Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
Yes, put 760 hp in a car with a posh interior and BMW level of exterior finish and it is no longer a $75k purchase.

These are Mustangs... from the basic rental fleet vehicle up through the painted stripe CFTP... they all go down the same line.
Sponsored

FASTCARS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RL
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Pilot & 2021 GT500
I’ve owned Porsche, Lexus, Honda, Dodge, Ford, and Chrysler. None of them have been perfect. I believe COVID-19 had lots to do with the quality inconsistencies of all assembled cars during that time. Different people were putting together cars everyday due to lots of people being absent. The 2021 cars should be back into process control with consistent people to the perform the required work.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
That’s right. I’ve heard Hellcat owners say the same thing. At the end of the day it’s still a Mustang. It pains me to say so but my Hondas have better build quality. But then, they were not nearly as fun to drive, sound remotely as good, or look as good. And the aftermarket support is way better for the Ford. It’s the trade off we live with.

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
At the end of the day just because it has world class performance doesn’t mean it has world class build quality. I think one reason people complain is because well when you have an option like 10 grand for stripes people expect better. With cars like the hellcats people know you’re paying for the power and that’s about all. Heck dodge advertisements make that a bragging point. Also I think we can all agree some things we have seen are just unacceptable on any car.

FASTCARS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RL
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Pilot & 2021 GT500
At the end of the day just because it has world class performance doesn’t mean it has world class build quality. I think one reason people complain is because well when you have an option like 10 grand for stripes people expect better. With cars like the hellcats people know you’re paying for the power and that’s about all. Heck dodge advertisements make that a bragging point. Also I think we can all agree some things we have seen are just unacceptable on any car.
COVID-19

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
rubbish. Ford has sucked for decades. If they refuse to enforce quality when "the regulars" are on the line, COVID is just a dodge. You either train the QA inspectors and incentivize them to be ruthless about adherence to the standard, or just stop pretending you give a damn about quality and workmanship.

"Ooh, great motor" is not an excuse to do slipshod work in the paint booth. The paint booth should be PERFECT EVERY SINGLE TIME! Otherwise you provably don't have a repeatable process (remember that ISO9000 stuff?) and you're not controlling your inputs be it panel prep, air-pressure at the nozzle, or consistency of the paint.

No panel should leave the paint station without a proper inspection by trained staff and if the panel is bad it goes back to scrap/reconditioning. Ford apparently doesn't inspect well, if at all and it ends up on the line. Now every person who sees the car from that point if they notice the problem should immediately mark the entire build as scrap/recondition and fail it right then and there. That's how people who give a damn about QC do it.

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
rubbish. Ford has sucked for decades. If they refuse to enforce quality when "the regulars" are on the line, COVID is just a dodge. You either train the QA inspectors and incentivize them to be ruthless about adherence to the standard, or just stop pretending you give a damn about quality and workmanship.

"Ooh, great motor" is not an excuse to do slipshod work in the paint booth. The paint booth should be PERFECT EVERY SINGLE TIME! Otherwise you provably don't have a repeatable process (remember that ISO9000 stuff?) and you're not controlling your inputs be it panel prep, air-pressure at the nozzle, or consistency of the paint.

No panel should leave the paint station without a proper inspection by trained staff and if the panel is bad it goes back to scrap/reconditioning. Ford apparently doesn't inspect well, if at all and it ends up on the line. Now every person who sees the car from that point if they notice the problem should immediately mark the entire build as scrap/recondition and fail it right then and there. That's how people who give a damn about QC do it.
my 2020 GT built in July arrived at the dealership with this blemish. A piece of metal that protruded out of the drivers side quarter. Someone at the plant tried to wet sand it and went right through the clear. I took the car non dealer prepped so it went unnoticed until I washed the car. I don’t have high expectations of Ford but even this was hard to swallow. I did not want my entire quarter panel repainted so I’m living with it.
FFE59520-1088-4418-B170-18B046FD9A98.jpeg
29C9C574-79FC-4868-A21B-C6D6C128D3EF.jpeg

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
No panel should leave the paint station without a proper inspection by trained staff and if the panel is bad it goes back to scrap/reconditioning.
It’s hard to understand how something so simple either isn’t being done or is being done so badly.

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
Mustangs are awesome cars with a massive following.
I personally believe that with a little effort the end product could be a lot better. I am 100% that me alone would pick up most flaws on each car off the line. Surely they have better trained people than myself ? Just saying.
The thing is, I personally know of several people that didn’t buy a mustang because of the shoddy build.

I knew what I was getting into. Ok it was a lot worst than I expected haha.
I have convinced myself this is what it is.

To the op, if it’s any help, make it a project and accept what can’t be fixed as a birthmark of the car.
If it’s any consolation my car was a mess;
Sanding marks on roof, 3 factory dents, about 100 sand like pimples in paint on passenger door sill, cross threaded bolt on boot adjustment bracket, unaligned panels, incorrectly installed interior panels with crushed clips, misformed rear seat, totally out of level rear window, different colour bumper rear, out of alignment body panels, and a couple of other things.

I had 3 choices, sell it, keep it as is or keep it and fix it as best I could.
I have spent countless hours fixing . I have Kinda bonded with the car.
Almost like a stray dog you take in and it’s actually a great pet.

Just saying, with a Mustang you have to have a different attitude. If a person can’t do this , which I understand, sell the thing another brand.

Kingkong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE, Hellcat Charger
my 2020 GT built in July arrived at the dealership with this blemish. A piece of metal that protruded out of the drivers side quarter. Someone at the plant tried to wet sand it and went right through the clear. I took the car non dealer prepped so it went unnoticed until I washed the car. I don’t have high expectations of Ford but even this was hard to swallow. I did not want my entire quarter panel repainted so I’m living with it.
FFE59520-1088-4418-B170-18B046FD9A98.jpeg
29C9C574-79FC-4868-A21B-C6D6C128D3EF.jpeg
Man, that would drive me nuts. I agree with you though, I wouldn’t want the quarter panel repainted either.

Sponsored

Dcgtconv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darryl
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500KR, 2009 GT500KR, '69Mach1 SCJ, '68 Conv
I am happy with my cars.
Sponsored