Sponsored

New 2019 Convertible, question about fitment for winter tires

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
For the winter I was just going to get the cheap, steel wheels. I thought I just needed to get the right bolt pattern, but you’re saying I need to also match up the center hole size? I didn’t even know that was an option. Or do the installers typically fit a ring on it if they need to?

Is it worth jumping on OEM 17” wheels if I see them posted on Kijiji or where ever, or am I fine with steel wheels?
You want the weight of the car on the hub, not the studs. If you buy a rim with a larger hole and don’t put a ring in, the studs are carrying the load which is not what they are there for. I’m not aware if you can fit rings to steel wheels, although I doubt it. The Crown Victoria has the same size hub as the Mustang, so the hole matches. Please note that I was only told you can use these, I did not confirm offset or backspacing, since I was going with the Mustang rim. Also, you may be into another set of lug nuts with steel wheels, someone else here would have to pipe in on that. If you can find stock Mustang rims, I would go with those, even if a little more money. I also did it because I plan on keeping it a long time, and the extra $500 over buying steel wheels wasn’t much compared to to rest of the money spent.
Sponsored

mmff88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
My 2019 GT Convertible, non-PP, came with factory 20x9 inch wheels with 265/35R20 factory rubber. My winter tires are 235/50R18 Blizzak WS80's. They were clearing them out at Tire Rack last season. The wheels are 18x8 Moda MD26ADC, also from Tire Rack. The wheels were about the least expensive they carried for a Mustang in that size when I was putting a package together. The taller profile, narrower tire cuts down into the snow to bite much better, although winter tires are, in general, much better suited for cold, snow, ice, etc.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
So my non-PP 18 EB should have 17's with appropriate Blizzaks etc? On Tirerack now and the prices aren't much different between 17/18" wheel packages.
I get the smallest, narrowest wheel that fits, emphasis on narrowest. Clearing the brake caliper is the main concern. TireRack is really good with packages that fit and give the same overall wheel height as your regular wheels/tires. I used Blizzaks for many years. They work great.
Sponsored