Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
owning one of those 400+ HP cars (550i), I understand your frustrations, but the things is, performance is not just how fast can you go, or how quick you can go from 0 to some particular speed.

To me, and this is just my opinion, performance is a combination of handling, braking, acceleration, and more and more, the ability to do so without giving you a bone jarring ride, not just top speed.

To me, being able to effortlessly lope down a straight highway at 70-75 mph is an example of performance (depending on where you are and the legal limit that state has). I've had too many cars where it felt like I needed to push the engine to get it to those speeds. 3000 RPM is great to pass by as you accelerate, but you should not need to hold it there to maintain speed unless you are on a road course or piloting a boat, and the car should not be shaking so much from driving at that speed that it feels like it's about to fall apart.

Being able to take sweeping or tight curves effortlessly is an example of performance. Yeah, there is something special about feeling like you are on the ragged edge, but if you want that, get an MX-5 or something similar where it feels like you are about to lose it taking a curve at the caution limit (or a truck where you might feel like you are going to tip over).

Being able to haul down by car from highway speeds to either a dead stop or at least a crawl is performance. You just have to drive around Chicago to see how traffic can go from 80 to 10 in no time flat. In fact, the first things I look at in a car is not how the HP/Torque feels under acceleration, but how good it slows down.

Finally, the ability to eat up the miles, while putting a smile on your face. When my wife and I go on vacation and it's not across an ocean, we prefer to do it as a road trip. Especially these days. Performance is the ability to drive for 14 hours and feel energized and enthused, with a great big smile on your face when you reach your destination, not drained, bruised, and worn out. I don't need to feel like I am fighting my car every step of the way unless I am pushing it to the ragged edge. Highway speeds should not be the ragged edge, even in the mountains. In our F350, we have to swap out every 6 hours or so. In my 5, I can easily drive the entire day and get out and feel ready to take on the world because it was a great drive.

So yeah, maybe I prefer cruiser cars (thunderbird, GS400, 550i) to a sports car, but I think there is something to be said about a big motor, a great handling car and comfortable car with plenty of power, and great braking capabilities.
The 6.8 will most likely be of alloy construction.
GM's LT series performs quite well at every metric you mentioned.

Besides, Ford has done enough track cars.
The Mach1 was stale news right out of the gate.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
You cannot be all things to all people. Just look at Chevy. Dodge hasn't, it's cars are developed only for the strip. Ford on the other hand leans more to the track side but with the A10 make a great car for the strip. It is just not realistic to think you are going to see a strip focused Mustang for the street. The next specialty car would be the Boss 302 and that will definitely not be a strip car.

As far as the Mach 1 I think most of us feel there is nothing stale about it. But to each his own.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The 6.8 will most likely be of alloy construction.
GM's LT series performs quite well at every metric you mentioned.
It would have to be alloy, at least in NA trim, to go up against the NA LT.

If that's the case, Ford has done way more than enough cars that only had straight line cred, starting at least as far back as the mid-1960's Fairlane Thunderbolt way and continuing through the FE-engined Mustangs of the later 1960's. Mustangs as corner-carvers never got more than lip service until 2005 (what, two years worth of the original Boss 302? that lots of people took to the drag strips anyway?).

Whining about the Mustang having only 15 years or so of road course worthiness off the production line, against 40 years worth of basically unopposed straight line focus, sheesh. What's your grudge against cars that are good at turning more corners than just the really slow one onto the return road, anyway?

I'm afraid Dodge has the drag strip image locked up for the foreseeable future. Just having the 'Hemi' name to fall back on means you're not going to take that away from them at the average buyer's street driving level with similar displacement and comparable power. 6.8 isn't likely to be enough bigger, never mind that it has no widely recognized name out of history to fall back on . . . I mean, yeah, 410 comes close to 6.8L, but how many people today does that number ring a Blue Oval displacement bell with and not sound like a gear ratio number instead?

Norm

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
You cannot be all things to all people. Just look at Chevy. Dodge hasn't, it's cars are developed only for the strip. Ford on the other hand leans more to the track side but with the A10 make a great car for the strip. It is just not realistic to think you are going to see a strip focused Mustang for the street. The next specialty car would be the Boss 302 and that will definitely not be a strip car.

As far as the Mach 1 I think most of us feel there is nothing stale about it. But to each his own.
It would be great if Ford did ONE street legal Drag focused option. I'd buy it.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
Consider this: the Viper was supposed to be a V8. The V10 was easier to meet emissions on. V10 Mustang?
Only if it's a Coyote V10!

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
302.1 cu in = 4951 cc. Pro tip for rounding: If the number you are rounding is followed by 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9, round the number up. If the number you are rounding is followed by 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4, round the number down.
With those tactics, let's round up the bore and stroke, and we end up with a 402 Coyote :D. But none of that crap makes it right :).

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
With those tactics, let's round up the bore and stroke, and we end up with a 402 Coyote :D. But none of that crap makes it right :).
19225743_450320318659875_2693180813749319743_n.jpg

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)