Sponsored

New car time. What cars are you considering w/replacing your Mustang?

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
i had nothing but problems. And most everyone around here has had nothing but problems. It was even reported that subaru quality has tanked in the last few years. I just can't consider them as an option anymore.
sorry to hear that man, that sucks! I'm not firm on a Subie yet, but its looking like I might go with a WRX next year to replace my DD. I'm also maybe looking at the Civic SI to stay in a stick too...but I'm only in the planning phase not actively really looking yet. I just know Ford won't be making cars here in USA so a likely '21 year model sure isn't gonna be a Ford because I have no need or desire for a truck or an SUV.
Sponsored

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
i had nothing but problems. And most everyone around here has had nothing but problems. It was even reported that subaru quality has tanked in the last few years. I just can't consider them as an option anymore.
Drive a 2020 Outback and report back. The new global chassis is incredible — wait until you see/feel the new Touring level napa interior. Never had issues with our Subarus; 7 years straight now for my wife’s car.

2021 WRX is likely going to be something to behold.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
sorry to hear that man, that sucks! I'm not firm on a Subie yet, but its looking like I might go with a WRX next year to replace my DD. I'm also maybe looking at the Civic SI to stay in a stick too...but I'm only in the planning phase not actively really looking yet. I just know Ford won't be making cars here in USA so a likely '21 year model sure isn't gonna be a Ford because I have no need or desire for a truck or an SUV.
Eight months ago we found ourselves new car shopping on very short notice, and our 'short list' was the same two cars for all the same reasons.

The WRX (not the STi version) comes with the FA-series engine, which among other developments vs the EJ-series appears to feature a more robust lubrication system. In fairness, it was a lubrication failure of an EJ engine in a 2010 Legacy 2.5GT at just over 100,000 miles that put us in the situation in the first place. Would have cost more to fix than the car was worth at that point, never mind the value of still having the MT choice in something with a little pep.

I have heard (but can't confirm) that the FA's ECU tuning got tweaked in order to reduce the likelihood of encountering low speed pre-ignition (LSPI). That, along with some perhaps poorly-thought-out aftermarket tuning efforts, would certainly cast a cloud over the make in general.

Norm

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Most likely this combo

2019 MX-5 and 2020 BMW 330e(maybe Tesla Model 3 LR Dual). Getting quotes on the BMW...

The 330 in the pic has some M performance part which I won't be getting but it would be with M-Sport package and the Sunset orange color
58430216_2396702860342611_6259997756853583872_o.jpg

I would be modding the Mazda to something like
27237539710_3c9090b872_o.jpg

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
I would like to eventually replace my 15 V6 either with a Mustang GT or a Camaro SS, if Chevrolet ever improves the visibility in that thing. If there is a 4-door sedan with 400 horsepower that handles as well as a Camaro or Mustang in the same price range, I'd consider that, too.
How about a charger scat pack wide body?

Sponsored

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in a similar situation. I currently have a 16 mustang premium gt automatic with 37k miles. Its been a pretty good car with no problems. I just want something different as I've had 3 mustangs. It has decent power mid-range and top end, but just wish it had more torque off the line and I'm getting tired of the look of the car, especially the side view and nose. My top pick is a challenger scat pack. I've been looking at them for over a year and just can't decide which trim I like best. The 1320, wide body or standard SP with dynamics and loaded with options. I also wish you could get more interior colors in them. I almost pulled the trigger with the current hp rebate, but found out some upgrades are coming in 20 and with a tan interior option. Just not sure its worth paying more? I'm also thinking about a used very low mileage 18 SRT at the moment for 42k which is over 54k new.

I'm also considering an SS or LT1 (I know not the most practical cars and limited visibility, but I'm single and when I test drove a couple they were not that bad). The LT1 is a pretty good bargain, but you can't get some of the premium options like heated seats, ect. The 19SS are a pretty good deal right now too, but I just can't seem to get over the front end (the 18's look so much better). The 3k rebate for owning a mustang is tempting though. Other cars I've considered is the new supra, but a little too pricey or maybe an STI like the limited edition S209, but again sounds like it may be pricey, only comes in manual and is ugly.

I know it would be smarter to stick with a mustang since I already have a set of winter wheels and tires, but I just can't see getting something that is 90% the same as I have had my past two cars (even though I know the new ones are improved with the 10 speed, hp bump, ect.). I only recently thought about checking out the 2.3 HHP. Yeah, I know its down on power compared to the gt, but sounds like it may feel stronger off the line and may be underrated a bit. Plus a ford performance pack or tune should put it right up there near the gt if I'm not mistaken. I'm just not sure I could deal with the sound of not having a V8. The OP might have the right idea of checking out a used GT350, but they are still a bit pricey and most likely not the best DD and you can only get them with a manual. IDK, I may just stick with my current car for awhile longer. I have the habit of trading in every 2-3 years and usually only break even, but now for the first time in years I actually have several grand of equity thanks to the 0% interest deal I got back in 16 and paying a little extra each month when I can.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm in a similar situation. I currently have a 16 mustang premium gt automatic with 37k miles. Its been a pretty good car with no problems. I just want something different as I've had 3 mustangs. It has decent power mid-range and top end, but just wish it had more torque off the line and I'm getting tired of the look of the car, especially the side view and nose. My top pick is a challenger scat pack. I've been looking at them for over a year and just can't decide which trim I like best. The 1320, wide body or standard SP with dynamics and loaded with options. I also wish you could get more interior colors in them. I almost pulled the trigger with the current hp rebate, but found out some upgrades are coming in 20 and with a tan interior option. Just not sure its worth paying more? I'm also thinking about a used very low mileage 18 SRT at the moment for 42k which is over 54k new.

I'm also considering an SS or LT1 (I know not the most practical cars and limited visibility, but I'm single and when I test drove a couple they were not that bad). The LT1 is a pretty good bargain, but you can't get some of the premium options like heated seats, ect. The 19SS are a pretty good deal right now too, but I just can't seem to get over the front end (the 18's look so much better). The 3k rebate for owning a mustang is tempting though. Other cars I've considered is the new supra, but a little too pricey or maybe an STI like the limited edition S209, but again sounds like it may be pricey, only comes in manual and is ugly.

I know it would be smarter to stick with a mustang since I already have a set of winter wheels and tires, but I just can't see getting something that is 90% the same as I have had my past two cars (even though I know the new ones are improved with the 10 speed, hp bump, ect.). I only recently thought about checking out the 2.3 HHP. Yeah, I know its down on power compared to the gt, but sounds like it may feel stronger off the line and may be underrated a bit. Plus a ford performance pack or tune should put it right up there near the gt if I'm not mistaken. I'm just not sure I could deal with the sound of not having a V8. The OP might have the right idea of checking out a used GT350, but they are still a bit pricey and most likely not the best DD and you can only get them with a manual. IDK, I may just stick with my current car for awhile longer. I have the habit of trading in every 2-3 years and usually only break even, but now for the first time in years I actually have several grand of equity thanks to the 0% interest deal I got back in 16 and paying a little extra each month when I can.
Trust me - when you’re all over in your car crisis, like you seem to be, no good decisions are made.. lol.

You can change the profile of your car to a more appealing look for a hell of a lot less than jumping into a new ride. If you’re lacking low end, you could consider a tune to help remedy that.

The Eco Stang will feel punchy on the low end but think you’ll find yourself tapped out pretty quick with the fun factor coming from a GT.

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trust me - when you’re all over in your car crisis, like you seem to be, no good decisions are made.. lol.

You can change the profile of your car to a more appealing look for a hell of a lot less than jumping into a new ride. If you’re lacking low end, you could consider a tune to help remedy that.

The Eco Stang will feel punchy on the low end but think you’ll find yourself tapped out pretty quick with the fun factor coming from a GT.
I hear what you are saying, but I've been thinking about the challenger for more like a year and a half now and its not a spur of the moment thing. I've always liked the looks, but the recent interior and electronic improvements and my equity have me seriously considering one. I can't see how you can change the front end of the mustang very easily. Like I said, the gt350 looks much better but only comes in manual and I really like my remote start. I also want some of the upgrades like heating steering wheel as I don't have a garage.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I hear what you are saying, but I've been thinking about the challenger for more like a year and a half now and its not a spur of the moment thing. I've always liked the looks, but the recent interior and electronic improvements and my equity have me seriously considering one. I can't see how you can change the front end of the mustang very easily. Like I said, the gt350 looks much better but only comes in manual and I really like my remote start. I also want some of the upgrades like heating steering wheel as I don't have a garage.
Ah, well in that case - sounds like you have a plan. I like the Challengers and they will definitely fix the low end grunt you’re looking for.

Sponsored

texaswrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MAGNETIC
Drive a 2020 Outback and report back. The new global chassis is incredible — wait until you see/feel the new Touring level napa interior. Never had issues with our Subarus; 7 years straight now for my wife’s car.

2021 WRX is likely going to be something to behold.
Maybe it will break the 350 hp barrier by then.

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe it will break the 350 hp barrier by then.
Not likely. From a quick search it looks like the STI will only be 315. It may be better looking though. I don't think the S209 looks too bad. It has 341hp and should be pretty quick from a dig with the awd, but more than likely will be well over 50k.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Not likely. From a quick search it looks like the STI will only be 315. It may be better looking though. I don't think the S209 looks too bad. It has 341hp and should be pretty quick from a dig with the awd, but more than likely will be well over 50k.
S209 will be in the 70k range according to my local Subie dealer...yep, too high.