New 2020 GT500 - Transmission Replacement After Harness, GSM and TCM Replaced

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Covid caused problems that still persist. I ordered a part back in December and it still isn't in.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
At this point - if you are making payments on the car, the next time you have a discussion with your Ford CSR politely tell him/her you wish to be refunded your car payments for every month the car has sat at the Service Center. They should oblige.

The Dealership should also have placed you into a Loaner - free of charge. Did they do that?

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
The Dealership should also have placed you into a Loaner - free of charge. Did they do that?
Is it the right thing to do, yes. However, Ford is under no obligation to provide a loaner. Only time they are required to is if you have an ESP and even then, it is covered for 10 days.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
HAs anyone else had a failed harness?

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
Funny, when I needed a Subaru A/C compressor on a current model year car, and there were none to be had. It was early summer. I asked the Subaru customer service people, how is it that you are building new Legacies without A/C compressors. One magically appeared in a matter of days. I'm guessing a dealer was hoarding it.
After they installed it, the A/C still did not work. They found out that a control cable had come disconnected under the dash, so it would not adjust to cold when you moved the control. LOL. Meanwhile, Subaru gave me a $150 parts credit for my troubles and I bought a short-throw shifter from the dealer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
atxcobra

atxcobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT 500
At this point - if you are making payments on the car, the next time you have a discussion with your Ford CSR politely tell him/her you wish to be refunded your car payments for every month the car has sat at the Service Center. They should oblige.
My CSR called me today. She said they still don't have an ETA, and can't commit to when the car will be fixed. When I asked about reimbursement for my payments, she said that Ford will not issue multiple credits, and that I would have to wait until the car is fixed to apply for a credit. Feels to me like I won't have any leverage at that point. Since the car has been dead for 28 days now (and I only owned it for 30), I'll be able to potential get them to reimburse me for the car and buy it back, since Ford said they have no idea when harnesses will even be available. It could be another 4 weeks, or 4 months. No promise on anything. Absolutely ridiculous.

The dealership did provide me a Ford Escape free of charge, so I have some way to get around.

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
Pretty simple to me, get an attorney involved or continue to be disappointed.
You either have to be prepared to Lemon it or deal with waiting.
As above, they’re still building 500s, so there are harnesses somewhere.
I really do wish you luck and I hope you get the car back soon.
-J

OP
OP
atxcobra

atxcobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT 500
Well, I was super excited yesterday when the dealer called me to tell me they received a harness! However, they installed the harness today, and once again ... the car can't get out of first gear without throwing the same error from a month ago. So I'm right back to a dead car, even after the installation of its 3rd harness (one from factory build, 2 replacements). At this point, it feels like something is wrong with the car, not with the harness, unless I'm somehow unlucky enough to have had 3 bad harnesses. How long or how many more steps before it just gets called a lemon?

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Well, I was super excited yesterday when the dealer called me to tell me they received a harness! However, they installed the harness today, and once again ... the car can't get out of first gear without throwing the same error from a month ago. So I'm right back to a dead car, even after the installation of its 3rd harness (one from factory build, 2 replacements). At this point, it feels like something is wrong with the car, not with the harness, unless I'm somehow unlucky enough to have had 3 bad harnesses. How long or how many more steps before it just gets called a lemon?
The lemon depends on state law, I'd start researching

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
sounds to me there is something else wrong - connector pin(s) are not making contact or a module is not getting proper voltage/signal that may have nothing to do with the harness itself. Though it would be interesting to see if an OHM/continuity test shows a partially broken wire or a bad solder joint. The whole backup camera fiasco was caused by a cable tie wrap installed by an ignoramous who thought crushing a wire bundle was just peachy.

Sponsored
OP
OP
atxcobra

atxcobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT 500
The lemon depends on state law, I'd start researching
Good call. In Texas, it looks like 30 days and/or 3 repairs is part of the baseline. Since it's been over 30 days, it sounds like an attorney will take the case. Such a shame. I had such high expectations and hopes for this car. It was a dream car for me.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
My CSR called me today. She said they still don't have an ETA, and can't commit to when the car will be fixed. When I asked about reimbursement for my payments, she said that Ford will not issue multiple credits, and that I would have to wait until the car is fixed to apply for a credit. Feels to me like I won't have any leverage at that point. Since the car has been dead for 28 days now (and I only owned it for 30), I'll be able to potential get them to reimburse me for the car and buy it back, since Ford said they have no idea when harnesses will even be available. It could be another 4 weeks, or 4 months. No promise on anything. Absolutely ridiculous.

The dealership did provide me a Ford Escape free of charge, so I have some way to get around.
It is ridiculous, but I’m not certain of everyone’s awareness of the shortages on all types of things lately. Paint, PVC piping and fencing, ketchup and certain computer chips are severe. The chip shortage is causing a ripple effect in many unexpected yet somehow associated sectors.

Qckslvr

fiercely mediocre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT
So don't throw stones at me, but I work at a Ford dealer.

COPIS is what they are referring to. A COPIS case is what we open when a part is on back order and we need Ford to get us the part faster. Does it do anything... No... COPIS has no control over manufacturing, but COPIS can try to locate a part.

Has the dealership given you a COPIS case ID number? If not, ask for it. It will start CAS-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXX. Your customer service Rep that you called at Ford may have a seperate COPIS case filed as well. As dumb as this may sound make sure that they have the case number that the dealership generated too. Multiple cases can exist, and yet a service agent may only see the one they are working with.

Next are you in a rental? Always take the rental! Ford does not want to pay for a rental any longer than they need to.

Buy back is not the best option, check with a lawyer first.

On that note we have a F350 that has been at out dealership for 3 months now, and the harness has a June release date.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
On that note we have a F350 that has been at out dealership for 3 months now, and the harness has a June release date.
thank you Harvard educated accountants and business efficiency experts who can't see past their nose the side-effects of JIT-everything. Modern man needs to re-learn the concept of failure modes, and that 'black swans' and other externalities are not rare at all.

OP
OP
atxcobra

atxcobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT 500
So don't throw stones at me, but I work at a Ford dealer.

COPIS is what they are referring to. A COPIS case is what we open when a part is on back order and we need Ford to get us the part faster. Does it do anything... No... COPIS has no control over manufacturing, but COPIS can try to locate a part.

Has the dealership given you a COPIS case ID number? If not, ask for it. It will start CAS-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXX. Your customer service Rep that you called at Ford may have a seperate COPIS case filed as well. As dumb as this may sound make sure that they have the case number that the dealership generated too. Multiple cases can exist, and yet a service agent may only see the one they are working with.

Next are you in a rental? Always take the rental! Ford does not want to pay for a rental any longer than they need to.

Buy back is not the best option, check with a lawyer first.

Thanks for the suggestions and guidance. Fortunately, we got the harness this week, which was sooner than expected. However, this harness that was received, did not resolve the issue with the vehicle. It's still dead, now with a 3rd harness installed. I have reached out to a few different TX attorneys to get some guidance on how/if I can get my money back since I had the car 4 weeks and only 255 miles. It's been at the Ford dealer longer for repair than in my garage to drive.
Sponsored