Sponsored

New 2020 GT500 Poor Quality Work From Ford

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I don't know if I should laugh or cry viewing that photo with the quarter window decal in the same shot ... :frown:

I might get flamed for this but I will say it anyway - we have two Kia's in the family and build / quality wise, the mustang isn't a favourable comparison ... :shock:

WD :like:
The Quality sticker on my Bullitt looks like that too lol
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
From a financial point of view, Ford must spend a fortune on outside warranty work ? If they had better controls , all this warranty work could be done in-house at a fraction of cost.
Besides the cost, there is pride attached to the product your company produces surely ?
I think one of the better read gents on this site should write a eloquent letter to Ford/ Mustang line. The rest of us could put our names to it.

We might be surprised .
Cheaper. They know most things won't get noticed or the person won't bother to fix them. So, it's cheaper to have the few things that are seen/complained about addressed later than spend the shop workers for more time, or provide the better facilities to make sure they are more attentive to get it right the first time.

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
Cheaper. They know most things won't get noticed or the person won't bother to fix them. So, it's cheaper to have the few things that are seen/complained about addressed later than spend the shop workers for more time, or provide the better facilities to make sure they are more attentive to get it right the first time.
Considering a normal car you’re probably correct, but a Mustang is a enthusiasts car and as a enthusiast car it will be picked on and inspected and loved a lot more than say a MPV or a so called run of the mill car..

Even my Ford dealer has admitted that there isn’t a single mustang they sold that hasn’t been back to body shop!
A lot of things the buyers just have to digest. Skew rear glass is a perfect example .

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Considering a normal car you’re probably correct, but a Mustang is a enthusiasts car and as a enthusiast car it will be picked on and inspected and loved a lot more than say a MPV or a so called run of the mill car..

Even my Ford dealer has admitted that there isn’t a single mustang they sold that hasn’t been back to body shop!
A lot of things the buyers just have to digest. Skew rear glass is a perfect example.
That may be true for the Shelby's but Anything under that just isn't going to be looked at in that detail by the buyer. Heck even for the Shelby's I wouldn't be amazed if most the buyers are buying them just to say they have one and be seen in it.

I'd love it if the cars that are Shelby/Bullitt/Mach1/50th Anniversary trim levels got a bit extra attention to details/extra inspection level, but to the OEM, it's just not worth the few $$ more when that money could go to the profit line for shareholders to enjoy.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Man, that would drive me nuts. I agree with you though, I wouldn’t want the quarter panel repainted either.

He needs to do something with that. Base is not meant to be exposed. I'd take it to the highest end body shop in the area, you'll never be able to tell it was fixed.

Alternatively, the whole QP which connects to the roof and the other quarter needs PPF.

Sponsored

GP2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
LT BLUE 2017 GT
my 2020 GT built in July arrived at the dealership with this blemish. A piece of metal that protruded out of the drivers side quarter. Someone at the plant tried to wet sand it and went right through the clear. I took the car non dealer prepped so it went unnoticed until I washed the car. I don’t have high expectations of Ford but even this was hard to swallow. I did not want my entire quarter panel repainted so I’m living with it.
FFE59520-1088-4418-B170-18B046FD9A98.jpeg
29C9C574-79FC-4868-A21B-C6D6C128D3EF.jpeg
Somehow the front passenger fender got scratched in my garage. I couldn't stand to look at it, so I took it to the dealership and had the fender painted. Best decision I ever made. Paint matches perfectly. Might be worth the effort to have it painted.

fishpick

Threads
Reaction score
Part of NY w/ high taxes to support the other part
Vehicle(s)
0 mustangs owned currently
All the talk of the great Tundra build quality... my 2003 Tundra was the only Lemon Law car I have ever owned - it was absolute unfix-able garbage (legally un-fixable).

My 2010 Tundra has 105k on it and going strong...

Obviously a lot depends on the line the day the vehicle is built...

Kingkong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE, Hellcat Charger
Somehow the front passenger fender got scratched in my garage. I couldn't stand to look at it, so I took it to the dealership and had the fender painted. Best decision I ever made. Paint matches perfectly. Might be worth the effort to have it painted.
For the front fender I would definitely fix, but in his case its the quarter panel. I guess it really depends on how good the shop is.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Get that fixed. You'll never know it was there and soon forget about it altogether.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
From a financial point of view, Ford must spend a fortune on outside warranty work
I think that's built in to the price of the car.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
From a financial point of view, Ford must spend a fortune on outside warranty work ? I
I think that's built in to the price of the car.
Funny you should mention that, I posted this on my build thread this morning :

I had kept quiet about the delivery damage / warranty claims I had on the car from new (didn’t want to jinx it), but now they are all done and I have the costs, I will share details accordingly :like:

Items that Ford did wrong at Flat Rock :
  • Hood blanket.
  • Drivers side inner door panel.
Items that got damaged during transport :
  • Passenger side door mirror cap repaint.
  • Front bumper repaint.
  • Front splitter.
  • Recaro drivers side leather seat base cover.
  • Recaro drivers side plastic seat base trim.
  • Lower drivers side door sill trim.
  • Lower drivers side A pillar trim.
  • Drivers side inner door panel.
Note that the drivers side inner door panel appears on both lists because A) Ford fitted the wrong item and B) they then kicked and scuffed it during transport ! The slightly annoying thing is that I fixed the door panel (using heat) so it didn't need replacement, stood back to admire my work and then noticed it didn't match the passenger side ... :facepalm:

1629876163188.png

The bumper and mirror cap were repainted before I accepted the car, but adding the other bits up and adding on the VAT that list comes to £2051.89 so maybe £2500 ish with the paint work … ? :shock:

I appreciate Ford will see less cost than that but even so, transport damage must be getting on someone’s radar somewhere … ?

Don’t think mine was a one off either – remember I was lucky enough to see mine straight off the transporter, so some / most of these issues would have been hidden from the average buyer.

I even heard a rumour that a brand new Mustang got sent to auction rather than sold by Ford. I believe it had transport related undercar damage that was only found after delivery and after the claim limit on the transport company had passed. Ford choose to put it through auction rather than repair and sell it from the forecourt :frown:
ÂŁ2500 = Approx $3430 ...

Note that transport damage features quite a lot on the above. On a UK bound car that means a train, 2 x ferry's and a car transporter so not necessarily a fair representation of the transport risks you might be exposed to for the US domestic market.

WD :like:

kcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500, Base w/tech, black roof, vinyl stripes
The fact that some guys say "It's a Mustang, what do you expect?" absolutely floors me. My 21 has so many poor quality control defects it doesn't make any bit of sense!
Would you build a house and be happy with your sheet rock being mudded all messed up and having the walls look horrible? No, you would have the contractor fix his shit job!
No excuses and Ford has done downhill! This is my 13th Mustang and by far the worst fit/finish ever!
The attitude and audacity of a company or anybody allowing or believing sending shit to a hard working paying customer is total BS!

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought this was finally over after 2015-16 initial hiccups.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The attitude and audacity of a company or anybody allowing or believing sending shit to a hard working paying customer is total BS!
that's why people buy Kia. Or 7th gen GTI. Or Honda.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think what would annoy me most would be the fact that this has been going on for so long.
Sponsored