kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
So I am new to mustangs after being away for 20 years. I am also not an expert on tires I dont even fully understand the numbering. So I have to rely on good folks like you all here.

SOOO. I switched ut my OEM wheels for my buddies PP1 wheels. But tires were just exspensive and I was gonna store them. well you know how car stuff goes, they are one the car LOL. Well to get them on the car but not have to drop another 1 plusk on tires he had some he included so we could get them mounted.

So on back there are the 275/40R19 101W Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires
and on the front are 245/35R19 Toyo Proxies S4 plus
we went out and did some "spirited driving" and when we returned and checked Gauges and numbers at some point (not sure as I take corners hard :) weeee. I hit a 1.79 lateral G with this set up. Its a good set up never broke traction not once.

My issue.... look at that gap (pics below) on the front.... it looks like i have a spare tire on the front LOL. I like the back it looks great.

So Tire gods. What can I replace the front with that will still give that level of performance and have more meat to fill the tire well so it looks better? IM not looking for super expensive tires and I will even buy used if less than 1k and super reasonable price. I just need to know what to look for. Thanks all.
20190907_161732.jpg
20190908_114325.jpg

Hmmm, if “you” are happy with how your tires grip, and it sounds as if you are, don’t change them. Nothing wrong with 35 aspect tires, very little flex and you know exactly where the limit is. Most wouldn’t do a 35 because the ride is harsher, I run 35’s on the front of my SVO and have for 3yrs, no issue.
From reading your post your main issue is “gap”, you can try fixing it with 40’s or 45’s but you probably won’t like the different handling, don’t know. The best way to fix your gap (and get even better handling) would be to install adjustable coil overs, most adjust from 1-4 inches.
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
1.02gs is still fucking amazing...
I got 1.09 with 1 inch spacers on the front with pp1 rear wheels and tires on the front and sticky 315s on the back. 2nd try too. I tried with the stock pp1 setup on the same flat turn 20 times, and couldnt break 1g, then put 1inch spacers on the front with 315s on the back and got 1.03 g, then put the pp1 rears on the front with 315s on the rear and got 1.09. I made a video about it. My point is that 1.79g isnt even close to possible with his setup on a flat turn lol. Had 1.11g with my 09 cts-v with stickier tires on that same turn. Even with the 275s on the front I think my problem was still understeer on the front preventing more G's but I havent tried stickier tires yet on the front but never lose rear traction. These 1.7+ G readings are pure BS from donuts while all 4 wheels are catching grip after sliding sideways.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
1.79g was probably from doing a donut or something years ago lol
Seriously we were both amazed me and my buddy both. But hand to god its what the g force thingy said. Yes I said thingy. I finally hit my 1000 break in and I was giving it hell. It is mountain roads around here they are banked faily well. Guess I just hit one just right.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Your issue isnt with the tires you need lowering springs. You can get the X springs ford makes for our cars these are the standard springs on the performance pack cars and they call them the "street" handling springs. They are designed to work with your factory shocks.

They will lower the ride height by 1 in and still give you about a 0.25" clearance over parking lot humps and speed bumps. Anything lower than that you will need to replace the shocks as well with shocks with a shorter stroke. Or you Will overheat the oil, bottom out the shocks and blow out seals in less than a year...

You do not want to run more than the factory wheel diameter. Do not go to 20" rims or run any tire lower than the factory 40 profile tire.

Changing to a 45 profile or 50 profile tire will make the car less responsive in corners and throw off your Speedo.

So yeah dont change tires lower the car
Car came with p265/35r20s so ... not following you. Sorry all this tire stuff gives me a headache. I need a community college class on tires I think. :)

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
So all the people talking about my g meter. So all I know is we were doing back roads in the country. Not doing donuts or anything we were straight up driving. These are very well banked back roads in the mountains. IM fairly fearless in a car and Ill book in a turn. usually slingshotting out of a good curve. I have no idea if my meter is wrong or what but hand to god it said 1.79 lateral g. My buddy even had to come see for himself. could be wrong Im not arguing with anyone. But I know my driving style is pretty much if your a passenger ill throw ya to other side of car in a corner LOL. I gonna test it again one day here soon on same road. this time ill remember to get a pic before I reset. but any who my main question is about the tires... so i need to go to a 245/40r19 on the front to get a fatter side wall but keep everything else same? this will take care of the small looking size of the tire?

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
So all the people talking about my g meter. So all I know is we were doing back roads in the country. Not doing donuts or anything we were straight up driving. These are very well banked back roads in the mountains. IM fairly fearless in a car and Ill book in a turn. usually slingshotting out of a good curve. I have no idea if my meter is wrong or what but hand to god it said 1.79 lateral g. My buddy even had to come see for himself. could be wrong Im not arguing with anyone. But I know my driving style is pretty much if your a passenger ill throw ya to other side of car in a corner LOL. I gonna test it again one day here soon on same road. this time ill remember to get a pic before I reset. but any who my main question is about the tires... so i need to go to a 245/40r19 on the front to get a fatter side wall but keep everything else same? this will take care of the small looking size of the tire?
No one is questioning what the gauge said or what you saw. All we are saying is that no street car can generate those kind of numbers, period.
As to your tire question, yes just put a pair of 40 series tires on the front. Problem solved. :like:

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I got 1.09 with 1 inch spacers on the front with pp1 rear wheels and tires on the front and sticky 315s on the back. 2nd try too. I tried with the stock pp1 setup on the same flat turn 20 times, and couldnt break 1g, then put 1inch spacers on the front with 315s on the back and got 1.03 g, then put the pp1 rears on the front with 315s on the rear and got 1.09. I made a video about it. My point is that 1.79g isnt even close to possible with his setup on a flat turn lol. Had 1.11g with my 09 cts-v with stickier tires on that same turn. Even with the 275s on the front I think my problem was still understeer on the front preventing more G's but I havent tried stickier tires yet on the front but never lose rear traction. These 1.7+ G readings are pure BS from donuts while all 4 wheels are catching grip after sliding sideways.

But I was not doing donuts I was on a road driving. I was in no way spinning tires. And it was not a flat surface these are well banked roads. Again this isn't what this post is about and I wasn't bragging so to speak, I was about the tires but not the Gs. I was just saying I was happy with the tires other than size. Maybe the meter is wrong I dont know. but im not trying to fool anyone or make a story up as the Gs was not the point of this post. I think people are focusing on the wrong thing here i just want advice on the tires not to debate my g meter reading.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
No one is questioning what the gauge said or what you saw. All we are saying is that no street car can generate those kind of numbers, period.
As to your tire question, yes just put a pair of 40 series tires on the front. Problem solved. :like:
Ok sorry I just sorta felt like everyone was focusing on the wrong thing and was attacking me like I was a liar or something. There are about what 20 replies now and no one has simply said yes get this tire size X whatever tire. thats all Im looking for. some says yeah get a 40.. ok what about the other numbers? still use the 245? or should I go to something else on these PP1 wheels? Im sorta looking for a complete answer is one brand better? so if i go to a 245/40r19 that good? ok so what's a good brand in that size? or should I go to a 265/ if I do what's that mean? i don't know. is that wider smaller? IM getting a lot of half answers here and its even more confusing than when I started LOL.. im so lost. I'M sorta looking for a straight up solid answer on tire size and brand so I know where to start.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Hmmm, if “you” are happy with how your tires grip, and it sounds as if you are, don’t change them. Nothing wrong with 35 aspect tires, very little flex and you know exactly where the limit is. Most wouldn’t do a 35 because the ride is harsher, I run 35’s on the front of my SVO and have for 3yrs, no issue.
From reading your post your main issue is “gap”, you can try fixing it with 40’s or 45’s but you probably won’t like the different handling, don’t know. The best way to fix your gap (and get even better handling) would be to install adjustable coil overs, most adjust from 1-4 inches.
I am such a noob when it comes to tires and Im trying to learn. so Iknow the smaller the sidewall the less it flexes and the better it handles in turns correct? so the performance im happy with now is due to the smaller side wall on the front? and by going to a larger wheel to adjust the visual would take away from my cornering correct?

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Premium GTPP w/ Recaros
"245" is the tread width, bigger is more tire on the ground. On the PP1 front rims a 255 is a good fit, any bigger will bulge and not actually get you more traction.

"35" is the profile, or the width of the tire around the rim. Your front tire appears smaller than the rear from the side because the profile is smaller.

There are many options for what you can put on that rim, and everyone will have their own opinion. Generally, 255/40R19 is the best overall fit for a balanced look and traction.

As for what kind of tires... there is a ton of discussion in the wheels and tires section and everybody has their own opinions. I personally prefer the Michelin 4S as they are undeniably the best street tire out there, but they are pricey. Conti Sports are almost as good and a bit cheaper, and Firestone Indy 500s are supposed to be pretty good and much cheaper. Pick your poison.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Ok, let's try this again. #1. let's forget the g-meter. Done. #2. Tires. You have the standard size tire in the rear for your car 275/40R19. Since they look to be in good shape I presume you would want to keep them. If so just get the standard front tire for your PP1 wheels 255/40R19. This will eliminate the gap issue and keep the balanced ride you want from you car. Remember you may have PP1 wheels but you do not have the rest of the package and the suspension upgrades that come with it. The Firehawks in 255/40R19 are $194.01 on Tirerack, a good deal. Of course if you want to spend the big dollars, go Michelin PS4S's These will set you back $1220.00 for a set of 4.

One other thing, as a newbie, and we have all been there, take a pass on all of the tire geometry stuff until you are able to learn more about tires and suspension. You are not going to get an education on a forum.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
"245" is the tread width, bigger is more tire on the ground. On the PP1 front rims a 255 is a good fit, any bigger will bulge and not actually get you more traction.

"35" is the profile, or the width of the tire around the rim. Your front tire appears smaller than the rear from the side because the profile is smaller.

There are many options for what you can put on that rim, and everyone will have their own opinion. Generally, 255/40R19 is the best overall fit for a balanced look and traction.

As for what kind of tires... there is a ton of discussion in the wheels and tires section and everybody has their own opinions. I personally prefer the Michelin 4S as they are undeniably the best street tire out there, but they are pricey. Conti Sports are almost as good and a bit cheaper, and Firestone Indy 500s are supposed to be pretty good and much cheaper. Pick your poison.
Awesome this is what Im looking for. Thanks sometimes I need it drawn out in crayon. ok so the tire i have now is ok but its both (matter of opinion) to small a sidewall needs to go from 35 to 40. and the width is too small im at 245 and a 255 would give me more contact patch? ok I think im getting it. sounds like what you are suggesting may work. I'll start there. so if you go up on side wall should you always go wider on width to compinsate for flex? i guess what Im asking is if you loose performance do to flex with a higher sidewall then you can gain some back by widening the contact with a wider tire? or am I completely wrong here?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)

+1, you beat me to it. Understandably very confusing for someone who hasn't done this before. :rockon:

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Ok, let's try this again. #1. let's forget the g-meter. Done. #2. Tires. You have the standard size tire in the rear for your car 275/40R19. Since they look to be in good shape I presume you would want to keep them. If so just get the standard front tire for your PP1 wheels 255/40R19. This will eliminate the gap issue and keep the balanced ride you want from you car. Remember you may have PP1 wheels but you do not have the rest of the package and the suspension upgrades that come with it. The Firehawks in 255/40R19 are $194.01 on Tirerack, a good deal. Of course if you want to spend the big dollars, go Michelin PS4S's These will set you back $1220.00 for a set of 4.

One other thing, as a newbie, and we have all been there, take a pass on all of the tire geometry stuff until you are able to learn more about tires and suspension. You are not going to get an education on a forum.
Thank you sir. sorry if i came across defensive. I just came from another car forum where the people were lets say less than helpful or friendly. so I guess i took some of the comments as here we go again. Thank you for your input that is most helpful.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
The factory tire for that rim is 255/40/19
255mm wide with a 102mm thick sidewall (255mm X 0.4).

The tire you have now is 245mm X 0.35 so the sidewall is 86mm thick.

This means you've increased the wheel gap by 0.67in.

Also, since performance pack rims have different tires mounted the front and rear, the wheel gaps appear different due to the sidewall being 102mm in the front and 110mm in the rear.

You need the factory tire size for it to look more correct. Just changing to a 40 series tire isn't enough.
Sponsored