Sponsored

New 2019 Convertible, question about fitment for winter tires

Tryinginvain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 EB Convertible
I should be getting the car early next week! My trade is getting some warranty work done and I’m waiting for a part, that’s the only thing holding it up as the car is ready for me to pick it up. Thought it was going to be done Friday but now they are telling me Monday.

It’s a new 2019 Ecoboost Convertible, 6 speed, Shadow Black with the Black Accent Package. I know it’s really early to think about winter tires, but I started looking at them and went down the rabbit hole. Most tire sites say 17, 18 or 19 when I enter 2019 Ecoboost Convertible. But, when I look at the Ford Canada Tire site it has an option for Ecoboost with Black Accent Package and that limits me to 18’s and 19’s. And a guy at the dealer told me their parts dept said only 18’s or 19’s. He gave me a stupid price so I’m not getting them there.

Is this accurate? Why? Are the brakes different with the black pack? I can’t see another reason why I couldn’t put 17’s on it. I’m asking because I found really good sale on some Michelin X-Ice but only the 17’s are available. If they don’t work, I’ll wait a while before getting the winter tires but I’d like to figure out what my options are ahead of time. I’d probably just put them on steelies since I think that’s fine for the winter.
Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Perhaps it thinks it has a performance package that would include larger brakes...thus, 17" tires might not fit over the calipers??

CVCashmere

OP
OP

Tryinginvain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 EB Convertible
All it has is the 101A, Black Accent Package & Active Performance Exhaust.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I always check for winter wheel/tire packages at TireRack.com and buy the smallest wheels that will fit. They know what fits.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I bought the standard 17” sparkle silver rims when I bought the car plus sensors. I shod them with Nokian R3 in the standard size, 235/55-R17. They work great and the sensors just hook up after a few kilometres. No performance package, and if you have the standard brakes you should be able to use a similar combo as well. If you are on a budget, I understand that the 17” rim from a very late Ford Grand Marquis works on the car. I don’t know if you would need a different set of lug nuts for a steel rim. Those rims were available at Costco.ca for around CDN$115 in 2018.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tryinginvain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 EB Convertible
Thanks for the info, Costco is on my short list for tires. And your point about the brakes is exactly what I’m trying to find out. My Ford dealer thought maybe there are different brakes but he wasn’t sure. The Black Accent Package doesn’t mention anything about upgraded brakes so I’m not sure why the Ford Canada Tire site says I need to use the larger wheel sizes.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Well, as far as I know, you only get the larger brakes with the performance package and they are base GT brakes. If you had a PP car, you’d also have the the two extra gauges in the centre of the dash. As far as the dealer goes, I think they must be playing dumb to try to get you into a larger, and more expensive, set of rims.

OP
OP

Tryinginvain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 EB Convertible
Smaller tires are better in the snow (from everything I’ve heard). They can also be a lot cheaper. I could’ve got some MIchellin X-Ice for a really cheap price but they only had 17’s.

I think I’ve accepted I have to get 18’s as a minimum. I was told by an installer it’s due to the offset with my 19’s.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Smaller tires are better in the snow (from everything I’ve heard). They can also be a lot cheaper. I could’ve got some MIchellin X-Ice for a really cheap price but they only had 17’s.

I think I’ve accepted I have to get 18’s as a minimum. I was told by an installer it’s due to the offset with my 19’s.
I don’t understand, what would your summer tire offset have to do with anything? The hubs (and their location relative to the vehicle) are the same regardless of what rim/tire combination are installed. A larger and wider rim has a different offset (potentially) to avoid rubbing of the tire on the bodywork and/or suspension bits. If you do not have a PP car, the standard rim is the 17” with, unless changed from 2018, with a 235/55-R17 tire mounted. My car is a premium package that came with the 18” rim. I have 17” winter rubber in the size mentioned above in my earlier post. If you want to go with 18” rims that is your choice, but I am here to tell you that anyone telling you that you can’t put 17” rims on is either lying or doesn’t know what they are talking about.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Tryinginvain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 EB Convertible
Ok, thanks! What you wrote makes sense. I posted the question here because I don’t have a great understanding of tire fitment. That said, I don’t understand why that installer would say that and the Ford Dealer and the Ford Canada Tire site would all tell me I need at least 18’s? Clearly I need to look into it a bit more. I’ll keep digging.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Ok, thanks! What you wrote makes sense. I posted the question here because I don’t have a great understanding of tire fitment. That said, I don’t understand why that installer would say that and the Ford Dealer and the Ford Canada Tire site would all tell me I need at least 18’s? Clearly I need to look into it a bit more. I’ll keep digging.
I wanted to make this as easy on myself as possible, that is why I went with the Ecoboost standard rim, I knew it would fit. Likewise with the rubber size. I considered going to a taller, skinnier tire but with big snows a rarity in Toronto I figured why give up the dry grip. If you are going with an aftermarket rim, you will have to ensure that the it is hub centric (i.e., the centre hole is the correct size for the hub, if not, you’ll need a ring for the rim to size it to the hub), the bolt pattern and the offset. Try looking at these sites: https://tiresize.com/calculator/
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/ford/mustang/2018/

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Why smallest?
A small wheel maximizes side wall height. Small wheels are generally narrower, too. So, you get a tire that digs into show better and has more sidewall flex for better grip. I got 16" wheels, if I could find them, for other cars I have owned. They squirm a bit on the freeways, but otherwise work very well and give nice ride. They work a hell of lot better than 18" or 19" wheels in anything greater than 2" of snow.

OP
OP

Tryinginvain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 EB Convertible
I wanted to make this as easy on myself as possible, that is why I went with the Ecoboost standard rim, I knew it would fit. Likewise with the rubber size. I considered going to a taller, skinnier tire but with big snows a rarity in Toronto I figured why give up the dry grip. If you are going with an aftermarket rim, you will have to ensure that the it is hub centric (i.e., the centre hole is the correct size for the hub, if not, you’ll need a ring for the rim to size it to the hub), the bolt pattern and the offset. Try looking at these sites: https://tiresize.com/calculator/
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/ford/mustang/2018/
For the winter I was just going to get the cheap, steel wheels. I thought I just needed to get the right bolt pattern, but you’re saying I need to also match up the center hole size? I didn’t even know that was an option. Or do the installers typically fit a ring on it if they need to?

Is it worth jumping on OEM 17” wheels if I see them posted on Kijiji or where ever, or am I fine with steel wheels?

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
So my non-PP 18 EB should have 17's with appropriate Blizzaks etc? On Tirerack now and the prices aren't much different between 17/18" wheel packages.
Sponsored