Sponsored

New 2020 GT500 Poor Quality Work From Ford

2007GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Just picked up a 2020 GT500 last night. Traded in my 2019 GT350. My 350 build quality was very good. All the body panels were very good. The GT500's body panels are awful to say the least. My car has the vinyl strip option too. The stripes are terrible. They laid the stripes over dirt and hair. There are spots all over the stripes. The car was built in December of 2020 and per the dealer it was in their showroom the entire time they had the car. My mistake was buying the car via pictures rather than in person. I bought the car for MSRP but it was 500 miles away. Local dealers want $10K to $20K over sticker. Someone at the dealership walked off with the owners supplement box and the upper struts mounts from the handling package which was not mentioned to me until after the car shipped.

Below are a few pics of the quality work from Ford. My question is has anyone been successful getting the body panels fixed by Ford? The panel issue is on both sides of the car and both door handles are crooked. I do not care about the stripes on the car and they can be pulled off but it cost $1,000 for junk.

IMG_3422.jpg
IMG_3423.jpg
IMG_3424.jpg
IMG_3426.jpg
Sponsored

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
The cover on the door handle looks like it may not be seated correctly, it comes off to access the the key slot that can be used to unlock the door if the battery is dead. Instructions are in the Mustang owners manual.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I know your bumper can be adjusted. Both the regular GTs I ordered have come with wonky rear bumpers. A local Mustang shop can fix it for me pretty easily but I haven't bothered.

I am not defending Ford here. I ordered a 2019 GT and it came with completely bad paint. Ford eventually bought it back for that issue. My replacement I also ordered had the rattliest interior and a passenger seat that clicked constantly when my fiancé was in it. These issues are all resolved now after some effort. My '19 was rock solid on the interior and I miss that.

It seems like it's a total crap shoot what you get with a Mustang as far as build quality.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
It seems like it's a total crap shoot what you get with a Mustang as far as build quality.
Truth.

My '15 had a misaligned left fender (minor) and has obvious grind marks visible through the paint on the top of the kickup/ducktail on the right rear quarter (not minor). I didn't notice the latter until I got the car home under my shop lighting and was livid. I "fixed" it by installing the GT350TP rear spoiler, the right end of which extends over and covers the horror. It still pisses me off every time I have the trunk open and see it.

It's one thing to have this crap on a car that listed for $40K and change, but the GT500 I'd like to order carries an MSRP of almost $80K. There's always that chance that the planets will align and all would be well, but after seeing what some of you guys are getting.....

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Sorry about your New Baby!

As far as I know about the Owners Supplement Package.. That doesn’t get mailed out until the car is registered in the Owners Name.. I was worried about the same thing. When I inquired about it, i found out that the dealer does Not Get It Shipped To Them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
2007GT500

2007GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I went to Ford's website and built a 2021. It states the adjustable strut mounts are installed at the factory. The gurney flap, splitter wickers and catch can are post sale install items. This could be different from 2020. The price in 2020 was $1,500 and the price in 2021 is $1,750.

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I went to Ford's website and built a 2021. It states the adjustable strut mounts are installed at the factory. The gurney flap, splitter wickers and catch can are post sale install items. This could be different from 2020. The price in 2020 was $1,500 and the price in 2021 is $1,750.
Here is a thread on the topic. I think for early production 2020 cars it was ultimately concluded that they were not included in the handling pack - despite a lot of published info saying they were. Then at some point in 2020 they were and became a factory installed item. Either way, there are several very knowledgeable folks on the thread that should be able to provide some answers.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2020-gt500-handling-package.130958/page-9

EDIT -This is probably a better link and Epiphany is an expert on the topic:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2020-gt500-oem-camber-plates-base-handling-pkg.135155/

Last edited:

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
It's ultimately the dealer's fault. Those things should be caught in final prep. Especially so for a showroom floor example that sat there for months.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
It’s American and it’s Ford, you can’t expect perfection. The Shelbys for some reason have shit quality control while the regular mustang come out almost perfect. You’d think it would be the other way around.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It’s American and it’s Ford, you can’t expect perfection. The Shelbys for some reason have shit quality control while the regular mustang come out almost perfect. You’d think it would be the other way around.

LMFAO - is that sarcasm? Do you venture out beyond this GT500 sub-forum? The regular S550’s as well as many of Ford’s current products have shit quality control - not just the Shelby’s.

The S550 product line has been plagued with body alignment issues, poor paint, damaged paint, failing engines, failing transmissions and incorrect parts installed since inception - and we’re now what, 6 years into S550 production and the QC is still just as bad as day one.

—

OP - you can call the Ford 800# and request a Regional CSR who will open a Case for your complaints. It will get escalated and you will need to stay on top of them so you can be made whole. Having paint or stripe work re-done won’t be a simple 1-2-3 and it’s done, be prepared for the car to be down for a few weeks.

Kingkong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE, Hellcat Charger
Mine was pretty good the day I picked it up. Only thing was the rocker panel were misaligned. Only 100kms on mine though but some of the transmission and engine problems I see on here at low mileage scares me.....

dps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition; 2021 GTS 4.0
I know this won't make you feel any better, but this is pretty consistent across the entire platform. I've seen 8th grade auto shops paint a vehicle better - again a showroom piece for several months. I don't plan to worry about it too much - they'd probably mess it up more trying to fix (at least the finish part of fit/finish).

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I know its common these days to buy a car without seeing it in person, but geez, they betrayed your trust. Also it makes me wonder about the rest of the parts on that car. Were they thrown together as well? If it were me I wouldn’t trust that car. Its a Monday car . Do a buy back and go and see the next car before you buy it.
Sponsored