Sponsored

15ThreePoint7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6 MT 2019 F150 STX Ecoboost 2.7
Just stumbled onto this thread, I think Ford could easily do a 6.8L pushrod motor with an aluminum block and heads. They can easily put it in the Mustang. A 6.8L with a boatload of torque can cruise at 1100
Rpm and 60mph while sipping gas.

If you look at the reasoning behind the 7.3L in the super duties, it's because they have more ability to pull while using less fuel. The late 80s and early 90s Mustangs were quick because they made a lot of torque. Everyone looks at that 225 hp but forget that 300 ft lbs of torque.

As long as the gearing is right, it's possible. It could be something they will put in the stang as a limited production vehicle. There were only a few hundred 2000 Cobra Rs made.
Sponsored

15ThreePoint7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6 MT 2019 F150 STX Ecoboost 2.7
True, but the architecture is already there and the reactions to the 7.3 could have stoked a fire.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The 3rd gen Coyote is the pinnacle of the mod motor architecture, its true that there's nowhere else for them to take it. A divergence of the 7.3 would be cheaper and easier, yes. All the boxes for WHY are checked, but I can't fathom HOW they can justify it. Even with tricks like cylinder deactivation, it's still going to be almost impossible to get close to the same gas mileage that the coyote does with all its trick cam profiles and efficiency. Sure, that won't matter for the owners, but it sure matters to a large company like Ford that would be running this as a volume, bread and butter engine in the F150 and the Mustang GT. Unless they're just wagering that their electric models will offset the CAFE average murder.
This. It's a pipe dream. Maybe for a "special" vehicle (aka low volume) but the fuel economy requirements creep ever higher as time goes on.

The 350 has a "gas guzzler" tax already, imagine adding that cost to every Mustang GT, it'd price Ford right out of the segment.

And not for nothing, the political risk ahead says it's likely that the left controls major portions of the government, if not the triumvirate again (it's doubtful the GOP will ever control the House of Representatives again). That means more EPA, more "green deal" type nonsense and more risk for auto manufacturers in meeting average fuel economy fleet requirements. Ford sells WAY too many mustangs and WAY too many F-150's to step backward in fuel economy.

perhaps they've run some sort of rosy calculus that says for every electric vehicle they sell, they can splurge on a combustion engine vehicle, but it seems awfully dreamy for car enthusiasts and doesn't pass the sniff test for reality.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Cali already banned sale of gas engines by 2035. Unfortunately, there's no turning back the ICE clock, but at least most of us middle-aged guys, won't see that happen. Ha ha. Even after banning sale of ICE vehicles, it'd probable take decades more before they actually stop circulating.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Cali already banned sale of gas engines by 2035. Unfortunately, there's no turning back the ICE clock, but at least most of us middle-aged guys, won't see that happen. Ha ha. Even after banning sale of ICE vehicles, it'd probable take decades more before they actually stop circulating.
To be exact, California’s governor issued an executive order giving California’s regulatory agencies until July 2021 to come up with a plan to achieve a ban of new light duty vehicle ICE effective in 2035. Heavy duty by 2045. There is no ban, only direction to figure out how to enact a ban. There might eventually be a ban, but until a whole lot of legal and legislative stuff happens, nothing is banned yet. And might never be.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
What I really mean is a "bigger" coyote.
Hey, I would like a bigger, but lighter? if thats possible Coyote for sure. I just hope they don't kill the Mustang with an engine like Dodge 6.4 which from every performance shop I talked to when first making my decision as to which car to buy, said they would not take Dodge 6.4L motor over 600HP without major internal upgrades (Piston Upper ring land separating under boost issues). I talked to every shop I could both Mopar and Ford. The main reason I went with the Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1 was one, the interior quality of materials and fit was far above the Challenger and the limitations of the engine under forced induction was the icing on the cake. I have talked with shops who said they have dyno 2018-2019 Mustang GT over 1000hp with a stock engine and transmission. Now they did say if I was to use that HP range I would need to do some small upgrades to the A-10 transmission and same to the engine such as the Oil pump and crank gears suspension and drivetraint. have Fun, and thanks for your help.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
Well that's interesting. If true, RIP to 5.0 values. That much displacement tells me it's likely a pushrod engine which would be an interesting 180 for Ford.
It’s possible it’s for a limited edition Mustang as well.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
To be exact, California’s governor issued an executive order giving California’s regulatory agencies until July 2021 to come up with a plan to achieve a ban of new light duty vehicle ICE effective in 2035.
Damn it Jim, I've got a narrative to push!

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
I could see Ford going to 5.2l and an even 500 hp..... This rumor sounds unlikely.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I could see Ford going to 5.2l and an even 500 hp..... This rumor sounds unlikely.
A 5.2 cpc for the base gt would be cool and maybe even likely, but I think the ultimate combination of oem modular parts would be a 5.8 with coyote-style top end for 560+ hp.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
There should be more info forth coming on the new motor.
Godzilla was a useful tech development platform and Ford has some smart cookies working on what's next.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...able-5-0l-v8-mustang-ever.142163/post-2917642

What is 100% certain is that we are in an era of ultra cheap gas and there is a window to sell monster hp capable drivetrains NOW.

Still preying Ford gives us a budget 2 seater alternative to the Miata for grass roots racing now that Ford/Mazda tie up is over. Would love a 17-22k rwd ecoboost platform to fit below (heavier and $$$) Mustang.

jdsfly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost, A10
Vehicle Showcase
The next mustang engine will be the 3.5 Ecoboost. After that it will be a hybrid 2.3 Ecoboost and electric. They will both outperform the current GT. After that they will go all electric, if it looks like they can maintain the sales volume.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The next mustang engine will be the 3.5 Ecoboost.
Unfortunately, that's exactly what makes more sense in every respect. A detuned GT version with an 500HP would keep most buyers happy. Most of the new generation wouldn't give a rat's a$$ about V8s, or even ICE vehicles. Or heck, even vehicles at all. Ha ha. They're just needed appliances, like a fridge.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
To be fair, it's also possible that this new 6.8L will only come supercharged and would be meant for the new GT500 and Raptor. I can't imagine how it would possibly avoid a gas guzzler tax even naturally aspirated, so it's probably not designed to replace the 5.0.
There was a gas guzzler tax on a 2020 Bullitt I was looking at, one of the reasons I got a 2019 one as that saved me a grand... Those are 5.0L engines by the way, so I'd assume 6.8L has a gas guzzler tax.
Sponsored