cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone, this is weird to even type but when I got my car a week or 2 ago (2019 off the lot), I noticed a spider web on one of the wheels but didn't think much of it. Didn't see anything of concern under the hood. Well, car was cleaned up before I took it home and no signs of webs. A few days ago, while test fitting some 17 wheels I have with DRs, I saw more spider webs in the rear wheel wells around jack points. Cleaned up what I could and killed a spider but looked harmless.

Fast forward to today, I was looking around under the hood and saw what looked like fresh webs. Removed the radiator cover and saw a black widow down in a tight area. Started inspecting more and I killed 2 more black widows. I put the car in my garage and popped a Raid fogger that is supposed to kill spiders. 2 more black widow corpses were found afterwards.

Who knows how many more are still in there. So far, no spider activity inside the interior. Going to call the dealer Monday to thank them for the death trap but besides fogging more in the garage with hood up, I am at a loss. If the nests can't be seen, not sure an exterminator is going to have success.

What would you do? Pics below

IMG_20200104_131449.jpg
IMG_20200104_131557.jpg
IMG_20200104_202232.jpg
Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
That is F’ up big time. The worst spider of all outside of recluse.

OP
OP

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Fuck Black Widows. I got bitten by one once, 2/10 would not recommend. Maybe try to get the dealership to pay for a professional tent fog?
Yeah, going to call them Monday to see if they can help. Anxiety is pretty high driving it at the moment. Raid fogger round 2 is in progress.

OP
OP

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That is F’ up big time. The worst spider of all outside of recluse.
Yeah, why'd it have to be an infestation of venomous spiders ..

Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Car should be deemed a total loss, time for a part out. I hate spiders.

Joking aside, I'd be inclined to get under the car with a couple of cans of Raid bug spray and just nuke down the entire underside. That should take care of any unwanted inhabitants.

OP
OP

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Car should be deemed a total loss, time for a part out. I hate spiders.

Joking aside, I'd be inclined to get under the car with a couple of cans of Raid bug spray and just nuke down the entire underside. That should take care of any unwanted inhabitants.
The challenge is I have seen webs/nests in engine bay in tight areas, in the inside of the front bumper, around the exhaust axle backs, wheel wells, and under radiator cover. How many more hiding places are there on this car, plastic covers/panels below, etc? So many....

showbbq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Luckily those are Latrodectus geometricus aka brown widow spiders. Its bite is nothing like a black widow and is generally harmless. It's about as medically significant as any other house spider. Basically you have nothing to worry about. If there are any left, soapy water will probably remove them.

I have kept several widow species, among other eight legged friends. :)

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
With the undertray removed from the front, you can access all behind the front bumper, and around the underside of the engine. Would be an easy task to just spray it down liberally. With regards to the rear of the car, most of the underside is easily accessible without needing under panel removal.

OP
OP

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Luckily those are Latrodectus geometricus aka brown widow spiders. Its bite is nothing like a black widow and is generally harmless. It's about as medically significant as any other house spider. Basically you have nothing to worry about. If there are any left, soapy water will probably remove them.

I have kept several widow species, among other eight legged friends. :)
Thank you for the correction and confirmation! I might actually sleep tonight hah. I have never heard of a brown widow. When I saw black bodies and reddish hour glasses on them, my mind went straight to black widow. I will see what I can do to get soapy water over the main areas that I haven't vacuumed up.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Could be worse. I have seen a dead iguana in an engine compartment. Man, did that stink...trust me. I don't think that smell could ever leave that car.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Definitely brown widows. I used to work in a pet shop and we sold those as food for some reptiles. When I was in the store, I had a brown tarantula that liked to climb on me. It always seemed to end up on top of my head.... it liked the warmth. It got me a couple times. But, I was stung by much worse creatures in that store. This was 40 years ago and there weren't a lot of regulations about what you could sell. There was nothing quite as entertaining as trying to take an electric cat fish out of a tank.
Sponsored