Sponsored

New drivetrain noise (creaking on takeoff)

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Yes red. There's a pinned post somewhere on the site that has everything about the axle nut issue. It requires a 32mm socket to remove so red loctite wont cause an issue with removing.
Here is a page from Ford Performance about installing the half shaft and it has the torque and say blue loctite.

Screenshot_20210504-153250_Write on PDF.jpg

OP
OP

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
Here is a page from Ford Performance about installing the half shaft and it has the torque and say blue loctite.

Screenshot_20210504-153250_Write on PDF.jpg
Well obviously people have found issues with that, hence the post I linked to you from the BMR rep. 150 ft/lbs is no where near the max ft/lbs torque spec for the thread size of the cv axle. A class 4.6 nut and bolt (essentially the worst quality metric fastener) is still good got around 160 ft/lbs at that thread size.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Well obviously people have found issues with that, hence the post I linked to you from the BMR rep. 150 ft/lbs is no where near the max ft/lbs torque spec for the thread size of the cv axle. A class 4.6 nut and bolt (essentially the worst quality metric fastener) is still good got around 160 ft/lbs at that thread size.
I'm sure you're right about all that but Ford doesn't agree with it. As for me I'm going with what Ford says to do, especially the loctite. Maybe BMR goes higher due to racing requirements, but then the post I did is from Ford Racing soooo....

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I know there is this thread. I am telling you what Ford OEM manual says - not sure why are you debating it. - you're saying manufacturer of your car calls out incorrect torque or something else ?

Also note that it changed from 15-17 cars (I have both manuals since I've had '15 - torque went down, also nut got redesigned and not sure what else).

I've re-installed new nuts this winter after doing suspension work using that exact manual torque, no loctite of any kind. Nothing is coming loose, and if it was supposed, it already would have.

Screenshot 2021-05-04 202256.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know there is this thread. I am telling you what Ford OEM manual says - not sure why are you debating it. - you're saying manufacturer of your car calls out incorrect torque or something else ?

Also note that it changed from 15-17 cars (I have both manuals since I've had '15 - torque went down, also nut got redesigned and not sure what else).

I've re-installed new nuts this winter after doing suspension work using that exact manual torque, no loctite of any kind. Nothing is coming loose, and if it was supposed, it already would have.

Screenshot 2021-05-04 202256.jpg
manufacturers make mistakes and issue TSB’s all the time. Like I said, obviously there’s a problem if so many people having issues to the point where there’s a forum post with people have done testing and found a way that actually works. These cars are assembled per fords instruction, so why are axle nuts coming loose if Ford’s way works without fail?

Bottom line, 150 ft/lbs is not going to hurt anything. The wheel lug nuts, which are much smaller thread, are specified to be torqued to 150 ft/lbs themselves. 150-200 ft/lbs is a VERY common torque spec for 24+ mm thread cv axles across all manufacturers.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
CCPZ-3B477-G is the newest revision
going to get ford to replace this as soon as they can get the part, in addition to the thrust washer.

did you have a chance to listen to my video? Same noise?

OP
OP

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
going to get ford to replace this as soon as they can get the part, in addition to the thrust washer.

did you have a chance to listen to my video? Same noise?
That’s pretty much the same exact noise that mine had, except it would pop rapidly 2-3 times rather than just once. Hopefully that axle nut change works for you

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I can tell you this issue is pretty common. My '17 V6 (I bought brand new) I swapped the 3.15 rear for a 3.55 rear. My car only had a few thousand miles on it. There was NO way that my rear axle nuts were torqued to spec - or they had worked loose. And the new axle nuts I purchased from Ford had loctite already applied. The OEM ones did not appear to have anything applied.

First time I rotated the tires on my '19 GT (bought new) I torqued the axle nuts - no way they were to spec either.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
That’s pretty much the same exact noise that mine had, except it would pop rapidly 2-3 times rather than just once. Hopefully that axle nut change works for you
thanks. Same here - sometime a couple of clicks.

will let you know in a few days how it goes. Parts in stock so will be with ford in the next day or 2.
Sponsored