Sponsored

New cold air kit from PMAS No tune required.

SneakySteed

@sneakysteed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Shadow Black Mustang GT Premium PP
Every mass airflow sensor has what's called a maf transfer function. This is a table of output (hz or V) vs an airflow. It's the function used by the ecu to make calculations based on engine airflow. When you take a maf sensor out of the original intake and install it in a larger tube, it will require more airflow to get the same original output. This is why a tune is required with most good performing kits.
Some kits that don't require a tune either use OEM size tube or and OEM maf sized insert so the maf output is "close" to stock and they let fuel trims correct their errors. This way usually results in very little gain as you neck down the pipe size to make it run.

Since we manufacture mass air sensors we can calibrate the sensor to have the output of an OEM maf installed in the OEM air box, even though our maf is installed in a 120mm tube.

With our tune required kit we supply the correct transfer function that you will end up with when you install your factory maf into our 120mm tube.

This means you don't need to build a tune for our kit. You only swap the OEM maf transfer function with ours. We can do this because we have the correct equipment to extract the exact maf transfer function for a given maf system. We provide this data to FORD, Roush, Whipple, EPA, and a bunch of others.

This also means you can take your existing tune and just change the maf transfer function for our kit to work with your tune.

All the other cold air companies that require a tune spend hours on the dyno tuning and guessing what they think the maf transfer function is for their kit.

Temps.. We see about 2-3 degrees over outside air at 65mph and about 10 over at 25mph. We have tested this for years and an increase in flow ALWAYS makes more power than a more restrictive system that attempts to pull all the air twice as far away because it's cooler. Our kit picked up 20WHP in a room on a dyno sitting on one place with a fan on the front of the car. I assure you it makes more with the car actually moving down the street.
I would make this more concise and put it up on your website in the description for the systems. Pretty much answers any and all questions I had when I clicked into this thread for the first time (ever) 5 minutes ago.

Nice to see actual engineering work being performed here. Seems nowadays its more of how good are you at marketing, vs how good you are at designing functional components. Will definitely be ordering a PMAS intake when the time comes:thumbsup:
Sponsored

OP
OP

PMAS

Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PMAS-MAF.com
Vehicle(s)
multiple
I would make this more concise and put it up on your website in the description for the systems. Pretty much answers any and all questions I had when I clicked into this thread for the first time (ever) 5 minutes ago.

Nice to see actual engineering work being performed here. Seems nowadays its more of how good are you at marketing, vs how good you are at designing functional components. Will definitely be ordering a PMAS intake when the time comes:thumbsup:
Thank you! I try to put up good information but sometimes I feel like i get too technical. I'm glad someone else notices that the cold air market sometimes turns into who is better at marketing instead of making parts that work and letting the parts speak for themselves.

I kick myself for not getting into intake systems sooner. All we have ever done here is airflow R&D. If we couldn't design a kit that outperformed everyone else I would be embarrassed.

SneakySteed

@sneakysteed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I try to put up good information but sometimes I feel like i get too technical.
There are many among us that appreciate exactly that kind of info. This is a strength and differentiator from others in the market, capitalize on it :cheers:

OP
OP

PMAS

Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PMAS-MAF.com
Vehicle(s)
multiple
There are many among us that appreciate exactly that kind of info. This is a strength and differentiator from others in the market, capitalize on it :cheers:
Will do!

Side note, we will soon have tunes from Dennis Gomes (whipple/Tasca) and Jimmy LaRocca (The MAN) available for our kits.

jwillis1204

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Potentially stupid question here--are the filters pre-oiled, or do I need to oil before use? Seems like mine has a little bit of oily residue on the black plastic pieces of the filter assembly, so I thought I'd ask.

Sponsored

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 301A A10, Modded N/A 1993 coupe 5.0L
Just place a order! Being able to use my OEM MAF sensor like the Jlt was the deal breaker!

Let see how it compare to my Jlt. Hope it work and bring me closer to 10.90's .

Hope it will be home soon!

Last edited:

Jayme

DoggystyleRacing®
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aedhp.com
First Name
Jayme
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Any update steph?

SneakySteed

@sneakysteed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any word on availability/pricing on a PMAS intake/tune combo?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Every mass airflow sensor has what's called a maf transfer function. This is a table of output (hz or V) vs an airflow. It's the function used by the ecu to make calculations based on engine airflow. When you take a maf sensor out of the original intake and install it in a larger tube, it will require more airflow to get the same original output. This is why a tune is required with most good performing kits.
Some kits that don't require a tune either use OEM size tube or and OEM maf sized insert so the maf output is "close" to stock and they let fuel trims correct their errors. This way usually results in very little gain as you neck down the pipe size to make it run.

Since we manufacture mass air sensors we can calibrate the sensor to have the output of an OEM maf installed in the OEM air box, even though our maf is installed in a 120mm tube.

With our tune required kit we supply the correct transfer function that you will end up with when you install your factory maf into our 120mm tube.

This means you don't need to build a tune for our kit. You only swap the OEM maf transfer function with ours. We can do this because we have the correct equipment to extract the exact maf transfer function for a given maf system. We provide this data to FORD, Roush, Whipple, EPA, and a bunch of others.

This also means you can take your existing tune and just change the maf transfer function for our kit to work with your tune.

All the other cold air companies that require a tune spend hours on the dyno tuning and guessing what they think the maf transfer function is for their kit.

Temps.. We see about 2-3 degrees over outside air at 65mph and about 10 over at 25mph. We have tested this for years and an increase in flow ALWAYS makes more power than a more restrictive system that attempts to pull all the air twice as far away because it's cooler. Our kit picked up 20WHP in a room on a dyno sitting on one place with a fan on the front of the car. I assure you it makes more with the car actually moving down the street.
I completely understand how the control system works, but what are the gains without the tune? If you're basically tricking the PCM into thinking it's getting a similar to stock airflow, it won't adjust the A/F to compensate, so won't you be running lean? Perhaps I'm not understanding afterall.

BTW, I really appreciate you being so technical and showing that you've engineered this product!

OP
OP

PMAS

Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PMAS-MAF.com
Vehicle(s)
multiple
I completely understand how the control system works, but what are the gains without the tune? If you're basically tricking the PCM into thinking it's getting a similar to stock airflow, it won't adjust the A/F to compensate, so won't you be running lean? Perhaps I'm not understanding afterall.

BTW, I really appreciate you being so technical and showing that you've engineered this product!
You aren't tricking the PCM. You are getting similar airflow to stock. You are correcting the maf sensor so it AGAIN has the correct frequency output for that same airflow input.. here is an example of a maf table:
Stock:
HZ actual FLOW
1 10
2 60
3 200
4 1000

The same maf sensor installed into a tube with twice the area as stock
HZ actual FLOW
.6 10
1.7 60
2.4 200
3.3 1000

PMAS maf installed in PMAS tube with corrected maf sensor
HZ actual FLOW
1 10
2 60
3 200
4 1000

There is room in this factory maf table for a lot more power than the stock car makes. This is why the intake can be installed and the stock computer will know what to do with the extra air. Nothing needs to be "tuned" for the extra air the intake will flow. The data is already in the computer.

Cars need to be tuned with some intakes because you need to enter the skewed data (shown in my second table) Because with an uncorrected maf, you will have a new lower HZ reading coming out of a maf at the same airflow it would have stock. You put your stock maf in a tube twice the size, it will take twice the mass of air passing across the maf to get the original reading.

The gains have zero to do with air fuel mixture or engine tuning. They are simply from less pressure drop in the intake. (aka restriction) If you double the pressure into an engine, you double the power..ish lol. Remember we don't live at 0PSI we live at 14.5PSIA. If your intake has 28" pressure drop (-1psi) at 400HP your engine will only actually see 13.5PSIA. if you install a free flowing intake that has 0" pressure drop, your engine will now see 14.5PSIA. Now it's not soo hard to see how you can gain 20HP from adding 1PSI of boost. These numbers aren't actual but they are so you get the idea.

I actually did the math from pressure drop at the outlet of the stock TB and our intake vs the stock intake for a sanity check. It worked out to an intake manifold pressure difference of 1.047. Guess what 430FWHP * 1.047 is? 450HP. A gain of 20 :) The math never lies, and flow data never lies. It's always worked this way. It is this reason that FORD knows almost exactly how much power an engine will make before they even build it.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You aren't tricking the PCM. You are getting similar airflow to stock. You are correcting the maf sensor so it AGAIN has the correct frequency output for that same airflow input.. here is an example of a maf table:
Stock:
HZ actual FLOW
1 10
2 60
3 200
4 1000

The same maf sensor installed into a tube with twice the area as stock
HZ actual FLOW
.6 10
1.7 60
2.4 200
3.3 1000

PMAS maf installed in PMAS tube with corrected maf sensor
HZ actual FLOW
1 10
2 60
3 200
4 1000

There is room in this factory maf table for a lot more power than the stock car makes. This is why the intake can be installed and the stock computer will know what to do with the extra air. Nothing needs to be "tuned" for the extra air the intake will flow. The data is already in the computer.

Cars need to be tuned with some intakes because you need to enter the skewed data (shown in my second table) Because with an uncorrected maf, you will have a new lower HZ reading coming out of a maf at the same airflow it would have stock. You put your stock maf in a tube twice the size, it will take twice the mass of air passing across the maf to get the original reading.

The gains have zero to do with air fuel mixture or engine tuning. They are simply from less pressure drop in the intake. (aka restriction) If you double the pressure into an engine, you double the power..ish lol. Remember we don't live at 0PSI we live at 14.5PSIA. If your intake has 28" pressure drop (-1psi) at 400HP your engine will only actually see 13.5PSIA. if you install a free flowing intake that has 0" pressure drop, your engine will now see 14.5PSIA. Now it's not soo hard to see how you can gain 20HP from adding 1PSI of boost. These numbers aren't actual but they are so you get the idea.

I actually did the math from pressure drop at the outlet of the stock TB and our intake vs the stock intake for a sanity check. It worked out to an intake manifold pressure difference of 1.047. Guess what 430FWHP * 1.047 is? 450HP. A gain of 20 :) The math never lies, and flow data never lies. It's always worked this way. It is this reason that FORD knows almost exactly how much power an engine will make before they even build it.
Got it. Makes sense! Thank you.
Sponsored