Sponsored

new car on dealer with 1052 miles.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
That has been proven wrong by many independent tests. And if you take good care of your helmet, it can last you 3 times that without any issues. That was true decades ago.
Oxidation is a thing and sweat and heat don't do the cushioning material any favors. I replace helmets every 2 or at most 3 years because I wear it 240 days / yr. I've seen 10 year old helmets and the insides were so hard they might as well be concrete. Helmets like gloves are consumables - swapping out every year isn't unreasonable, frankly. Plus the designs improve regularly and by year 3 the newer models are worth adopting. If you only buy $700 Arai helmets I can understand the reluctance to toss it after 5, so buy the $250-350 class lids. They work just as well and in some cases do a better job than the schmancy ones.

But back to your regularly scheduled cars...
Sponsored

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
I got 30% off both of my last 2 NEW cars... My 2016 Mustang GT Roush RS3, had 111 miles on it and I bought it in August 2017. Our 2018 Ford Edge Sport had 2600 miles on it, and we bought it in December of 2019. The edge we are the first owners, as per the title. The Mustang I am technically the second owner as the dealer bought the car in April of 2017, so I am still the first owner, except for the dealer.

Paid $49,500 for the RS3, Sticker was $72,0000
Paid $32,000 for the Edge Sport Sticker was $49,500

A Car with 1000 miles off deserves more than a $1000 Discount, I would say at least 10% or 15%... Look up online prices for that exact same car with 1000 miles on it... That is where the price should be.

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
that's a crime. geezus.
The Sport literally has every available option on it, I think except for the cargo area cover. Take an ST or a Sport for a drive, it is a fun grocery getter... We were traveling on a 2 lane highway with a speed limit of 65, there were 3 cars in front of me and they were all bunched up going 55, there was not enough room to get between them either... After a few miles I decided to pass all three of them and by the time I got past the lead car I looked down and I had it going 109mph, and my wife was squealing, the kids were laughing...
Not too shabby for what it is, has the same 2.7L as the full size pickups...

you might be shocked by the number of people who actually race these things... They have tunes and everything you can get for them, just like a Mustang... No way would I have paid $49,500, but I am cheap, I refuse to pay sticker on anything...

M.A.N.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger 2018 F-150 2014 GT500
:cwl::cwl:

I've already done that. 4 times.

I've beat on all 4 of my Coyotes, right from the start. Had a slight 2K tick in my 2016 that went away, and other than that, nothing. Whereas, there are tons of threads here and on other Mustang sites, where people have babied them, and they turned into oil burners.

My 2019 has about 11K miles on it. It's used one quart of oil. One.

On new cars more. Rings and seals still need to be bedded in through heat and pressure cycles. New engines are manufactured to tighter tolerances, so I'd say it's even more important to heat and pressure cycle them.
I guess I've been lucky, 5.0 F-150, Bullitt and GT350 over the last couple of years, babied them all and have never needed to add one drop of oil to any of them.

Sponsored

olerodder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/A10
At the end of June last year I bought my 19 GT/PP1/A10 for $36k, off the dealers lot. The sticker was $42k and it only had 19 miles on it. I took it out with around 500 miles to see what the "Ground Speed" indicator could do on the open road. I did find out that when you got into the 3 figures, the front end got a little light, hence I put a PP2 front spoiler on it...that cured the light front end. The Mustang now has 6,700 miles, has had 2 oil changes along with a fuel transfer module replaced...no engine noises of any kind and the oil separators show very little oil in either can, and doesn't use a drop of oil. I did the FPF X pipe and replaced the 36lb resonator,and the sound with the active exhaust is totally different...and I love it. A day at the strip did yield a best of 11.93@117, which for a bone stock 3850lb Mustang isn't too bad.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I guess I've been lucky, 5.0 F-150, Bullitt and GT350 over the last couple of years, babied them all and have never needed to add one drop of oil to any of them.
One must be aware, one person's definition of "beat on" and "baby" can be very different from anothers.

I don't mean red-lining your car for 30 minutes straight after first start-up. Maybe your "baby" includes revs and heat/pressure cycling.

M.A.N.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger 2018 F-150 2014 GT500
One must be aware, one person's definition of "beat on" and "baby" can be very different from anothers.

I don't mean red-lining your car for 30 minutes straight after first start-up. Maybe your "baby" includes revs and heat/pressure cycling.
Yes you are exactly right. I do some spirited driving. I wouldn't say I beat on them, that sounds like abusing one, I can't afford that. lol

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

I kind of babied mine for the first 1000 miles then started roasting them tires. But I just made sure to always vary the RPM, and I never really went above 6500 and just drove normal for the most part. I did go into the mountains a few times and do some solid engine braking though. So far a fairly minor amount of oil consumption (1.5 quarts so far at 4800mi). Personally I think what you do for "break in" matters little on modern engines anymore, unless you do the exact thing you shouldn't do which is set cruise control to 70mph and drive on the highway for 500+ miles lol. Although even youtubers do that and it seems to be just fine, Cleetus did that with his C8 for example but he also beat on it at 300 miles at the same time.
Sponsored