Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Very cool... these kids did an awesome job and deserve the coolest car at SEMA award! I love seeing the passion passed down to the next generation.

http://autoweek.com/article/sema-show/1972-ford-maverick-project-underdog-might-be-coolest-car-sema

1972 Ford Maverick 'Project Underdog' might be the coolest car at SEMA

TEAM OF HIGH SCHOOL KIDS BUILT THIS COOL FORD WITH HELP FROM SUNG KANG

Sung Kang, best known for his role in "Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift" and other films in the franchise, led a team of students from Alhambra High School in Alhambra, California, through the restoration and customization of this gorgeous 1972 Ford Maverick. The goal for the Maverick, dubbed "Project Underdog," was to create a classic road-race inspired street car with a modern tuning twist.

To that end, powering the vintage Ford isn’t the common Windsor-based small-block Ford, Coyote 5.0-liter V8 or even a Chevrolet LS engine. Instead, the group decided on a 2.3-liter I4 EcoBoost ripped from a Ford Mustang. The engine was further modified by GReddy with a larger turbocharger.

The car won the corporate design award at this year’s SEMA Show. While that alone might be impressive, we say the car also takes a more prestigious honor: being the coolest car at the Las Vegas Convention Center this week. Unlike some of the more overwrought SEMA show cars, this Maverick exhibits styling restraint and ingenuity. Best of all, the build taught high school students real-world skills and helped get them more deeply involved in car culture.

Sadly, being the coolest car doesn't come with any cash prize or tangible trophy -- just bragging rights.

The build was filmed and is part of a series of videos on YouTube, which recently uploaded the fifth installment. By watching the videos, you get to know the young car-builders-in-training and a sense of what went into Project Underdog. The series doesn’t show off the finished example yet, but the gallery above does.
EB Maverick.jpg

[ame]
Sponsored

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Always liked the body style of the Maverick. Don't dig the fender mirrors but understand the intent.....very, very clean build.

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible with Performance Pack
WOW! Bad Ass! Well done!

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Nice. Would like to see a close-up pic of the engine bay.

Sponsored

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I had a '72 Maverick Grabber as one of my first cars after getting my license in '86, but it sure as H*LL didn't look like this! I noticed they have the original Grabber hood like I had. Well done to these young men, they did a nice job.

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Very nice. I liked the Cadillac ATS-V turned into a 48 Cadillac too.
Sponsored