles when I sold it and it was still working fine. Never changed the fluid or the clutch. It never failed me.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Hell, I'd take an 8spd manual if I could get it. More gears means you can have better everything. Better performance, better MPGs. You could also do a lower final-drive ratio.
Performance and MPG aren't everything in life. It also matters how easy and comfortable it would be to use.
For performance and MPG there's the A10.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Seven gear manual? It must be awful. How can you tell fifth from seventh?
What's the point, anyway? Six gears are already one too many.
I don't mind having 6 gears, but I agree that 7 is generally more than you need. Lots of gears are for heavy vehicles with tiny engines that have very little RPM range (think diesel). 5 performance gears and one overdrive are plenty IMO.

I love my mt82! I have over 30k miles with dozens of passes on slicks and she shifts perfectly. Also the last 5k miles or so have been boosted and she's been welcoming the extra hp with open arms. Possibly, I could of got a unicorn but either way I have no complaints.
I think the complaints on the MT82 are mostly unfair and over exaggerated. I had a 2015 GT daily and I really liked the MT82 in it. When I went to the GT350 the Tremec box felt meh to me in comparison to the MT82.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When I went to the GT350 the Tremec box felt meh to me in comparison to the MT82.
The Tremec doesn't "fight" you and doesn't have the very strong detents that the MT82 has. So it could be characterized as being "mush" or uncommunicative. I will give you that. There are times that I've wondered 'is the trans in gear?' in the 'maro but with the Mustang you sure know it is. The MT82 action feels 'forced' whereas the Tremec is not exactly 'snick' but nothing like the former.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The SECOND I drove my GT350 off the lot I thought immediately that the Voodoo engine is a prime candidate for a 7 speed manual.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The Tremec doesn't "fight" you and doesn't have the very strong detents that the MT82 has. So it could be characterized as being "mush" or uncommunicative. I will give you that. There are times that I've wondered 'is the trans in gear?' in the 'maro but with the Mustang you sure know it is. The MT82 action feels 'forced' whereas the Tremec is not exactly 'snick' but nothing like the former.
I felt like the MT82 was faster shifting and smoother shifts. When I went to the GT350 I felt I had to be more deliberate and slower with my shifts.

However, I live in a cool climate and the Tremec box only gets better the hotter it gets. On track or on a warm day driving around town, the Tremec was great. Especially after I lowered my expectations a little and slowed down my shifting. It really didn't like fast shifts as much as the MT82. The MT82 was awesome in that regard.

And I realize for the road course you don't need super fast shifts. It's just that I enjoy shifting quickly at times. I think it's fun. And the Tremec really didn't like that.
Sponsored