Sponsored

New car to me, looking to get back into detailing.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed
So I have done some amateur detailing over the years... I have clayed/some buffing, etc.. in the past. My last few cars were nothing great, so I laxed a little bit. I mainly did some minor paint correction(I have a proter cable, and done a few different cuts of polish). I understand the majority of the importance of prep before a product.

I recently bought a 2016 Mustang Ingot Silver, car will be kept outdoors mostly so I am focused on protection an appearance. I am not quite sure I want to go the ceramic coating route.

Back in the ole mid 2000s, I used Zaino... from www.zainobros.com There products took alot of prep but came out well and held up well, I used to go to weekly car meets, by hosing the car down, not touch it, then drive there and water would bead off crazy, and look amazing. I would wash every 1-2 weeks, and re-apply zaino like every 2-3 months and it looked great for an always outside card. For the interior the thing was 303 aerospace protectant, worked great, no supergloss shine, just looked clean.

So now that it is some 15 years later, I am curious what the new products out there are. I have looked a little bit into ceramic coating but not sold on it yet... Just curious what synthetic, long lasting and protectng products are out there? Anything that works a little bit better for silver? Also what do you guys reccoment for black leather interior.

Things I am looking for...
-foaming guns? Any decent ones that are not too crazy? I do have an air compressor. I have always wanted one.
-Synthetic products that are long lasting and protect well and work well on an outdoor car. Looks good on silver
-interior product for black dash, black leather interior.
-best product for black plastic trim on the outside.

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored

Yareen1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yareen
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
So I have done some amateur detailing over the years... I have clayed/some buffing, etc.. in the past. My last few cars were nothing great, so I laxed a little bit. I mainly did some minor paint correction(I have a proter cable, and done a few different cuts of polish). I understand the majority of the importance of prep before a product.

I recently bought a 2016 Mustang Ingot Silver, car will be kept outdoors mostly so I am focused on protection an appearance. I am not quite sure I want to go the ceramic coating route.

Back in the ole mid 2000s, I used Zaino... from www.zainobros.com There products took alot of prep but came out well and held up well, I used to go to weekly car meets, by hosing the car down, not touch it, then drive there and water would bead off crazy, and look amazing. I would wash every 1-2 weeks, and re-apply zaino like every 2-3 months and it looked great for an always outside card. For the interior the thing was 303 aerospace protectant, worked great, no supergloss shine, just looked clean.

So now that it is some 15 years later, I am curious what the new products out there are. I have looked a little bit into ceramic coating but not sold on it yet... Just curious what synthetic, long lasting and protectng products are out there? Anything that works a little bit better for silver? Also what do you guys reccoment for black leather interior.

Things I am looking for...
-foaming guns? Any decent ones that are not too crazy? I do have an air compressor. I have always wanted one.
-Synthetic products that are long lasting and protect well and work well on an outdoor car. Looks good on silver
-interior product for black dash, black leather interior.
-best product for black plastic trim on the outside.

Thanks in advance...
Howdy, I have a few years of detailing my only black cars and testing many products. When it comes to foam cannons, IMO your top selling 20-30 dollar one on amazon is really good, the "pro's" will use 150 dollar ones but as long as your getting nice thick suds it does not matter. A power washer is required, but you can pick up a small electric one for around or less than 100, works really well and is fun!

I also dont want to go the ceramic route, and i found the pest protectant cover for my car is Collinite 915. You can find many testimonials on this product online and on reddit, but collinite has some amazing waxes, used in the professional / industrial enviorment, so you wont see it on youtube as much as chemical guys or adams polishes but it works SO good. I apply it once every 2-3 months, and water just beads and flies off. Collinite 845 is also an amazing product, it is a liquid while 915 is a paste wax.

For interior cleaning, the griots garage cleaner or Chemical guys leather cleaner is great. If you want to deepen and coniditon the leather, the Chemical guys leather conditioner is fantastic aswell. I use it on my recaros regularly.

Black plastic trim I would reccomend Chemical guys silk shine or VRP, depending on the gloss level you want. However many brands have good versions of this.

I hope this helped man! Just my 2 cents

OP
OP
MustangEater82
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed
Howdy, I have a few years of detailing my only black cars and testing many products. When it comes to foam cannons, IMO your top selling 20-30 dollar one on amazon is really good, the "pro's" will use 150 dollar ones but as long as your getting nice thick suds it does not matter. A power washer is required, but you can pick up a small electric one for around or less than 100, works really well and is fun!

I also dont want to go the ceramic route, and i found the pest protectant cover for my car is Collinite 915. You can find many testimonials on this product online and on reddit, but collinite has some amazing waxes, used in the professional / industrial enviorment, so you wont see it on youtube as much as chemical guys or adams polishes but it works SO good. I apply it once every 2-3 months, and water just beads and flies off. Collinite 845 is also an amazing product, it is a liquid while 915 is a paste wax.

For interior cleaning, the griots garage cleaner or Chemical guys leather cleaner is great. If you want to deepen and coniditon the leather, the Chemical guys leather conditioner is fantastic aswell. I use it on my recaros regularly.

Black plastic trim I would reccomend Chemical guys silk shine or VRP, depending on the gloss level you want. However many brands have good versions of this.

I hope this helped man! Just my 2 cents
I appreciate it... any input is good. I am trying to update 15 years on what to use.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Carpro makes good products as well and easy to get on Amazon.

I used their Ceramic 3.0 and it was my first time doing ceramic...easy to do.

Since my car was new my prep was minimal. Basically foam bath, hand wash, rinse, iron-x, rinse, clay, rinse, re-wash, blow dry, eraser, Cquartz 3.0, reload.

For your car you would more than likely want to go for more prep work including tar-x and mild to medium polishing before the caramic and reload.

So your method would most likely be foam bath, hand wash, rinse, iron-x, rinse, tar-x, rinse, clay, re-wash, blow dry, polishing/paint correction, re-wash, blow dry, eraser, Cquartz 3.0 (maybe two coats since it is outside), reload.

Here is a great video on this:

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I don't have a black car, but got into more serious detailing a few years ago. I am now ready to move from a random orbital to a rotary setup. My first vehicle I played on was my silver 99 Ford F150 that I never wash (unless it rains) and drive to work. So I used it as a test subject. Washed, clayed, and then began. Then moved on to my 14 GT which is white. I used Maguires products and pads on the 14. Took me two weeks to complete the job (lseveral hot days where I could only a little in the late evening hours). Was happy with it but taping off everything was a pain. I then tackled the tougher job which was my wife's 14 Ruby red Fusion we bought used and had been run though car washes so it had swirl everywhere. I decided to try Blackfire products on that car and use Lake Country pads. Night and day difference in time, Blackfire dries clear so if a little gets on a trim piece it doesn't turn white.

I am impressed with BF. You can get them through autogeek or autotopia.

Yareen 1 has me curious about the products he has listed. Often times it is the unknown products that turn out to be the best. So I am going to look into Collinite products as well. Thanks for that tip.

PS - Just found Collnite products listed on Autotopia website.

Enjoy.

Sponsored

Yareen1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yareen
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I appreciate it... any input is good. I am trying to update 15 years on what to use.
no problem, luckily now with amazon and youtube there are alot of reviews and others peoples experiences to work off of. there are many good companies out there, so sometimes it comes down to just personal experience / preference.

If you have any questions about which soap to get or other product recommendations let me know!

Yareen1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yareen
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I don't have a black car, but got into more serious detailing a few years ago. I am now ready to move from a random orbital to a rotary setup. My first vehicle I played on was my silver 99 Ford F150 that I never wash (unless it rains) and drive to work. So I used it as a test subject. Washed, clayed, and then began. Then moved on to my 14 GT which is white. I used Maguires products and pads on the 14. Took me two weeks to complete the job (lseveral hot days where I could only a little in the late evening hours). Was happy with it but taping off everything was a pain. I then tackled the tougher job which was my wife's 14 Ruby red Fusion we bought used and had been run though car washes so it had swirl everywhere. I decided to try Blackfire products on that car and use Lake Country pads. Night and day difference in time, Blackfire dries clear so if a little gets on a trim piece it doesn't turn white.

I am impressed with BF. You can get them through autogeek or autotopia.

Yareen 1 has me curious about the products he has listed. Often times it is the unknown products that turn out to be the best. So I am going to look into Collinite products as well. Thanks for that tip.

PS - Just found Collnite products listed on Autotopia website.

Enjoy.

I am a big fan of chemical guys products as ive had good experience with most of their stuff ( they do have sellout gimmicky products tho forsure). But I tried collinite after seeing it on youtube on auto fanatics channel and i bought it. Killer product i would HIGHLY recommend the product and checking out his videos with it for you to get an idea.

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
Another plug for Collinite 845 which is a synthetic + Carnuba wax, long lasting/durable and beads water like crazy. A popular combo among the detailing crowd for even longer wear is to apply a coat of Jescar Powerlock (synthetic paint sealant) and then top it with 845. Wash, clay, machine polish if needed(I use Meg's 205), Powerlock, Collinite 845.

Interior - Nextzatt Cockpit Premium, very versatile(dash, LCD screen, plastic and chrome bits) non greasy/no residue, solid product. I use Optimum Leather Protectant Plus on my seats.

Black trim and tires - Chemical Guys Tire and Trim gel, durable on trim, not so much on tires. I like it because it doesn't attract dust.

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Whipple
I just picked up some colonite 845 myself; can’t wait until this arctic air goes away and I can hammer out a proper prep, ceramic coat and 845 application.
this year I’m going to delve into power polisher (aside from my arm) and probably the CSL ceramic application.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Best of luck, Aaron. My recommendation...Rupes polishers and Rupes yellow pads.

Edit: And for compounds, maybe the best one to start out with is Sonax Perfect Finish.
Sponsored

Last edited: