dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Unifor/Ford agreement from 2016 also has the 6.8L mentioned for the Windsor Engine Plant (WEP), but it was a V10 variety according to the Ford website (Here)
Q. What Ford vehicles and engines are produced in Canada?
A. Oakville Assembly Complex (OAC) builds the Ford Edge, Ford Flex, Lincoln MKX and Lincoln MKT.

At the Ford Windsor Site there are two plants, the Essex Engine Plant (EEP) and the Windsor Engine Plant (WEP). The 5.0-litre V8 engine, produced at EEP, is found in the Ford Mustang and Ford F-150. The 6.8-litre V10 engine, produced at WEP, is found in the Ford F-Series and Ford E-Series.
Maybe he got confused on which engine goes where, since the 6.8L V10 (Triton) is for the F-Series too.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
Why don’t we put this on the back burner until 2035. No sense wondering/worrying about something that may not happen for another 15 years.
hahhahha, just venting stupidity

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I would be very surprised if the new generation Mustang will be heavier than the current Mustang. The engineers at Ford know that lighter cars can get better fuel mileage than heavy vehicles. I bet the Ford engineers are trying to avoid making a Mustang as heavy as the current Mustang.

Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I would be very surprised if the new generation Mustang will be heavier than the current Mustang. The engineers at Ford know that lighter cars can get better fuel mileage than heavy vehicles. I bet the Ford engineers are trying to avoid making a Mustang as heavy as the current Mustang.
I think latest rumors were that the next Mustang will use the CD6 platform (shared witht Aviator & Explorer) which would most likely end in a heavier car than we have now

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I've given up hope on lighter. Pity we don't have what the French gov't proposed just recently - tax vehicles by their weight. That'll send tax bills on EV and trucks thru the roof.

The audi A4 weighs the same as the EB Mustang and costs 2x as much. So even Audi who has LONG been doing aluminum and composite structures for their R8 (3200lbs) can't make a financial reason to bring even some of it to their A3/4 lineup. So far only a couple bits of aluminum have made it to the A7/6 trim level.

Last edited:

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I watched the video. Amazing.

Being older, I remember Ford's heyday. The 427 WAS the engine. It won many Nascar races and was legendary to us older guys. Without getting into details, the 428 CJ was a cheap, stroked version of the FE (427 architecture). That's the memory I had and acutally owned one.

I was never hot on the Mustang but I was on Ford products and have owned 8 Mustangs. The problem is that the Mustang is not really a year round daily kind of car.

I also owned full sized 60's cars with HP engines from Ford. The mid sized Fairlane or Torino was my vehicle of choice because it was actually large enough to be an "all around" vehicle. Mopar sold almost 10 times as many Roadrunners in 1968 than they anticipated. Cheap, fast, larger cars.

I think there is a demand for the 4 door sporty HP, big block engine from Ford. Much like the Charger SRT 8.

They could use the Mustang platform and make a few tweaks (albeit it somewhat costly), call it something else or an older name and I believe it would sell.

Since the demise of the Taurus SHO (which was unappreciated and very fast) Ford has nothing really in that slot.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
I watched the video. Amazing.

Being older, I remember Ford's heyday. The 427 WAS the engine. It won many Nascar races and was legendary to us older guys. Without getting into details, the 428 CJ was a cheap, stroked version of the FE (427 architecture). That's the memory I had and acutally owned one.

I was never hot on the Mustang but I was on Ford products and have owned 8 Mustangs. The problem is that the Mustang is not really a year round daily kind of car.

I also owned full sized 60's cars with HP engines from Ford. The mid sized Fairlane or Torino was my vehicle of choice because it was actually large enough to be an "all around" vehicle. Mopar sold almost 10 times as many Roadrunners in 1968 than they anticipated. Cheap, fast, larger cars.

I think there is a demand for the 4 door sporty HP, big block engine from Ford. Much like the Charger SRT 8.

They could use the Mustang platform and make a few tweaks (albeit it somewhat costly), call it something else or an older name and I believe it would sell.

Since the demise of the Taurus SHO (which was unappreciated and very fast) Ford has nothing really in that slot.
Remember the 427 SOHC? ;).

I had a tuned 2013 SHO with 3bar map and second cat delete. The thing I did not like (being a transverse mainly fwd setup) is on the 1-2 shift it felt like the front end was coming off. Lol.

Last edited:

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Being older, I remember Ford's heyday.

You're living in the past. There isn't a market for that anymore. The future is smaller, lighter, and electric.

Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
IF this rumor is true and IF its intended to replace the coyote, I do see a way for it to be possible. Consider if the 6.8L is an Atkinson cycle engine (possibly with cylinder deactivation) mated to an electrified 10 speed. I would not find it hard to believe that this combination would be able to produce combined power exceeding the current Gen 3 Coyote while also being more efficient in terms of emissions and MPG. It is hard to say if this combination would be cost effective without knowing the exact cost difference between the Coyote and 7.3 but I wouldn't imagine it would be to far off from making sense from an engineering standpoint.
HP uses X amount of fuel.....no free lunch.
It also creates X amount of emissions.....no free lunch.
Regardless of displacement.....

The 7.3 is far cheaper to produce.
Cylinder deactivation on the cheap and easy is now possible.

Remaining N/A the Coyote is only good for just over 800 hp
with a full all out build using race fuel.
The 7.3 can do that with ease....

Expect a alloy block for the F-150 and Stang.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Charger and Challenger sales are holding their own......
but will emission laws allow them to continue. I am sure they want the next engine to last a decade, maybe more. Cannot start where others are currently. Need to do better to be able to last.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
You're living in the past. There isn't a market for that anymore. The future is smaller, lighter, and electric.
Tell that to Dodge.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
but will emission laws allow them to continue. I am sure they want the next engine to last a decade, maybe more. Cannot start where others are currently. Need to do better to be able to last.
As the wave of electric cars comes in over this decade, gas powered performance cars should be insignificantly detrimental to emissions.
Sponsored