Sponsored

New Getrag MTI550 manual gearbox- coming to Mustang?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Ford needs to put Getrag by the curb and just go TREMEC all the way...
Getrag has made some outstanding manual gearboxes. Don't assume just because it's Getrag that it's also the MT82.

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
Getrag has made some outstanding manual gearboxes. Don't assume just because it's Getrag that it's also the MT82.
Exactly, Getrag has made excellent manual transmissions for Porsche for decades now. Don't demonize a good company for one polarizing MT82.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Exactly, Getrag has made excellent manual transmissions for Porsche for decades now. Don't demonize a good company for one polarizing MT82.
And Tremec has dropped the ball too here and there. The first iteration of the TR6060 in the 09 ZR1 had a really bad habit of sending the 2nd gear synchro into the abyss.

draph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6MT PP1
Given this transmission has the same interface as the A10 (based on the fact the Bronco will offer the A10), suggests there's some feasibility for an AWD Mustang with Coyote and 6MT. ...or as someone noted above, the Aviator hybrid drivetrain and 6MT with all its hp and big torque...

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I'm not quite sure if Ford would really invest in a completely new gearbox so late in the model. The facelift seems to be very minor like minimal exterior changes and adding SYNC4. With the sales slowly declining, I don't see the point for Ford to invest a lot of money here when Gen 7 launching in 2022.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I'm not quite sure if Ford would really invest in a completely new gearbox so late in the model. The facelift seems to be very minor like minimal exterior changes and adding SYNC4. With the sales slowly declining, I don't see the point for Ford to invest a lot of money here when Gen 7 launching in 2022.
That's a good point, Ace, and I did think that. However, introducing it for the '21MY would mean there's two years to iron out any kinks before S650/'23MY. It'd be one less thing to worry about for the next-gen Mustang......kind of the opposite to what they did with the '10....all new body/interior, then new engines/gearboxes a year later.

But, I wouldn't be surprised to see them wait.

:like:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Seven gear manual? It must be awful. How can you tell fifth from seventh?
What's the point, anyway? Six gears are already one too many.

Last edited:

Sponsored

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
The C7 Corvette is a 7 speed and I don't think there's a lot of complaints from them, I could be wrong though.

Reactions: kz

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Only complaint I hear about the 7 speed manual in the C7 is the notchiness of the stock shifter.

I'll be curious what the gear ratios are. In the Corvette, the C6 had a 6th gear ratio between .50-.57, depending on model. The C7 has a 7th gear ratio of between .42-.48, depending on model. The C7 offered better fuel economy compared to a similar model C6. If the next gen Mustang wouldn't benefit from the 7 speed manual from a CAFE standpoint, it won't be installed in the Mustang.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Hell, I'd take an 8spd manual if I could get it. More gears means you can have better everything. Better performance, better MPGs. You could also do a lower final-drive ratio.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
I think here the '7th' is an optional crawler gear... this is the best evidence yet that Bronco will have a MT..

Also very common for Ford to stagger major part launches a year or 2 before body refreshes... 5.0 small block -> 4.6 , then 4.6 -> 5.0 coyote and so on...

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hell, I'd take an 8spd manual if I could get it. More gears means you can have better everything. Better performance, better MPGs. You could also do a lower final-drive ratio.
Increasing numbers of gears might surpass my ability to discern finely enough when to go to what exactly. Like when I used to golf, I had only odd numbered irons, and wouldn't know when to choose say a 6 iron over a 5 or 7.

That and my hamfisted self is used to 3rd and 4th being directly up and down from the neutral position and everything else involving just yanking all the way to the left or right. I'd be able to tell afterward whether I landed in 5th or 7th say, but probably not until after, unless I developed some amazing new powers of finesse.

7th being locked out until pulling up on the collar say would probably work for me, tho.
Sponsored