Sponsored

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Does this mean we can disregard all the rumors about how the V8 is a dying breed? :wink:
Sponsored

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Just put it in the F150 and take my money!

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure the Beach Boys' song is about the 409. So 6.7l is the correct number. :wink:
6.8l is probably rounding up. Just because the plant workforce has been promised a 6.8'ish motor to build has zero bearing on what platform will use it. The F150 is what decides the fate of the Mustang. If it's not on the F150/F250, it'll never come to the Mustang - F-series pays the R&D budget.

Plus the powerstroke diesel is a 6.7l V8 - stands to reason that engine production could expand to Windsor as NAFTA v2 whacks Mexico which builds the Scorpion diesel in favor of Canada across the river.

You guys are reading WAY too hard into tea leaves.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting, for sure.

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I have heard the 6.2 and the 7.3 have the same crankshaft dimensions, though I can't confirm. If true, a 7.3 crank in a 6.2 would give right at a 6.6-6.7L. Aluminum block with spray bores and 6.8L seems possible. I wouldn't even mind a 7.3 pushrod with a smaller bore, but if, and only if, Ford gets rid of the ridiculous splits in the deck between the cylinders. Whos idea was that?

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Well you also have to remember that displacement doesn't correlate with weight, technically. You could have a really small 7 liter engine assuming it sucks in a lot of air, which is what displacement is. So assuming this is a smaller engine but is possibly bored and stroked out, it could be pretty light.
A'LA LS7

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
As disappointing as this is, I can totally see the viability of it... definitely not for 2022, but probably for S750. Since Ford is aiming for more of a Challenger-sized vehicle in S750, it’s going to need an engine that can make up for that weight gain. In a car like that, an engine that revs high and makes all its power up top (like the coyote) with relatively low torque will feel like an absolute dog. They’ll need something with more low end grunt, which is where a large displacement pushrod engine will be beneficial

But lord almighty, I hate where the Mustang is going. Welcome back to 1970, when Carroll Shelby saw the more luxury-boat direction that the Mustang was going in and decided to split ties with Ford, after which they had about 20 years of the ugliest and worst performing Mustangs in history
What are you talking about? There's no way on Earth the Mustang is getting larger.

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
What are you talking about? There's no way on Earth the Mustang is getting larger.
The S650 is going to be on the Explorer's architecture sooo it will most definitely be larger. I'm hoping that they chop it down and do some serious weight reduction. The S650 needs to be at most 3,700 lbs compared to the S550's 4,000ish top end.

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
We cant forget that the Mustang is Fords performance statement. Ford races Mustangs in NASCAR to show they care about high performance cars. Ford has shown leadership in off road performance with its trucks and soon to come Bronco.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Money. A pushrod engine is cheaper to produce. Half the cams, half the valves, half the chains,and of course all the machine work that goes into those extra parts. If they are using the 7.3 casting the development cost is already sunk.

The coyote as much as I love it is about tapped out. Getting from 412 to 480 was cheap. To go from 480 to 548 would cost many times more.

Ford is changing/changed CEOs. They haven’t been making money like they should have been and I expect big changes on the horizon. Dodge has been killing it with their very old design cars with big engines and lots of torque. I expect ford has taken notice.
The 3rd gen Coyote is the pinnacle of the mod motor architecture, its true that there's nowhere else for them to take it. A divergence of the 7.3 would be cheaper and easier, yes. All the boxes for WHY are checked, but I can't fathom HOW they can justify it. Even with tricks like cylinder deactivation, it's still going to be almost impossible to get close to the same gas mileage that the coyote does with all its trick cam profiles and efficiency. Sure, that won't matter for the owners, but it sure matters to a large company like Ford that would be running this as a volume, bread and butter engine in the F150 and the Mustang GT. Unless they're just wagering that their electric models will offset the CAFE average murder.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Oh, I agree.......it could be a Mustang badged **** (insert whatever vehicle you like).

Having said that, the only vehicles Ford currently produce with a V8 are the Mustang (the proper one) and the F-Series. Would they really stick a Mustang badge on an F-Series truck? (don't answer that one!!).

So, what other vehicle could it go in other than those two?

All that being said, this still seems odd to me. It goes against the current trends of downsizing and electrification. Don't get me wrong, if the engine is light enough and powerful enough, I have no problem with it being put in an S650, Long live ICE V8s!!!!

But I'm skeptical.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I think it's way too unclear for what cars exactly this engine is made. It would make sense to put this in a GT500 or Raptor as a supercharged version. Or go for a hybrid-V8 with this. I have my doubts that this engine is a replacement for the Coyote, especially since they want to sell the Mustang7 internationally.

Or they are just using this engine for a "duty" Mustang like a SUV or Pickup derivat that is NA only
Sponsored