OP
OP
First Stang

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
I really appreciate all the input. Im gonna have use a notepad to jot down all the fine points recommended here. For now this is my first week priority list (budget allowing):

1. Spare Tire
2. Floor mats
3. Mud guards
4. Window tint
5. Some sort of paint protection
7. Uniden R8/Valentine

please PM me suggestions on any of the above. I wont spend on anything powertrain related yet since I still have a break in period anyway. Budget is also tight in lieu of the holidays.
Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I really appreciate all the input. Im gonna have use a notepad to jot down all the fine points recommended here. For now this is my first week priority list (budget allowing):

1. Spare Tire
2. Floor mats
3. Mud guards
4. Window tint
5. Some sort of paint protection
7. Uniden R8/Valentine

please PM me suggestions on any of the above. I wont spend on anything powertrain related yet since I still have a break in period anyway. Budget is also tight in lieu of the holidays.
nice list I recommend a few more.

1) design lab mustang radiator plate
2) design lab interior cup holder inserts

https://designlab304.com/collections/all/mach-1

3) jacking rails
And few others below I bought, but skip the JLT plastic tank I didnā€™t install that

4AF4C49B-7661-4A5B-94B4-7DAE50EAC0CD.png
0C3B7C58-819E-447B-8CB9-856E6952AD82.png

W0rkH0rse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 2017 Explorer Platinum
an HP, the fender lips ship separate; they are often waiting in the Parts Department in a box with your VIN on it. But sometimes there are shortages and delays. You might not see the lips for weeks
Strongly agree with this one. Mine came in separately. I was also missing one of the rear fender flares. The front fender flares were easy and came in about a month later. The missing rear fender piece was trickier b/c the parts department was being lazy. They tried to tell me those were not part of the package (they are) or that the car was designed to only have it on one side. I gave them the part number (thank you Mustang 6G forum for helping).
Make sure all part are on the vehicle. If any are missing, make sure they document it and follow up with your salesperson regularly.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
Welcome and Congrats.

I'd focus on a few things, if you have not done so already:

- When picking up the car, it's often best to get it out of the dealer's hands as quickly as possible. The dealer will have prep work and check out. That's cool. Otherwise, ask them to leave it as-is, no matter how filthy. Ask them NOT to wash or detail the car

-- Tow hook, front license plate mount, using the factory receiver
Anyone that's ordered from Granger, did they do the initial cleaning for you and if so, did they do a good job? When the dealer isn't local it's tough to decide how much to let them do.

Also, doesn't the Mach 1 come with a tow hook?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
doesn't the Mach 1 come with a tow hook?
Yes and no.

The Mach 1 has a receiver for a hook in the unibody of the car, on the passenger side. A small access panel can be removed and the receiver is right there.

As part of the Owner's Kit (often received months after getting the car, US orders only), you will receive a tow hook from Ford; it's very plain. You will not receive a tow hook with the car itself, when the car is received from the dealer.

I ordered hook from ZL1 add-ons. Simply screw the unit in. Red or black. ZL1 also sells one which is unfinished, so you can take it somewhere and get it powdercoated in the color you like.

Companies sell license plate bracket mounts to be used with the receiver. It's a nice look, having the bracket and plate on the passenger side, out of the way, not blocking airflow in the front.

The hook which came with the Kit, I left it in the original package (boxed and in the basement).

Last edited:

Sponsored

DRAGOON

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
21 VB mach1 HP 6SP
The hook which came with the Kit, I left it in the original package (boxed and in the basement).
There is a spot for the factory tow hook in the spare tire well in the trunk below the inflator. The foam block has a cut out for it. Thatā€™s where I keep mine but use the Mach1 ZL1 stealth tow hook in black bolted in the receiver mount.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes and no.

The Mach 1 has a receiver for a hook in the unibody of the car, on the passenger side. A small access panel can be removed and the receiver is right there.

As part of the Owner's Kit (often received months after getting the car, US orders only), you will receive a tow hook from Ford; it's very plain. You will not receive a tow hook with the car itself, when the car is received from the dealer.

I ordered hook from ZL1 add-ons. Simply screw the unit in. Red or black. ZL1 also sells one which is unfinished, so you can take it somewhere and get it powdercoated in the color you like.

Companies sell license plate bracket mounts to be used with the receiver. It's a nice look, having the bracket and plate on the passenger side, out of the way, not blocking airflow in the front.

I still have front and rear ZL1 tow hooks that I never installed on my 19 PP2. I'm guessing they aren't threaded the same though. Guess I'll have to sell them...at least the front one in case I decide I want one installed in the rear. I would probably do the same as you and keep the original in the owners kit.

I don't run a front plate on my Mustangs so I won't need that. Maybe I'll add a camera mount though.

There is a spot for the factory tow hook in the spare tire well in the trunk below the inflator. The foam block has a cut out for it. Thatā€™s where I keep mine but use the Mach1 ZL1 stealth tow hook in black bolted in the receiver mount.
I thought I had read that some people found their tow hook there when they got the car. Oh well, I'll probably keep the original in the owners kit like @Skye and put ZL1 in the trunk so it's there when I go to the track.

What's the difference between regular and Stealth? The description didn't say much except for the material the actual ring was made out of. Did you guys drill a hold through the cover or just pop the cover when you use it? I will probably just pop the cover but I wonder if that will wear out over time.

DRAGOON

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
21 VB mach1 HP 6SP
ZL1 tow hook with the plain black cover. I think it looks ok & going to leave it as is. I added a plastic black collar to the drilled hole to finish it off.
that is the factory cover - MR3Z 17E811 A - and it only comes black, unpainted. No color match from Ford ? I installed the ZL1 main shaft with the LH threads, took some exact measurements & drilled the 1/2ā€ hole with a step bit. I later opened the hole to 9/16ā€ to accommodate a sleeve to give it a finished look. Used blue loctite to assemble the hook eye with jam nut. Iā€™m keeping my OG blue cover unmolested. Only wanky issue is ZL1 uses a RH thread for tow eye/jam nut making it a cumbersome procedure to tighten it all up. If they would have used a LH thread, it would be l straight forward. Hope this helps.
A63C1231-C47B-4576-BDB5-22A03DEC2688.jpeg

C3028FDA-1839-40D5-92F8-D704AFB92B46.jpeg
I posted this awhile ago. ^^^^^^^^
I still have front and rear ZL1 tow hooks that I never installed on my 19 PP2. I'm guessing they aren't threaded the same though. Guess I'll have to sell them...at least the front one in case I decide I want one installed in the rear. I would probably do the same as you and keep the original in the owners kit.

I don't run a front plate on my Mustangs so I won't need that. Maybe I'll add a camera mount though.

I thought I had read that some people found their tow hook there when they got the car. Oh well, I'll probably keep the original in the owners kit like @Skye and put ZL1 in the trunk so it's there when I go to the track.

What's the difference between regular and Stealth? The description didn't say much except for the material the actual ring was made out of. Did you guys drill a hold through the cover or just pop the cover when you use it? I will probably just pop the cover but I wonder if that will wear out over time.
As much as I could see, the regular is a forged tow hook D ring only in red, black or unpainted and the stealth is a billet aluminum and powder coated D-ring available in lots of colors.

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Did you guys drill a hold through the cover or just pop the cover when you use it?
While the access cover for the receiver has tabs to leave hanging, I gently used a screwdriver and removed mine; it sits in the basement. The rod from ZL1 screwed directly into the front receiver. I leave the hook attached all the time.

I was concerned of the tow hook rubbing against the body. I had several types of "bumpers" for cabinets and stuff. I took a black, soft one and placed it on the back of the hook; you can't see it and if the hook smacks the panel, no harm done.

I have a plate mount but have never used it. I roll with the front license plate on the floor, with the story prepped that, "Oh, uh, I just came from the track and forgot my plate mount." :bandit:

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@DRAGOON that is pretty slick. My brain is tying to do some work stuff right now so I'm not following it all but maybe I can figure it out later so I can copy that. If you have any pictures of the work in progress and/or other specifics please send me a direct message. I don't want to completely hijack this thread. I do wonder if they could custom build a tow hook with different thread (since they have a custom order option).

@Skye I would love to see pics of your setup as well if you wanted to send me a DM as well.

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I would love to see pics of your setup
As requested.

Edit, 22 Aug 22: The last photo in this post highlights the bracket assembly for the plate, how a tang in the back is welded to the plate in the front. The tow hook shaft screws into the receiver and the plate assembly screws onto the shaft.

When I received my license plate assembly, the tang in the back was mis-aligned with the plate in the front. The hole in the front did not line up true with the tang in the back. I've since confirmed from another member his was received same.

I take it that two of us receiving same it is something in ZL1's manufacturing process. ZL1 does have a warranty policy: https://zl1addons.com/pages/product-warranty

I massaged mine, bending the tang in the back of the plate until things lined up better with the hole in the front.

Option 1: open a ticket with ZL1 for a return/replacement.

Option 2: massage yours like I did, knowing you're voiding the warranty for the plate bracket.

I'll be sending ZL1 and e-mail as a follow-up.

The tow hook shaft and hook end were received and installed without issue.

-----------------------Original Post Follows-----------------------------

For those of you weighing license plate options for your M1, if you have an HP in-particular, attached are some photos of Skye.

I purchased a complete tow hook assembly from ZL1 Addons; this included a shaft for screwing into the receiver and the hook itself. The hooks can be bought in black, red or no color, if you want to locally power coat a custom color.

I also purchased a plate assembly only, for the tag..

From the photos, I can readily switch from plate to hook and back in moments. It's in a nice place, not blocking anything.

skye zl1 001.jpg

skye zl1 002.jpg

skye zl1 003.jpg

skye zl1 004.jpg

skye zl1 005.jpg

jamus34

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mach 1 (on order)
I had a garage full of parts before I picked mine up. Somehow, I'm still married.
My wife stated "as long as your mid-life crisis involves a new car and not a new woman, go for it"

I can deal with that, I have a house mostly full of females; more than enough crazy for me.