Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
As I understand, the new Corvette is using a 5.5 liter Flat Plane Crank engine in the current C8 Corvette race car. I try to listen for the difference in sound of the FPC engine but can not detect a difference over the other race engines. I wait for someone to say during racing coverage that the new Vette is using a FPC engine but do not hear mention of a FPC engine. Ford was known to have produced a larger displacement engine than other FPC car builders. If the Corvette race car has a FPC engine , it appears to be quite durable. If it is so difficult to work around the vibration issues of a large displacement FPC V8 , what have the Corvette engineers done to make the engine durable in long distance races ?
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
As I understand, the new Corvette is using a 5.5 liter Flat Plane Crank engine in the current C8 Corvette race car. I try to listen for the difference in sound of the FPC engine but can not detect a difference over the other race engines. I wait for someone to say during racing coverage that the new Vette is using a FPC engine but do not hear mention of a FPC engine. Ford was known to have produced a larger displacement engine than other FPC car builders. If the Corvette race car has a FPC engine , it appears to be quite durable. If it is so difficult to work around the vibration issues of a large displacement FPC V8 , what have the Corvette engineers done to make the engine durable in long distance races ?
At a guess, lightweight forged pistons and a substantially oversquare bore to stroke arrangement. The Voodoo is essentially a 'square' design at 94 mm bore x 93 mm stroke.

Norm

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
My guess would be larger bore spacing, thus larger bores, thus allowing a shorter stroke.
The length of the stroke is the problem with a FPC.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
A Cobra Jet Mustang is the special edition that makes sense to me. In other words, a low volume application that is not street legal. I can't imagine Ford spending money to certify this powerplant for a limited edition car like the Mach 1, Bullitt, or Boss, especially with the Shelby GT500 using what it does. I could be wrong, of course.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Hmmm.... Return of the Boss 429 maybe?

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
So my opinion is the 6.8L is the F150 variant. You could use the exact same block (alloy) with a special crank to achieve 7.0L or 429ci. While I would love for a rumor like this to be true, I doubt it is.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
A Cobra Jet Mustang is the special edition that makes sense to me. In other words, a low volume application that is not street legal. I can't imagine Ford spending money to certify this powerplant for a limited edition car like the Mach 1, Bullitt, or Boss, especially with the Shelby GT500 using what it does. I could be wrong, of course.
I must ask this.

Why not a Demon competitor.......?

Why can't it be street legal?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
OMG click your heels together 3 times and say "I wanna believe, I wanna believe". No way. No how. Not ever. Will Ford be dropping a 6.8L into a mustang.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I must ask this.

Why not a Demon competitor.......?

Why can't it be street legal?
It would be super cool if it happened for sure! Knowing that Ford has made a large financial commitment to EVs, I think they would not want to make that investment. I speculate that the emissions certification, suspension/handling development, and crash testing alone would give pause. That's not to say it couldn't be done, but Dodge owns that market niche for a street legal, very focused drag car.

It would be a hoot to see it. In the meantime, it keeps things interesting to guess :)

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
OMG click your heels together 3 times and say "I wanna believe, I wanna believe". No way. No how. Not ever. Will Ford be dropping a 6.8L into a mustang.
Why not?

Even if it isn't alloy it won't be heavier than the Predator; certainly not as top-heavy. Size-wise it's the same a 351 Windsor, only longer for larger bore spacing. It's getting made specifically for F150 and Mustang on a new line so I'm betting they're not going to go to such lengths to make it cast iron when there's already a plant that spits them out in that material. What this basically means is it's a lot lighter than a blown Coyote and all the associated bits that come with it, and a whole lot cheaper to make whilst offering LT4 levels of power. It's a no-brainer.

So my opinion is the 6.8L is the F150 variant. You could use the exact same block (alloy) with a special crank to achieve 7.0L or 429ci. While I would love for a rumor like this to be true, I doubt it is.

Yes! 7.0/429 has a nicer ring to it.

. Where's @Topnotch? He called this 3 years ago.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
It's a no-brainer.
No brainer hey. No way. No how. Not ever. Will Ford be dropping a 6.8L into a mustang. Screen shot this for when the s650 comes out and the standard engine will be a 2.7l ecoboost.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Why not?

Even if it isn't alloy it won't be heavier than the Predator; certainly not as top-heavy. Size-wise it's the same a 351 Windsor, only longer for larger bore spacing. It's getting made specifically for F150 and Mustang on a new line so I'm betting they're not going to go to such lengths to make it cast iron when there's already a plant that spits them out in that material. What this basically means is it's a lot lighter than a blown Coyote and all the associated bits that come with it, and a whole lot cheaper to make whilst offering LT4 levels of power. It's a no-brainer.

Yes! 7.0/429 has a nicer ring to it.

. Where's @Topnotch? He called this 3 years ago.
The part in bold is where the logic falls apart.
  1. It is NOT being developed for F150. It is being developed for F250
  2. Yes there is a plant that already spits out alloy block engines for F150 and Mustang. It’s not this one, though. It’s across town. (5.0L is built at Essex. 7.3L and 6.8L are built at Windsor)
  3. The line that it’s going on is fairly new, because it’s the same line that the recently introduced 7.3L OHV V8 (cast iron) is produced.
Basically, the 6.8L is a smaller displacement version of the 7.3L. It is produced in the same plant, on the same production equipment, using the same material. The F250/350 used to have 6.2L V8 base, 6.8L V10 uplevel. Last year Ford killed the 6.8L V10 and replaced it with the 7.3L V8. This year, Ford is killing the 6.2L V8, which is why Romeo plant is closing, and putting the replacement for it, the 6.8L V8, on the same line as the 7.3L V8.
Sponsored