Sponsored

New 2021 BMW M4 manual.

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
Basically what I was going to say. We have an X3M and it sure is a wonderful vehicle to drive. I cannot wait to get rid of it simply due to costs of maintenance and it’s computer constantly wants something. Dealer wanted 2,500$ for brakes and rotors, oh and don’t forget you need to flushed out the brake system every time you need a set of brakes. I did all this myself on a Saturday for about 600$ in parts and tools.

I’m terrified something serious will go wrong with it. Trading it for a 22 Explorer ST as soon as it shows up. It’s no surprise their resale value is garbage.
Man when they work, they're INCREDIBLE. But when it's time for maintenance or repair, it has the ability to sink you for sure. I lost my tail when I traded mine but I was happy to be rid of it because like you said, terrified is an accurate description!

The ST is gonna be sick!
Sponsored

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (sold)
I am now 2nd on my dealer list to get a manual M4 allotment and should receive it in September. My configuration is Isle of Man green on Kayalami orange leather with ventilated seats and the laser lights. It took a while to make this decision but I finally took the plunge.

I ordered a 2022 GT Premium in cyber orange with all the goodies but turned it down after it got to the dealer. I realized I was trying to recapture how I felt with my 2016 GT and when I saw it and drove it, I realized that wasn’t going to happen. Also, I’m in a different phase of life and want more tech and better build quality. I’m not bashing mustangs and I still love them, but wow was this one full of issues. The seat leather was sewn crooked, there was glue smeared all over the carpet, there was still plastic flashing on the misaligned door handles, and I swear there was something wrong with the B&O system as it sounded worse than the stock 6 speaker system. I couldn’t bring myself to spend $50k on that.

I still don’t like the BMW grille, but it’s ok with a dark paint color. Everything else about the car is damn near perfect and for now the M4 doesn’t get BMW’s new massive LCD panel dash that looks like every other damn dash on the market. My dealer sells at MSRP with zero add-ons so I had to jump and get it. It’s a totally different beast than a mustang but I think I’ll love it. I’ll postpone my return to the mustang world until the 7G convertible comes out next year.

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
Congrats. I couldn't live with the beaver grill
I saw that green color in person last week. it looks so good in the sun.

Velocityblue5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
Im waiting on the M2, local dealers near me already have wait lists but aren't collecting deposits until the car is officially announced. I assume the car will respond similar to throttle like the M4 with zero turbo lag. It's using the same S58 engine just detuned.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I love the way BMW’s drive overall and the build quality is noticeably better. One glaring BMW shortcoming for me is simply the fact that after a few years
bmw’s tend to look old, dated and stale. Whereas the Mustang kept in great condition no matter what generation always looks great and just cool. Classic Mustang vs. old BMW.

Sponsored

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
I got to drive one the other day and I have to say I was thoroughly impressed. Car and Driver ran 0-60 in 3.8 and it did the 1/4 mile in 12.0@ 121mph. How can this be when this car is similar weight to the Mustang GT manual and with only 13hp more per rating. I have to say this thing flies. I noticed no, none, zero turbo lag. The front of the car is growing on me and to be honest there is no comparison as far as build quality and interior. As it should be as this car is over $20k more than fully loaded Mustang GT premium. The thing is it leases pretty good compared to buying a Mach 1. I like to lease as I get the tax write off as I am self-employed.

The manual tranny shifter was typical BMW meaning a little rubbery, just like my E92 M3 was and my previous E46 M3s. The Mustang even with its Getrag MT82D4 feel is much better as was the sound. I will say it did sound better than the older F8X cars but still not a V8.

I bought my 2020 Mustang GT 300a PP car for just $38k on got 0 percent financing for 72 mos. I actually have about $6-8K equity in the car. Kind of torn...love the Mustang but I am itching to get back into a M car again.
the M car is FAR AND AWAY a better car than a Mustang.

They respond to mods great too. Not to mention that motor in them will take 900-1000hp all day long and not break a sweat.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a 22 BMW X5 xdrive40i M-Sport beginning of this year and absolutely love it!
Smoothest transmission I've ever driven! Built like a tank and super fast for a big SUV, like 5 sec to 60 and feels like your doing 60 at 100mph.
The interior and electronics make the Ford look like a toy, that's for sure.
But nothing beats the sound and feel of my Mach 1 V8, I wouldn't trade it for a M3/4.
And as far as tuning, Personally I wouldn't risk my 5 year warranty on a BMW with how much it is to service these German cars.

MACHtobers Very Own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MACH 1
I have wanted an M car so bad for half of my life. I've chickened out every time I've been in a place to buy one. I like to keep my cars for as long as I want and have kept some short some long. The Germans just always feel like a car you get and trade in in a few years. Looked at m3/4 Audi rs5's etc and I just havnt pulled trigger. I also can't justify that level of investment when other cars offer the same at much lower cost/maintenance.

The beaver grill looks nice on the m cars cause the rest of the car's aggressiveness matches how aggressive the grill is. It looks silly on the base models.

but all that to say go with what makes you happy. It ain't trickin if you got it 🤷🏻‍♂️

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (sold)
Im waiting on the M2, local dealers near me already have wait lists but aren't collecting deposits until the car is officially announced. I assume the car will respond similar to throttle like the M4 with zero turbo lag. It's using the same S58 engine just detuned.
I was considering the M2 until I found out this year the 2 series switched to BMW’s new iDrive 8, and the entire dash and center console is one giant tablet and they got rid of all of the buttons. I’m so sick of this touchscreen trend in cars.

SloWay2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT Vert
I would hope it’s by far and away better than a mustang, it literally costs twice as much and is an entirely higher class.

I’m happy for you! That Isle of Man green is awesome. On another note the paint on the BMW is much better than the domestics I’ve had with regards to chipping so that’s another plus.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Having owned BMW’s in the past, I wouldn’t necessarily go that far. BMW sheetmetal is better quality, stamping is crisper, more consistent and of stricter tolerances. Paint is better. Interior materials are boring but usually better quality. As far as being worth double? I don’t think so. I’d say $10-12k worth of extra quality with virtually no real gain in actual driving enjoyment. Other factors may weigh higher in decisions.
Unpractical as it may seem, I have always thought Ford should offer a special production line for those who would like their Mustang built with higher spec parts, paint and assembly along with factory delivery. $10-12k to have a higher quality Mustang build would leave the BMW with little more than the weight of its name in competition. If they could do it for $6k it would be even better.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Unfortunately, I believe many people would not feel they should pay an extra $10-12k to get a high-quality product. That sounds like a company shooting itself in the foot. You lose your base buyers because you project the image of lower quality at that level......and many base buyers may not want to make that $10-12k jump and would possibly consider another brand at that cost.

Having owned BMW’s in the past, I wouldn’t necessarily go that far. BMW sheetmetal is better quality, stamping is crisper, more consistent and of stricter tolerances. Paint is better. Interior materials are boring but usually better quality. As far as being worth double? I don’t think so. I’d say $10-12k worth of extra quality with virtually no real gain in actual driving enjoyment. Other factors may weigh higher in decisions.
Unpractical as it may seem, I have always thought Ford should offer a special production line for those who would like their Mustang built with higher spec parts, paint and assembly along with factory delivery. $10-12k to have a higher quality Mustang build would leave the BMW with little more than the weight of its name in competition. If they could do it for $6k it would be even better.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Owned a E92 M3 and a few other non BMWs over the years. I think they are great cars and love the new custom ordering system. I actually have a 2023 M240i on order right now being built this month. My mom will most likely purchase the car as I decided to go with the mustang instead.

For me though I just hate the way the M3/4 sound. Literally just that motor. The B58 single turbo sounds amazing and the V8 models sound good as well (my boss has a M8).

Can`t spend 70k+ for a terrible sounding car in my opinion.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
the M car is FAR AND AWAY a better car than a Mustang.

They respond to mods great too. Not to mention that motor in them will take 900-1000hp all day long and not break a sweat.
The last time I test drove BMWs I was dailying the GT350 I owned at the time. I felt like the Ford switch gear in the interior was better. Now the BMW I drove had some miles on it and was almost a year old, but I was comparing it to a couple year old Shelby. The BMW had a generally better looking interior. Better looking materials. The BMW shifter/transmission is great from what I could tell. Really nice quality.

The BMW straight 6 engine sounds pretty meh to me. It's ok, but when I got back in the GT350 and listened to the Voodoo, there was no comparison. And I personally prefer any V8 over the sound of a turbo 6.

Handling and such from what I could tell in a short drive didn't seem too bad in the M car. The Shelby was definitely better. More firm and body motions better controlled.

I couldn't really say anything about panels and paint, because by that point I knew I wasn't buying the bimmer.

IMO BMWs are better in some ways but certainly not all. It's definitely not a performance bargain like the Mustang can be. And I sure wouldn't modify that expensive of a car and throw away the warranty.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
I'm in the buy used arena. Depreciating asset. Dalying my 2018 Roush RS2 I got when COVID first hit for 39,500 w 6K miles on it. Still got long payment term. 449/mo. and Ford Extended Warranty. I'll never lose on this baby, then I can do something similar when I'm ready. Love my car and 500-600 plus a month (extra) could go a long way towards savings or... a UTV :) For me a slightly cooler (opinion) and newer car isn't worth that type of squeeze. But hey costs money to be cool and if makes you happy freaking do it!
Sponsored