Sponsored

fishpick

Threads
Reaction score
Part of NY w/ high taxes to support the other part
Vehicle(s)
0 mustangs owned currently
(This post is the logical "chapter deux" from the "initial impressions" post here...)

After taking delivery back on the 19th of April - and then enduring 2 days of snow and LOTS of salt on the roads... we got FINALLY got rain to clear the roads... and Saturday was the PERFECT day to actually take her out. As luck would have it - our Mustang club had a cruise scheduled - so even better way to take her out on the inaugural tour. I did "protect" the front of the car for the trip - not that I really worry - but I have never done PPF before and the car goes away for a week on May 10... and if I'm spending all this money for PPF and paint correction and ceramic and crap - I might as well keep it as clean as I can... honestly - it's killing me to worry about this - I never do. So I'll be SOOO happy when that's done and I can just drive the car!
trackarmour.jpg

One of the challenges on the first real trip out was not so much the car - but the switching of cars... like - forgot to move the EZPass over... damn near locked ourselves out of the house as the HomeLink in the GT500 doesn't understand our controller and I need to do the button press for new remote on the unit hanging in the garage itself... And other things... which had my wife asking me at one point - "what have you been doing for the last week sitting in the car"... and I honestly don't know, proablly lost in menus (see below)... I think the new car fumes make me high and happy - and that's my story. I DID have my Uniden R7 mounted on a blend mount and Mirror - and that worked great.

So out on the road - finally - with 46.6 miles on the odometer. This car is just smooth. I know I went on about the transmission in my first post - and others have as well - but it really is an utter marvel of engineering. You never feel the thing up-shift - it just pulls for days - and with only 50 miles on the car - I'm talking just 1/4 - 1/3 throttle type things. It's just amazing. Like - I bought THIS car for THIS transmission... so rare is it when you buy something for a single feature (or primary feature) and that HYPED feature not only meets but exceeds your expectations. This thing is all that and a bag of chips (but you can't eat them in the car). Single best feature IMHO - this alone makes this car a must buy. A transmission...

I'm not a "look at me" kind of guy - the Rapid Red color on this car was all my wife... The paint is really amazing under the sun - great color, she picked REAL GUD... but - as a "grey and silver car guy" - I can tell you 100% this car shows dust, pollen and even minor clear coat scratches SOOOOO much easier and more readily than my typical go to colors. And let me be clear - I'm NOT a detail the car every time I can guy - I run them with a little dirt to show they live... but the "darkness and depth" of this color is gonna probally make me a little more attentive to not being a slob. My C7 Z was a head turner - it was Ceramic Matrix Grey with black trim so rock chips in the paint that showed primer matched the paint color so it always looked "clean and perfect" - and people noticed it. I couldn't get gas without someone coming over to ask what it was. People would wave, give thumbs up, etc... it was was a very catchy car that seemed to appeal to all but the Tesla / Prius crowd (maybe they liked it but not enough to stop their embrace with a tree). I assumed this car would fly under the radar a bit more as it's "just a special" Mustang. Maybe it does... but JUST SLIGHTLY. It seems that maybe not EVERYONE looks at this car like it seemed like they did with the C7... BUT - the people who KNOW what this car is - are far more exuberant to wave, thumbs up, smile, make an "O" face, etc. This is not a fly under the radar car at all. Especially if you do the obligatory toggle of the damn exhaust to Track...

Ohh the sounds this car makes. Loved the rumble of the pushrod C7... I have always said the firing order is better on a Coyote and now with 120+ miles on this - there is no damn doubt this car sounds so much better. Our cruse took us through a small local village... of course I have to constantly grab the downshift paddle - and you can hear the damn sound rolling up the street ahead of you and see people tuning their heads... and this is with me in the middle of a pack of other custom exhaust Mustangs. This car my not be the loudest - but there's something in the stock exhaust notes that gets people attention. The downshift makes it too easy. Pull both paddles (you gotta watch the display to see the gear number dissapear) and you get neutral and give it a little rev under a bridge... And - manual up-shifts - if you hit it at like 3200-3400, you get a satisfying "pop" damn near every time. And you can do this in Manual or Auto modes.

So transmission controls when in Auto... Normal drive mode, the tune the transmission runs an algorithm to save gas I think... to me - it behaves a bit like the A10... it just wants to stay at the lowest RMP it can to slurp gas not guzzle. (nothing makes this car sip gas - nothing). Change the mode to "sport" and the transmission program is be best change - IMHO - the shift points move up into the bottom of the powerband - it holds the RPM's longer and is juts MORE FUN. And - really - the execution of the paddle interruption is VERY well done. My C7 was a M7... but I test drive the auto... and that thing sucked hard. Slush box and the paddle interrupt was trash - it also held the "manual" way too long after interrupt IMHO. The time the GT500 holds manual mode on the Auto interrupt is just about perfect. The display showing the paddles as active is a nice touch too. Really - you can drive in auto - and know with 100% confidence that you can command things instantly whenever you want... and for the "NoT foR Me wIthOut a mANual" crowd... to be fair - I might have worn out the dead pedal with my left foot Saturday... coming from a manual - this car "feels" like it needs a manual to me so I stomped on the floor often enough out of habit that my wife asked me if I had to go pee. BUT - just like the notion of a touch screen phone with no buttons "how am i going to call someone" - that's it... nobody worries about that now, technology carried us all forward and this is the same thing. This DCT got me so converted by the final leg of our trip home I was mostly done "pee stomping" the dead pedal and I honestly don't really miss it - the paddles are really just that satisfying when you want to play. Is it "less engaging" than clutching and shifting - I mean, yes, you are doing "less" - but can you do the same things as clutching and shifting "yes" and you are faster for it. I can't begrudge Ford for killing the manual - and when looked at through the lens of this DCT execution - once you drive one - seriously...

For the crappy NY roads - Normal suspension is great for making it a "cruiser" - Sport when you know you have smooth stretch with twists and turns, for sure. Steering can almost never be firm enough IMHO, so I get that in Sport first thing. If you are on a long drive of highway and want to feel all lazy or something, maybe you mush it up more... but the Sport setting could be a bit more firm IMHO - specifically for track - but it's good enough TBH.

When I hit 100 miles - I decided it was OK to move up to 1/2 throttle pulls as the car was all warmed up and the road / tires were warmer than the morning... The only comment here is forward looking - come "broken in" 500 miles... this thing is a GD missile on wheels. Wife's input from the neck snapping power this puts down at only 1/2 throttle... "I'm glad these headrests are so cushy". And it's not just the headrests - the "comfy seats" are just the bomb. Do the Recaro's "look" better - sure - when the car is parked - but yeah... but I bought her to drive (car not wife) and these seats were 100% the right choice... My @$$ isn't looking at the seat - it's enjoying the comfort climate I can provide it. And given how fast this thing can be - it's probably a long term good thing you can keep that portion of your anatomy cooled :)

Then there the brakes. The C7 Z had one of the shortest stopping distances for a production car.. Google puts this car like within a foot or 2... and personally the weight transfer on this one (vs the C7's 50/50 distribution) makes this car feel like it stops SHORTER. Like - yeah - wow - impressed.

Now for some honestly - all is not absolutely perfect. And of course - I'm going to throw the stones at the software engineers... Guys - WTF. The menus are a F*C#IN% mess! There's no logic - it's like pieces of software from 10 different cars - someone clicked "merge" and the yelled "ship it". Gauges - sure ok - pick your gauges - they show... but - on the track - tire pressure is important - WTF - that's under trip menu!? And it's gotta be the whole display. Then there's "Easy Entry/Exit" - bro, Ford, bro - I sold the Vette because I'm not 90 and can get in and out on my own, thank you - I personally don't want the seat moving to let me out and put it so far back I can't reach the brake without sliding down like a naughty lil boy to reach the brake... to then have the seat push me forward... I could NOT find that - after 30 minutes in the garage WITH the manual and Google... a friendly rando dude on Facebook told me where that gem was hidden. The Sync setting are about the same - not everything you think is configuration is under configuration - anywhere. The manual sorta breaks down the menu selections - but it's not complete... I mean - it's a janky mess... I think I figure out where things are and have things set up - like My Mode (Sport steering, track exhaust, sport transmission, normal suspension) and other things - but some day I might want to change something and the menus won't be assisting me... but... but I was smart... I wrote down all the menu settings and how to get them - by hand, on pounded out papyrus, put it in a waxed leather sheath and buried in the desert... where the Ford archeologists who hid all the menu options will know where to find it... (it's a shame I can't make the theme from Indiana Jones play whenever you touch a menu button, it should).

My C7 had this rattle in the interior trim at certain RPM's - you couldn't find it because you couldn't reproduce it unless underway... I appreciate Ford for including that feature as an homage to the Vette. Impressed they were able to reproduce the exact tone, frequency and RPM range on such a different car.

And fuel consumption - not that the C7 was a gas sipper either - but... this thing very clearly, as every one says - needs a frequent flyer card for the nearest station... boo hoo - you want all this in a 760hp package and you are gonna gripe about MPG's and time between fill-ups... OK boomer...

But that's it for the list of gripes so far... really...

Overall - I think the reviews out there are pretty spot on for this car - crazy power, great handling (since I can't really jam on it yet - I did work the curves with some enthusiasm when things warmed up and this thing just stays stuck), clearly the best Mustang yet. People dig it - I dig it - and it's very comfortable.
The Rock Blockers do their job and don't make the car look sloppy - get em.
The 5Spurs expensive dial cover - does look a LOT better than the factory knob... is it worth it - I dunno, but I like it.
before.jpg
after.jpg

Haven't installed the 5Spurs button - wish I didn't order that - the stock one has more back lighting through the words on the button and I like that...
Have a set of Seeda low profile jacking rails on order - when they arrive - I'll get them installed and then put her up on the lift and poke around a little.
I have the Navicks module and the front camera ordered... I'm just not sure, now that it's ordered, that I want to tear the car apart for that... I may RMA it and just back into every spot I find.

Why am I writing these - because it was these types of posts here and in other places that were so helpful when I was looking for real world GT500 reviews beyond the "paid for print" reviews and the "click on my youtube video so I can make ad revenue" links in helping me determine if this was a good choice...
Sponsored

P4mnceblue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Ranger
So there is tire pressure! I could not find it anywhere under the gages and honestly thought the car didn't have tpms. I read the manual and googled and could not find it anywhere! Soon as I get my car back I will be looking for it under the trip option.

I agree the menus and Guage cluster option are not laid out in a very user friendly way. Takes a little playing around and searching for things. My Raptor was way easier to navigate and find your desired settings/gauges. Maybe this one will grow on me over time.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
...all this in a 760hp package and you are gonna gripe about MPG's and time between fill-ups... OK boomer...
This got misdirected somehow. "Boomers" grew up with diaplacements in cubic inches like 460, 455, 454, 427, etc. They get how big power works. It is those that cling to unicorn power that are so averse to mpg numbers that don't meet their utopian ideology.

My only complaint here is I want more tank!

Sponsored

Blackbite

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Vehicle(s)
2003 mustang cobra, 2019 GT350R
(This post is the logical "chapter deux" from the "initial impressions" post here...)

After taking delivery back on the 19th of April - and then enduring 2 days of snow and LOTS of salt on the roads... we got FINALLY got rain to clear the roads... and Saturday was the PERFECT day to actually take her out. As luck would have it - our Mustang club had a cruise scheduled - so even better way to take her out on the inaugural tour. I did "protect" the front of the car for the trip - not that I really worry - but I have never done PPF before and the car goes away for a week on May 10... and if I'm spending all this money for PPF and paint correction and ceramic and crap - I might as well keep it as clean as I can... honestly - it's killing me to worry about this - I never do. So I'll be SOOO happy when that's done and I can just drive the car!
trackarmour.jpg

One of the challenges on the first real trip out was not so much the car - but the switching of cars... like - forgot to move the EZPass over... damn near locked ourselves out of the house as the HomeLink in the GT500 doesn't understand our controller and I need to do the button press for new remote on the unit hanging in the garage itself... And other things... which had my wife asking me at one point - "what have you been doing for the last week sitting in the car"... and I honestly don't know, proablly lost in menus (see below)... I think the new car fumes make me high and happy - and that's my story. I DID have my Uniden R7 mounted on a blend mount and Mirror - and that worked great.

So out on the road - finally - with 46.6 miles on the odometer. This car is just smooth. I know I went on about the transmission in my first post - and others have as well - but it really is an utter marvel of engineering. You never feel the thing up-shift - it just pulls for days - and with only 50 miles on the car - I'm talking just 1/4 - 1/3 throttle type things. It's just amazing. Like - I bought THIS car for THIS transmission... so rare is it when you buy something for a single feature (or primary feature) and that HYPED feature not only meets but exceeds your expectations. This thing is all that and a bag of chips (but you can't eat them in the car). Single best feature IMHO - this alone makes this car a must buy. A transmission...

I'm not a "look at me" kind of guy - the Rapid Red color on this car was all my wife... The paint is really amazing under the sun - great color, she picked REAL GUD... but - as a "grey and silver car guy" - I can tell you 100% this car shows dust, pollen and even minor clear coat scratches SOOOOO much easier and more readily than my typical go to colors. And let me be clear - I'm NOT a detail the car every time I can guy - I run them with a little dirt to show they live... but the "darkness and depth" of this color is gonna probally make me a little more attentive to not being a slob. My C7 Z was a head turner - it was Ceramic Matrix Grey with black trim so rock chips in the paint that showed primer matched the paint color so it always looked "clean and perfect" - and people noticed it. I couldn't get gas without someone coming over to ask what it was. People would wave, give thumbs up, etc... it was was a very catchy car that seemed to appeal to all but the Tesla / Prius crowd (maybe they liked it but not enough to stop their embrace with a tree). I assumed this car would fly under the radar a bit more as it's "just a special" Mustang. Maybe it does... but JUST SLIGHTLY. It seems that maybe not EVERYONE looks at this car like it seemed like they did with the C7... BUT - the people who KNOW what this car is - are far more exuberant to wave, thumbs up, smile, make an "O" face, etc. This is not a fly under the radar car at all. Especially if you do the obligatory toggle of the damn exhaust to Track...

Ohh the sounds this car makes. Loved the rumble of the pushrod C7... I have always said the firing order is better on a Coyote and now with 120+ miles on this - there is no damn doubt this car sounds so much better. Our cruse took us through a small local village... of course I have to constantly grab the downshift paddle - and you can hear the damn sound rolling up the street ahead of you and see people tuning their heads... and this is with me in the middle of a pack of other custom exhaust Mustangs. This car my not be the loudest - but there's something in the stock exhaust notes that gets people attention. The downshift makes it too easy. Pull both paddles (you gotta watch the display to see the gear number dissapear) and you get neutral and give it a little rev under a bridge... And - manual up-shifts - if you hit it at like 3200-3400, you get a satisfying "pop" damn near every time. And you can do this in Manual or Auto modes.

So transmission controls when in Auto... Normal drive mode, the tune the transmission runs an algorithm to save gas I think... to me - it behaves a bit like the A10... it just wants to stay at the lowest RMP it can to slurp gas not guzzle. (nothing makes this car sip gas - nothing). Change the mode to "sport" and the transmission program is be best change - IMHO - the shift points move up into the bottom of the powerband - it holds the RPM's longer and is juts MORE FUN. And - really - the execution of the paddle interruption is VERY well done. My C7 was a M7... but I test drive the auto... and that thing sucked hard. Slush box and the paddle interrupt was trash - it also held the "manual" way too long after interrupt IMHO. The time the GT500 holds manual mode on the Auto interrupt is just about perfect. The display showing the paddles as active is a nice touch too. Really - you can drive in auto - and know with 100% confidence that you can command things instantly whenever you want... and for the "NoT foR Me wIthOut a mANual" crowd... to be fair - I might have worn out the dead pedal with my left foot Saturday... coming from a manual - this car "feels" like it needs a manual to me so I stomped on the floor often enough out of habit that my wife asked me if I had to go pee. BUT - just like the notion of a touch screen phone with no buttons "how am i going to call someone" - that's it... nobody worries about that now, technology carried us all forward and this is the same thing. This DCT got me so converted by the final leg of our trip home I was mostly done "pee stomping" the dead pedal and I honestly don't really miss it - the paddles are really just that satisfying when you want to play. Is it "less engaging" than clutching and shifting - I mean, yes, you are doing "less" - but can you do the same things as clutching and shifting "yes" and you are faster for it. I can't begrudge Ford for killing the manual - and when looked at through the lens of this DCT execution - once you drive one - seriously...

For the crappy NY roads - Normal suspension is great for making it a "cruiser" - Sport when you know you have smooth stretch with twists and turns, for sure. Steering can almost never be firm enough IMHO, so I get that in Sport first thing. If you are on a long drive of highway and want to feel all lazy or something, maybe you mush it up more... but the Sport setting could be a bit more firm IMHO - specifically for track - but it's good enough TBH.

When I hit 100 miles - I decided it was OK to move up to 1/2 throttle pulls as the car was all warmed up and the road / tires were warmer than the morning... The only comment here is forward looking - come "broken in" 500 miles... this thing is a GD missile on wheels. Wife's input from the neck snapping power this puts down at only 1/2 throttle... "I'm glad these headrests are so cushy". And it's not just the headrests - the "comfy seats" are just the bomb. Do the Recaro's "look" better - sure - when the car is parked - but yeah... but I bought her to drive (car not wife) and these seats were 100% the right choice... My @$$ isn't looking at the seat - it's enjoying the comfort climate I can provide it. And given how fast this thing can be - it's probably a long term good thing you can keep that portion of your anatomy cooled :)

Then there the brakes. The C7 Z had one of the shortest stopping distances for a production car.. Google puts this car like within a foot or 2... and personally the weight transfer on this one (vs the C7's 50/50 distribution) makes this car feel like it stops SHORTER. Like - yeah - wow - impressed.

Now for some honestly - all is not absolutely perfect. And of course - I'm going to throw the stones at the software engineers... Guys - WTF. The menus are a F*C#IN% mess! There's no logic - it's like pieces of software from 10 different cars - someone clicked "merge" and the yelled "ship it". Gauges - sure ok - pick your gauges - they show... but - on the track - tire pressure is important - WTF - that's under trip menu!? And it's gotta be the whole display. Then there's "Easy Entry/Exit" - bro, Ford, bro - I sold the Vette because I'm not 90 and can get in and out on my own, thank you - I personally don't want the seat moving to let me out and put it so far back I can't reach the brake without sliding down like a naughty lil boy to reach the brake... to then have the seat push me forward... I could NOT find that - after 30 minutes in the garage WITH the manual and Google... a friendly rando dude on Facebook told me where that gem was hidden. The Sync setting are about the same - not everything you think is configuration is under configuration - anywhere. The manual sorta breaks down the menu selections - but it's not complete... I mean - it's a janky mess... I think I figure out where things are and have things set up - like My Mode (Sport steering, track exhaust, sport transmission, normal suspension) and other things - but some day I might want to change something and the menus won't be assisting me... but... but I was smart... I wrote down all the menu settings and how to get them - by hand, on pounded out papyrus, put it in a waxed leather sheath and buried in the desert... where the Ford archeologists who hid all the menu options will know where to find it... (it's a shame I can't make the theme from Indiana Jones play whenever you touch a menu button, it should).

My C7 had this rattle in the interior trim at certain RPM's - you couldn't find it because you couldn't reproduce it unless underway... I appreciate Ford for including that feature as an homage to the Vette. Impressed they were able to reproduce the exact tone, frequency and RPM range on such a different car.

And fuel consumption - not that the C7 was a gas sipper either - but... this thing very clearly, as every one says - needs a frequent flyer card for the nearest station... boo hoo - you want all this in a 760hp package and you are gonna gripe about MPG's and time between fill-ups... OK boomer...

Overall - I think the reviews out there are pretty spot on for this car - crazy power, great handling (since I can't really jam on it yet - I did work the curves with some enthusiasm when things warmed up and this thing just stays stuck), clearly the best Mustang yet. People dig it - I dig it - and it's very comfortable.
The 5Spurs expensive dial cover - does look a LOT better than the factory knob... is it worth it - I dunno, but I like it.
before.jpg
after.jpg

Haven't installed the 5Spurs button - wish I didn't order that - the stock one has more back lighting through the words on the button and I like that...
Have a set of Seeda low profile jacking rails on order - when they arrive - I'll get them installed and then put her up on the lift and poke around a little.
I have the Navicks module and the front camera ordered... I'm just not sure, now that it's ordered, that I want to tear the car apart for that... I may RMA it and just back into every spot I find.

Why am I writing these - because it was these types of posts here and in other places that were so helpful when I was looking for real world GT500 reviews beyond the "paid for print" reviews and the "click on my youtube video so I can make ad revenue" links in helping me determine if this was a good choice...
Really great write up.

GT 500 760

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 ........Past Shelby’s 2019 GT350R, 2009 GT500 KR, 1970 GT500 ,1969 GT350 ,1966 GT350.
Nice write up and thanks. on the subject about gas mileage . seats and your C7.

Living in the Atlanta area we just got hit with a gas shortage. Most stations don’t have premium. The gas lines are long. So the GT500 has a half of tank and is parked for awhile. I’ll use my wife’s SUV if needed. We are both retired so no need to travel for now. Yes a slightly bigger tank would help. Got 3/4 tank in my other Shelby but still needs premium gas.

The Recaros seem a bit more comfortable in the GT500 then the Recaros in my old 2019 GT350R. They were a tighter fit in the 350 IMO. Plus I like the leather trim in the 500.

C8 Z51 I traded for this 2021 Shelby GT500. First off the C8 has become way to tame. The sound even with the NPP exhaust is quiet and you can barely hear it when you hold a gear. Only at WOT do you actually hear the engine. Since I bought it for MSRP the trade in value was through the roof. The red line on the push rod engine is only 6500 and with the gearing you are always shifting it seems. You run of of engine real fast at WOT. Just had to get back in a car with much more visceral experience. Because of the trade in value it’s like buying the 500 with a $15K discount. You see in Ga you pay no tax if the trade in is more then the car you are buying.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
S

trackarmour.jpg

before.jpg
after.jpg

Son... I like how you write. I want to meet you and have you drive me around (in the GT500 of course).
That is all.

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
Nice write-up! I cannot agree enough about how amazing the transmission is. That is what sold me on the car compared to my Z06, which is identical in performance. I was lucky to find one at a CarMax (shame huh?) and schedule a test drive. Since they have COVID restrictions, they gave my wife and I the key and we were allowed to take it out after providing them with my insurance information.

I did not go crazy however, the initial shifting was immediately noticeable. For me, it was not simply how quickly it shifted but the overall feel, I'm sure anyone who has or has been in one knows what I mean. I am not saying my Z06 was bad however, I will say the delay with the Z06 in manual was a minus 1 point.

From the power perspective, down low it did not feel quite a fast as my Z06, there was always that rollercoaster feeling the Z06 would put in your stomach even at partial throttle. However, I noticed slightly higher in the rpms is where the GT500 came into its own.

Anyhow, the fact that I had a 2010 Shelby once before and really liked it, the looks, and of course the transmission and motor....same day I test drove one well, I bought and took mine home after an intensive search and many many phone calls!

Once more, nice write-up and hopefully soon I'll be able to take mine out as well.

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Informative writeup. Later comments from others regarding seat comfort, as opposed to appearance, is 100% subjective and has context only as a reader matching the writers size and weight.

I changed my C7 Z06 seats to a set of 100% Italian leather (every surface/all sides), a clone of a Ferrari F12 seat design. Absolutely fabulous, in looks, comfort, and support. Only downside is $4,000 for the two, installed. Of course if you bought them from Ferrari, that would be a deposit.

I love the seats in my 2019 GT350. They look good and are very comfortable and supportive, without being physically intrusive in how their support. If someone here would buy the GT500 for the DCT (which I fully understand how they function, I have always recommended to buy the GT350 simply for its engine sound all the way to 8,300. Very well balanced, great handling, and road feedback. Like a spirited horse (no pun intended). And of course thank goodness it has the the magnetic shocks, a GM patented product, that most super cars use under license, are absolutely unbeatable. Always loved them on my Z06.

For the comment that the GT500 and Z06 acceleration times are "the same' - wrong, not even close .Official 0-60 time for my C7 Z06 A8 is 2.95 sec. Just a cold air intake and modified throttle body brings my car to 710 hp, with no warranty impact, even faster, at less than $1K, and with a lot less weight (some 600 lbs less), it's not possible.

Great thing about the C7 is that it can last "forever", having hardly any parts that can rust.
Not the case at all with any Mustang.

All three cars are great - they are not supposed to be the same for many reasons, i.e. price, engineering, history, customer base, from whence they evolved, etc.

Last edited:

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
Informative writeup. Later comments from others regarding seat comfort, as opposed to appearance, is 100% subjective and has context only as a reader matching the writers size and weight.

I changed my C7 Z06 seats to a set of 100% Italian leather (every surface/all sides), a clone of a Ferrari F12 seat design. Absolutely fabulous, in looks, comfort, and support. Only downside is $4,000 for the two, installed. Of course if you bought them from Ferrari, that would be a deposit.

I love the seats in my 2019 GT350. They look good and are very comfortable and supportive, without being physically intrusive in how their support. If someone here would buy the GT500 for the DCT (which I fully understand how they function, I have always recommended to buy the GT350 simply for its engine sound all the way to 8,300. Very well balanced, great handling, and road feedback. Like a spirited horse (no pun intended). And of course thank goodness it has the the magnetic shocks, a GM patented product, that most super cars use under license, are absolutely unbeatable. Always loved them on my Z06.

For the comment that the GT500 and Z06 acceleration times are "the same' - wrong, not even close .Official 0-60 time for my C7 Z06 A8 is 2.95 sec. Just a cold air intake and modified throttle body brings my car to 710 hp, with no warranty impact, even faster, at less than $1K, and with a lot less weight (some 600 lbs less), it's not possible.

Great thing about the C7 is that it can last "forever", having hardly any parts that can rust.
Not the case at all with any Mustang.

All three cars are great - they are not supposed to be the same for many reasons, i.e. price, engineering, history, customer base, from whence they evolved, etc.
I agree with the Z06 comment on 0-60, the Z06 is faster although, the time you quote is on a prepped surface (2.95) you’re not getting that stock on stock tires! (mine was a 2019 A8) however, look at the 1/4 mile and track times, they are identical. The Z06 was much stronger down low as I said, on initial throttle...mine would punch you in the belly. However, up top the GT500 does pull harder. I've driven both on the same day, on the same roads and it's not "significant" however the GT500 does pull harder up top and the 1/4 mile traps also confirm this. There are enough videos to confirm this, stock vs stock (Stangmode made a video early on as well)

Speaking from having owned both, my best time 0-60 on the street with my Z06 was 3.3 seconds, I simply could not get the Michelins to look up any better. I highly doubt 2.95 is possible on the street on the stock Michelin’s. VS the GT500 I've only been able to get 3.6 however, I have not tried "drag" mode yet. However, I do not think the GT500 will match the Z06's 0-60 time as that 6.2L motor pulls so amazingly well especially, down low. The 3.3 in the Z06 was in track with the additional track "Sport II" mode.

I will also give the advantage to the GT500 in hooking up, my Z06 needed a decent amount of respect with the throttle where the GT500 does an amazing job of tracking even when the tires break loose. There were times where the Z06 would spin up far easier and while it was fun, that is also the type of car where someone who does not know what they are doing will end up in a ditch very quickly!

It was a tough decision selling the Z06 to get the GT500, the only bad thing I could say about the Z06 was the manual shifting had a delay, which was very annoying. Aside from that, the car was RIDICULOUS and I plan on putting a ZR-1 next to the GT500 once I have it paid off. I loved the Z06, it was a lot of fun and to this day, it still stings....wish I could have kept it. At least, I now know that someday a ZR-1 will be worth purchasing.

I am happy to have owned both and one other note, the Recaros in the GT500 (depending on....your size) are actually more comfortable than the normal seats (I've driven a GT500 with the normal seats and my 2019 Mustang GT PP2 also had them (heated/vented).). Not only do the Recaros look great, they are VERY comfortable and supportive even over longer drives.

From a car perspective, we're in a good moment of time right now with so many overall great performing cars. Numbers are great however, I am a racer and I do know that there are so many cars that a good driver is easily the difference.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
This got misdirected somehow. "Boomers" grew up with diaplacements in cubic inches like 460, 455, 454, 427, etc. They get how big power works. It is those that cling to unicorn power that are so averse to mpg numbers that don't meet their utopian ideology.

My only complaint here is I want more tank!
Yep, this part of the review made absolutely no sense and felt like a contrived jab at boomers.

Coming from a millennial, it's going to be the younger folks that complain about having enormous power and poor gas mileage. Older folks know you can't have your cake and eat it too.
Sponsored