Sponsored

Never Realized the fastest bolton 6MT was run by a Notable Driver

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Found this: http://www.mustangandfords.com/news...is-manual-transmission-ecoboost-ford-mustang/

Apparently Yo Ken is a NHRA national champ. Anyway, for those with 6MT's it gives some insight into what he did to get there.

I'm tempted to throw on some DR's and run the Xv1 race gas tune from LMS at the strip with MS109...then maybe I could launch without smoking those tires :D But now I'm worried about breaking an axle with DR's lol.
Sponsored

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Stock- 13.64@100 1/4 mile
He is a very cool guy as well. I talked to him regarding his tire/wheel set up to see if running a radial on the GTPP rear rim was safe. And he was nothing BUt helpful. Dude can defintiely drive!

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
Yup, we ran that time like a year and a half ago I believe. He has since gave up on the car because he got bored lol. Also it was far from bolt on, intercooler only lol.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Found this: http://www.mustangandfords.com/news...is-manual-transmission-ecoboost-ford-mustang/

Apparently Yo Ken is a NHRA national champ. Anyway, for those with 6MT's it gives some insight into what he did to get there.

I'm tempted to throw on some DR's and run the Xv1 race gas tune from LMS at the strip with MS109...then maybe I could launch without smoking those tires :D But now I'm worried about breaking an axle with DR's lol.
If you flash the 93-100 Race tune, make sure you do have race gas in it. A guy was running it yesterday and blew his up. He said he was told he could use 93 or 100 octane in it and I guess that wasn't the case. I know you'll be careful, but it's worth letting you know.

Last edited:

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Wow, 305s on the PP GT wheels seems like pushing it.

Sponsored

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Notice he upgraded the intercooler to have multiple runs at the track (stating the stock one was good for a single run). Supports a lot of people's statements on these boards that daily drivers that just like to stomp it every once in a while aren't necessarily the best candidate for intercooler upgrades.

Not knocking IC upgrades at ALL...please don't sic the dogs on me.

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
Notice he upgraded the intercooler to have multiple runs at the track (stating the stock one was good for a single run). Supports a lot of people's statements on these boards that daily drivers that just like to stomp it every once in a while aren't necessarily the best candidate for intercooler upgrades.

Well that is subjective, the people that like to romp on it from time to time if they want the most power out of their vehicle they should have an intercooler. I use the factory compensations for charge air temp as it relates to timing. I modify them very slightly to pull some of the timing drop out of it but I still utilize it to keep everything in check. The power difference even with a stock tune with an intercooler is substantial.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP

No one says that the stock isn't adequate for daily driving. Is it a huge pile of crap? Yes. Will it heat soak after one hit? Yes. Does it have to be replaced if you drive like a granny most of the time and only throttle it aggressively coming up an on-ramp? Not necessarily.

The thing is, it's always recommended when people are seeking solid, reliable, and most importantly, consistent power. If people are modding to increase performance, then it's necessary to upgrade the intercooler. No one likes a one-and-done, and it makes sense to do it then.

If someone just wants to run aggressively up an on-ramp or for 150' between traffic lights, then it'll be okay. You aren't going to blow one up because of it, but it's just that power will be significantly reduced — which is going to kill that fun you'd want to have.

Can you run the factory unit while tuned? Yep, but again, it kind of defeats the purpose of trying to increase performance when you're running a part that's going to cripple that extra performance after a very few thousand rpms.

That's the point people are trying to make, whether that's always clear to be the reasoning or not. It seems that most people think of it as something unnecessary because it doesn't list adding XX amount of horsepower, but it's a supporting mod. Supporting mods, for those seeking increased performance, are critical to the health and longevity of an engine.

There's no hate from any of us. We're all just trying to help everyone out.

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Well that is subjective, the people that like to romp on it from time to time if they want the most power out of their vehicle they should have an intercooler.
Absolutely agree, was not knocking it in those cases.

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you flash the 93-100 Race tune, make sure you do have race gas in it. A guy was running it yesterday and blew his up. He said he was told he could use 93 or 100 octane in it and I guess that wasn't the case. I know you'll be careful, but it's worth letting you know.
Hence why I said MS109 fuel...Xv1 is a race gas tune first and fore most. They told me I could run 93 in it as well but would get reduced power and I could not run full cargo weight (aka passengers), it's not a daily driving tune but intended for peak performance under track conditions.

LMS didn't necessary blow up an EB engine because they didn't know what they are doing, but I would fault them for saying it's 93 safe because clearly it's not! I'm not aware of any failed EB's running their Xv1 who are actually using 100 octane, if there are any please let me know.

And Yo Ken ran a 12.7 on his Tune+ 93 octane tune using just DR's and an IC. He ran a 13.3 on just the tune and IC without DR's. Those DR's made 12's possible. I think a good set of extreme performance summer tires can get me into the 12's. We know the car can do 12's on stock tires, but it's rare, especially with manuals, I've seen one. Interestingly that's about what times we would see from auto's with those same modifications...with stick it comes down to two factors that matter the most, driver and tires. Power isn't any good if you cant put it to use.

It would be nice if LMS could comment on this "blown up" Xv1 tuned engine, in fact if they value their reputation they better figure out why. BTW, does anyone have any info on this occurrence? Can't find anything via google or this forum.

Sponsored

Bennington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot ecoboost
Hence why I said MS109 fuel...Xv1 is a race gas tune first and fore most. They told me I could run 93 in it as well but would get reduced power and I could not run full cargo weight (aka passengers), it's not a daily driving tune but intended for peak performance under track conditions.

LMS didn't necessary blow up an EB engine because they didn't know what they are doing, but I would fault them for saying it's 93 safe because clearly it's not! I'm not aware of any failed EB's running their Xv1 who are actually using 100 octane, if there are any please let me know.

And Yo Ken ran a 12.7 on his Tune+ 93 octane tune using just DR's and an IC. He ran a 13.3 on just the tune and IC without DR's. Those DR's made 12's possible. I think a good set of extreme performance summer tires can get me into the 12's. We know the car can do 12's on stock tires, but it's rare, especially with manuals, I've seen one. Interestingly that's about what times we would see from auto's with those same modifications...with stick it comes down to two factors that matter the most, driver and tires. Power isn't any good if you cant put it to use.

It would be nice if LMS could comment on this "blown up" Xv1 tuned engine, in fact if they value their reputation they better figure out why. BTW, does anyone have any info on this occurrence? Can't find anything via google or this forum.
If you are so dead set on running a 12, why don't you just buy a set of drag radials. What's with the obsession with street tires? If you shop around you can get a new set of Mickey Thompson's and a cheap set of old Mustang rims for about $600. Cheaper than some of the other options you're tossing around.

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I could ask the same question, what's the obsession with going fast at all? It accomplishes nothing but your personal enjoyment as 99% of us don't make a living off it.

I have a goal and I'm trying to see what I can do to meet that goal. Sure, I could throw on some DR's / Rims just in the rear and run a 12, but I want to see if can do it on street tires I can drive on the road regularly during the summer (and autocross with), because it's fun and not many people have done it successfully, especially with manual EB's...

I like accomplishing things people tell me I can't or is too difficult. I like to find a way when others don't see one, that's why I went into Electrical Engineering for a career, because I like problem solving. It's a problem and I'm trying to find a way to solve it simply because I like to :-)

Bennington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot ecoboost
I could ask the same question, what's the obsession with going fast at all? It accomplishes nothing but your personal enjoyment as 99% of us don't make a living off it.

I have a goal and I'm trying to see what I can do to meet that goal. Sure, I could throw on some DR's / Rims just in the rear and run a 12, but I want to see if can do it on street tires I can drive on the road regularly during the summer (and autocross with), because it's fun and not many people have done it successfully, especially with manual EB's...

I like accomplishing things people tell me I can't or is too difficult. I like to find a way when others don't see one, that's why I went into Electrical Engineering for a career, because I like problem solving. It's a problem and I'm trying to find a way to solve it simply because I like to :-)
Fair enough, but if you're looking into specialty tires and adding traction compound to add grip you're just doing what a drag radial does in the first place. When you're driving the streets without the magical tire softener you're in the same situation as having no dr's.

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fair enough, but if you're looking into specialty tires and adding traction compound to add grip you're just doing what a drag radial does in the first place. When you're driving the streets without the magical tire softener you're in the same situation as having no dr's.
That's fine, because I can just use the tire softener when at the track, which is where I care about extreme traction. It doesn't take long to apply. It's a goal of making a street drive able car one that can "transform" into a decent track car that's fun to drive without spending loads of cash on it or swapping out tires every time. Although buying a set of DR's just for the rear isn't a bad idea, but it's far from unique. Not many street cars (at least 2wd ones) run 12's without buying exotic tires etc. But if a good set of high performance summer tires and traction compound get me there now I've met my goal and in a somewhat unique way. I'm sure I"m not the only one, but I do have a taste for the less traveled roads.

But what's of more interest to me now is this purportedly energetically disassembled EB using the Xv1...yet we have no name, no photos, data, track, conditions or even any real information other than here say and rumor. If it's true I'd like to know as I will stay away from the Xv1 until they figure out why. LMS may have a stellar track record, but they are not infallible, nor are any of the "magical" shop tuners, all of which have blown up engines at some point. Not sure why there's so much animosity toward LMS...seems to only be here. I don't see them as any different than Ford Racing or any other reputable programmers. But anyway, I would like to know the details, if anyone has any please do provide them, not rumors, but verifiable details, photos, direct first hand accounts etc.

It is notable that LMS will provide a race only version of the Xv1 that CANNOT be used with pump gas upon request...it is a track and race gas only variant even though it has the same designation. Is it possible this gentlemen requested the race gas only variant of the Xv1 but thought he could still run pump gas? Cause I still can't find any documented cases of LMS failures on mustang EB's, SHO's, F150's or Fiesta ST's...only two one liner unsubstantiated rumors on two focus ST's, which were one line references to a "friend's ST blew, I THINK it has LMS tune"...I don't have an issue if they've failed client cars (would be a very small fraction of a percent), but I would if they claim they haven't but have, which is why I'm asking for the oh so dirty details of this rumor.

Last edited:

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
That's fine, because I can just use the tire softener when at the track, which is where I care about extreme traction. It doesn't take long to apply. It's a goal of making a street drive able car one that can "transform" into a decent track car that's fun to drive without spending loads of cash on it.

It's a lot easier to throw some compound on in a can a couple times a year I go to the track than to swap out tires since I don't have a lift (which is doable but inconvenient). Isn't that why many of bought EB's in the first place, because it's "fast, fun and affordable" where the V8 is fast and fun but not so much affordable (both in initial cost at 7k more and in gas mileage)? If it's a weekend toy I see no reason to buy an EB over a V8, some of the V8's are hitting low elevens without going FI (I think on race gas)....
My EBM was more exspensive than the GT.... Lol, so no for me!
Sponsored