Sponsored

New 2020 GT has an oil leak

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Any ideas before I take it in to dealer? Only 3600 miles in her.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Any ideas before I take it in to dealer? Only 3600 miles in her.
Your oil filter may have become loose. Seems to be the most common type of oil leak on here.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys I hope thats all it is. Little disheartening to pull out and see a puddle underneath the car.

OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update..jacked the car up today. Got underneath and it definitely looks like it came from the oil filter. Unfortunately since owning BMWs the last 20 years I didn't have the correct oil filter wrench. It did tweak a tad more by hand. I think thats what it was guys thanks.

Dave

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
Update..jacked the car up today. Got underneath and it definitely looks like it came from the oil filter. Unfortunately since owning BMWs the last 20 years I didn't have the correct oil filter wrench. It did tweak a tad more by hand. I think thats what it was guys thanks.

Dave
Having never had a canister style oil filter vehicle, I've never used anything other than my hand to tighten or remove an oil filter I installed. I've also never had a leak. Some people tighten that bad boy down like it's a lug nut!

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Canister filters should be tightened by hand... but I've never been able to remove them by hand... until now. Ha ha. I almost always use my plier-type oil filter wrench, which has never failed me. But in some vehicles, there's not enough space for it. I bought a socket type wrench for the Mustang, but it cannot be used. The good news is I'll be able to use the plier-type if necessary. I'll check the oil filter tightness in another thousand miles, in case engine vibrations are causing it to loosen up, which I hope it's not the case. Maybe on the VooDoo engine, due to its super vibey flat crank, but it shouldn't be the case on the Coyote. We'll see :).

OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Canister filters should be tightened by hand... but I've never been able to remove them by hand... until now. Ha ha. I almost always use my plier-type oil filter wrench, which has never failed me. But in some vehicles, there's not enough space for it. I bought a socket type wrench for the Mustang, but it cannot be used. The good news is I'll be able to use the plier-type if necessary. I'll check the oil filter tightness in another thousand miles, in case engine vibrations are causing it to loosen up, which I hope it's not the case. Maybe on the VooDoo engine, due to its super vibey flat crank, but it shouldn't be the case on the Coyote. We'll see :).

You should be able to use a socket type but you have to open the trap door underneath the car to access it. The plier-type seems difficult to me as there isn't any side access to the filter it seems.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You should be able to use a socket type but you have to open the trap door underneath the car to access it.
Negative. I changed the oil for the first time over the weekend, which obviously required opening that flap :). To my surprise, there's simply no space to use a socket, especially with the longer FL-500S filter (the factory one is shorter, by the way). BUT there's space to use the pliers, if needed... although at a slight angle, and with little rotation, but enough to get the job done. Don't waste your money on a socket, like I did.

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
If you race your car or have issues with loosening oil filters, just get a safety wired filter like K&N or other brands. The GT350 should have this option from the factory considering what they're going though.

OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Negative. I changed the oil for the first time over the weekend, which obviously required opening that flap :). To my surprise, there's simply no space to use a socket, especially with the longer FL-500S filter (the factory one is shorter, by the way). BUT there's space to use the pliers, if needed... although at a slight angle, and with little rotation, but enough to get the job done. Don't waste your money on a socket, like I did.

On jack stands I was able to get a socket with an extension no issues, then again its with the shorter OEM filter.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Not only is a loose oil filter a common issue, but also check the following (which are other common areas of concern):

1) The oil sensor located above and near the oil filter. These are known to be loose from the factory and will leak oil down and around the filter, making it seem the leak is from the filter, when it’s not.

2) Valve cover bolts are loose and allowing oil seepage past the valve cover gasket. There is a TSB our that Ford has to add bolts to the existing valves covers due to the seepage - I had posted it on this site a while back.

Last edited:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
On jack stands I was able to get a socket with an extension no issues, then again its with the shorter OEM filter.
With the shorter factory filter, maybe I could have slipped the socket in there. With the new one and on ramps, didn't try it, but I'm almost positive it wouldn't be possible. I'll still try it at the next oil change, just to see if it's an option on 2018+ cars on ramps. But again, I didn't like the socket fitting so freaking well. It'd be a messy job to remove the damn thing; I had to use a hammer to dislodge it from the new filter when I tested it on my bench. So will use the pliers if needed. And will check the filter every 1K miles, in case something leaks, since I'll wait until 5K miles this time, not 1K.

Also good to know what CobraJet pointed out. Hopefully somebody can post the torque values of those bolts (especially the sensor one), to check for torque when we're under there.
Sponsored