Sponsored

New drivetrain noise (creaking on takeoff)

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
I have a 2017 GT premium w/ the MT82 at 48k miles and it has developed a new clicking/creaking noise in the drivetrain right as the car starts moving. If I start moving in first and the noise happens, and I stop and take off again, there is no noise. But if go into reverse and start moving, the noise comes back. It only happens for a second or so as I start moving and doesn't stay. I haven't been able to crawl up under and see what it could be but I am guessing its something with the driveshaft of half shafts since it seems to happen as the car changes direction forward and backward. Any ideas?
Sponsored

garbancillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MUSTANG GT 10R80
For some similar noise I´ve got mine at the workshop right now. I suspect from the front left shock absorber strut mount, but techs have not confirmed yet. Only 12,800 kms (8,000 miles) and one year and a half. Damn!!

OP
OP

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For some similar noise I´ve got mine at the workshop right now. I suspect from the front left shock absorber strut mount, but techs have not confirmed yet. Only 12,800 kms (8,000 miles) and one year and a half. Damn!!
I'd like to know what they find for you. I'm sure the sound for me is coming out of the driveshaft/rear end area. I haven't been able to be outside the car to listen for it yet so there's no telling. I am going to try and get a new set of axle shaft nuts and torque them properly as a lot of people seem to have their originals come loose and cause all sorts of weird noises.

garbancillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MUSTANG GT 10R80
And well, problem not solved. The noise is still there. Not so loud but still audible

Sponsored

OP
OP

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And well, problem not solved. The noise is still there. Not so loud but still audible
Fixed mine last night. Ended up being the cv axle nuts. Replaced them with the revised nuts from Ford and torqued them to 150 ft/lbs + 1/8 turn with red locutite. Drivetrain is dead silent now. If you have a similar noise from the rear wheel area, yours may be getting loose.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Wow, first thread i looked at. Was trying to find a suitable section to post my issue but the op post describes it perfectly. I’m assuming this is a metallic click/creak?

I actually have a video which i’ll upload shortly. I’d describe the method of replicating the noise as the transfer of weight - e.g. from forward to reverse

Been in and out of Ford the last week or so, will explain more in my next post.

OP
OP

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, first thread i looked at. Was trying to find a suitable section to post my issue but the op post describes it perfectly. I’m assuming this is a metallic click/creak?

I actually have a video which i’ll upload shortly. I’d describe the method of replicating the noise as the transfer of weight - e.g. from forward to reverse

Been in and out of Ford the last week or so, will explain more in my next post.
Yes it was a metallic creaking noise. Like thin metal binding or under tension. I looked over my exhaust initially because it sounded like hollow exhaust piping being contacted or binding up.

If I were you, I would go ahead and have the axle nuts changed. They cost about $2.00 per from my local dealership and didn’t take long to change. It’s a peace of mind regardless of whether or not that’s what’s making the noise for you since they tend to come loose at random times anyways

OP
OP

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red, not blue ?
Yes red. There's a pinned post somewhere on the site that has everything about the axle nut issue. It requires a 32mm socket to remove so red loctite wont cause an issue with removing.

Sponsored

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Fixed mine last night. Ended up being the cv axle nuts. Replaced them with the revised nuts from Ford and torqued them to 150 ft/lbs + 1/8 turn with red locutite. Drivetrain is dead silent now. If you have a similar noise from the rear wheel area, yours may be getting loose.
Are you sure about torque and extra turn? Everything I found when doing mine, including a CJ pony parts video, said 98 ft on torque and 1/4 turn more. Mine is a 2019 GT if that matters.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Are you sure about torque and extra turn? Everything I found when doing mine, including a CJ pony parts video, said 98 ft on torque and 1/4 turn more. Mine is a 2019 GT if that matters.
2018 Manual says 85 ft-ln and then 30 degrees turn. 98 ft-lb was 15-17 spec I think.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Yes it was a metallic creaking noise. Like thin metal binding or under tension. I looked over my exhaust initially because it sounded like hollow exhaust piping being contacted or binding up.
Yep, spot on.

Hopefully this video works - first one i’ve done!

First i’ll mention a (possible) related issue from last week. I had a rubbery creaking noise coming from that corner as per the video, and Ford diagnosed as a faulty rubber seal inside the shock absorber. Replaced that and said noise does seem to have gone. I could replicate that by bouncing the rear end. That was a louder “creak” however, and may or may not have disguised the noise in the video.

Ford have checked all the bolts thoroughly, at one point suspected the brake pads were moving in the carriers but after testing that theory today they are saying it’s not the pads.

To Ford, that only left the driveshaft which they suggested replacing. At £550 just for the part, you’ll understand why i’m reluctant!

Anyway, to my knowledge they’ve only checked the torques on bolts and not loosened/re tightened and certainly not replaced. That will be my first stop, the axle nuts.

Anyone have the part # handy?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
2018 Manual says 85 ft-ln and then 30 degrees turn. 98 ft-lb was 15-17 spec I think.
Either way it ain't 150...lol. If I remember correctly the 1/4 turn is appropriately the 30 degrees.
Sponsored