Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I think it's way too unclear for what cars exactly this engine is made. It would make sense to put this in a GT500 or Raptor as a supercharged version. Or go for a hybrid-V8 with this. I have my doubts that this engine is a replacement for the Coyote, especially since they want to sell the Mustang7 internationally.

Or they are just using this engine for a "duty" Mustang like a SUV or Pickup derivat that is NA only

My thoughts exactly. Pretty sure if.......IF this is going in S650 it'd be a specialty model. I'd still bet on the Coyote (Gen 4) being the main V8 option.

Or, yes, a new member of the Mustang "family" of vehicles might get it.
Sponsored

Reactions: Ebm

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
No way would they produce this engine in large numbers. Keep dreaming if you think a 6.8L will find its way in a regular Mustang (GT) or F-150. This is a purpose built specialty engine for only specialty trim levels. Think Shelby Mustangs and Shelby/Raptor F-150s.

Ford wouldn't bring anything in to compete with its Ecoboost line of motors, especially a gas guzzling 6.8L. The V8 is very much still on its way out, but it is on its way out for our regular, run-of-the-mill cars, not specialty cars. Remember... CAFE is still a thing. Also remember they couldn't sell a 6.8L Mustang in Europe...

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I doubt you will get a high redline out of a pushrod engine. I love the gen 3 rev at 7500. Music to my ears.

I feel that if they do get all that hp out of a 6.8, it might also be done to make room for a more powerful Ecoboost 4. I could see with all the competition coming in the near future in the 4 cylinder segment that they will need a more powerful 4 to compete. Making a much more powerful V8 leaves more room to expand the I4 too.

Even with more power, I will miss the Coyote. Glad I have my '19 PP2 even more. Not even sure I need more power than I have. Would much more prefer a much lighter car that is 3" narrower. If they do that (which we already can surmise they won't based on the next shared platform), I would contemplate buying one. Otherwise, I will enjoy my PP2

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The Mustang Explorer. A 4-door version just like the Panamera. The 6.8 will come in the Lariat trim. :)

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
This is interesting, but I do love my Coyote. 730 hp from a little 5.0.
The bigger Engine would kinda go against what Ford has been pushing, a smaller, more efficient Engine in their Engine line up.
That big of an Engine would make since in the F150, but the Mustang?
Any additionally weight in the front end would be looked at as a bad thing. Yes, if only 100 lb's, but still weight in the front.
And yes, adding the Super charger to the Coyote adds about the same weight, but look at the power increase!!.
Depending on what happens Government wise, there may not be much, or any Fossil Fuel motor development for the future anyway.
Glad I have my Coyote now and will be keeping it as long as possible.

Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
The 3rd gen Coyote is the pinnacle of the mod motor architecture, its true that there's nowhere else for them to take it. A divergence of the 7.3 would be cheaper and easier, yes. All the boxes for WHY are checked, but I can't fathom HOW they can justify it. Even with tricks like cylinder deactivation, it's still going to be almost impossible to get close to the same gas mileage that the coyote does with all its trick cam profiles and efficiency. Sure, that won't matter for the owners, but it sure matters to a large company like Ford that would be running this as a volume, bread and butter engine in the F150 and the Mustang GT. Unless they're just wagering that their electric models will offset the CAFE average murder.
Check out the gas mileage the camaro gets.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Pushrod engines can rev quite high. It's largely a matter of how long is the stroke. Short stroke engines of any type can rev quite high. There were E and F gassers in the 60s running de-stroked Chevy small blocks revving over 9000 rpms. I think emission controls forced most manufacturers to switch to smaller bore, longer stroke engines in the 70s.

Lots of interesting theories in this thread. I'm going to guess not much changes with regard to engine configuration for the Mustangs available to the general public. Ford has been content to go with the Coyote design for a many years. I can't see them changing now.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Just based on future emissions and fuel economy standards, it seems extremely unlikely this will go in a regular Mustang GT. I am betting on it being an engine option for some crossover "Mustang" and possibly something like the GT500.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I agree that If there is going to be a new engine for the "classic" Mustang it will be limited to a specialty model. Forget the GT500, that will be gone by the time the S650 comes out. But how about the Boss? Or a GTA? Wouldn't that be sweet.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
I agree that If there is going to be a new engine for the "classic" Mustang it will be limited to a specialty model. Forget the GT500, that will be gone by the time the S650 comes out. But how about the Boss? Or a GTA? Wouldn't that be sweet.
Hoping for a Cobra Jet

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm hoping that they chop it down and do some serious weight reduction. The S650 needs to be at most 3,700 lbs compared to the S550's 4,000ish top end.
You should know deep down that's simply not going to happen :). Larger, and lighter? Yeah, right! Especially since Ford has money to spare for that, right? :devil: Maybe Shelbys, but not Mustangs.

Ford races Mustangs in NASCAR to show they care about high performance cars.
Do you really believe that? So you also think Toyota is racing Camrys in NASCAR? Didn't think so. Ha ha. Ford, Toyota, and everybody else just slap Mustang/Camry/etc. shaped bodies onto their NASCAR race cars; that's all :).

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
What are you talking about? There's no way on Earth the Mustang is getting larger.
The S650 is going to be on the Explorer's architecture sooo it will most definitely be larger. I'm hoping that they chop it down and do some serious weight reduction. The S650 needs to be at most 3,700 lbs compared to the S550's 4,000ish top end.
S650 is going to be on the same D2C platform as the S550, so it’ll likely weigh close to the same as S550, maybe (hopefully) a bit lighter if they move to Aluminum. But S750 is going to be built on a CD6 based platform (yes, same as Explorer) and thus is expected to grow larger (and IIRC, a Ford insider confirmed that S750 will be challenger-sized, or maybe even bigger)

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Pushrod engines can rev quite high. It's largely a matter of how long is the stroke. Short stroke engines of any type can rev quite high. There were E and F gassers in the 60s running de-stroked Chevy small blocks revving over 9000 rpms. I think emission controls forced most manufacturers to switch to smaller bore, longer stroke engines in the 70s.
True story.

Back in the early '90s several friends and I were big into drag racing. One buddy had (still has the car) a '68 fastback with a roller cam, single-carb, tunnel-ram 289 that he shifted at 9,000 (4-speed). It was nothing terribly exotic either, just a strategic combination of good parts. The key is the short stroke, which is 2.87" on a 289.

Also true is the last bit about emissions. That 289 had a 4" bore (as did the 302 of the day), much larger than the Coyote 5.0 bore.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I doubt you will get a high redline out of a pushrod engine. I love the gen 3 rev at 7500. Music to my ears.
My 1970s era 429 that lived a previous life at 7600rpm disagrees with you.

A pushrod engine is harder to get happy at higher RPM (valve train float and other associated issues) but it's far from impossible. Modern SBFs (strokers) are over 7k RPM regularly.

IMO, the mod motor architecture painted Ford into a corner with the compromises it had in order to be more compact (why you rarely see mod motors over 6L). It makes sense to go another direction with newer tech available (hybrid transmissions, cylinder deactivation, vvt, etc) that would be more cost effective. A larger pushrod engine with these technologies would be that path. Much more simplistic and easy to manufacture.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
My 1970s era 429 that lived a previous life at 7600rpm disagrees with you.

A pushrod engine is harder to get happy at higher RPM (valve train float and other associated issues) but it's far from impossible. Modern SBFs (strokers) are over 7k RPM regularly.

IMO, the mod motor architecture painted Ford into a corner with the compromises it had in order to be more compact (why you rarely see mod motors over 6L). It makes sense to go another direction with newer tech available (hybrid transmissions, cylinder deactivation, vvt, etc) that would be more cost effective. A larger pushrod engine with these technologies would be that path. Much more simplistic and easy to manufacture.
I’ve got 460 stroked to 513 that can turn over 7k. Don’t know how high, and I keep it limited to 5500 because it’s turning 39” swampers so I don’t need to risk the rpms, but she can.
Sponsored