Sponsored

Need sway bar info/suggestions

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
I'm looking forward to getting some sway bars, specially the rear that I think needs them. My current setup is GT350R front springs, SP085, and FR track dampers.

The car oversteers a lot with the stock base GT setup, now it doesn't do it. I haven't been able to break traction with it, but I only had it for week and a half.

As far as body roll, I'm feeling that rear needs stiffer sways, now that the rear is stiffened up, I can feel that the rear sways are way behind the fronts (no pun intended). I also know that from factory they are "tuned" to understeer, which leads to the stock rear bars being significantly softer than the rear.

The thing about this topic is, there's barely any info out there about specific sway bars (with the exception of AFE and Whiteline, that have posted their numbers). How do I know which brand/model is best for my setup?

For instance, Steeda offers their regular one and the drag one, what is the difference (apart from how they look)? Is one better than the other for my application?

So far, I'm leaning towards AFE, they are thicker and the rates are published. Also, I'm looking at the BMR (just because I like their products and have several parts already), but they are thinner and the issue of the bushings getting messed up worries me. The AFE doesn't have any reviews at all, so really I have nothing.

Logic would say that for a more balanced drive, the rears should be thicker (AFE)...but that also depends on spring rates and drop, I think.

Anyone have any info and suggestions for a particular sway bar? comparisons? which ones not to buy? best/worst?

If the prices are right, I might change out the fronts too...
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
BMR and Eibach also have good bars.

SK GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT(sold), 17 1LE
Ford racing has theirs too and are a bit cheaper than the big boys.

Can't go wrong with BMR though. I would talk with Kelly about your current setup and needs.

OP
OP

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
I say get the BMR bars and end links.
Does one really need to upgrade the end links? How much abuse can the stock one handle?

My first choice was BMR, been satisfied with every product I've bought so far, then I searched the forum for reviews...they were several threads about red poly bushings failing. Is this a concern?

Perhaps Kelly could chime in on this topic. I know he posted a while ago about Delrin bushings, are these standard or do I have to special order them? Do they solve the red poly bushing failure issue?

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Does one really need to upgrade the end links? How much abuse can the stock one handle?

My first choice was BMR, been satisfied with every product I've bought so far, then I searched the forum for reviews...they were several threads about red poly bushings failing. Is this a concern?

Perhaps Kelly could chime in on this topic. I know he posted a while ago about Delrin bushings, are these standard or do I have to special order them? Do they solve the red poly bushing failure issue?
I didn't get the end links. But the BMR sway bars by themselves made a noticeable difference and I don't experience any body roll now. But I have heard about how weak the stock links are and with sturdier bars and especially if you drive aggressively, I could see how they might become a problem. I haven't had a problem yet. But I think as long as you're doing it - you'll get more effective sway bar rate and you won't have to worry about the end links being weak down the road.

But all that is just my speculation so I don't really know. Kelly would be able to tell you.

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
I haven't replaced my st ok links yet due to cost but the fronts are bent with the stock sway bad FYI so it's a good idea to get better ones.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Different setup that what you're running I'm not lowered just the steeds IRS supports and diff bushings, braces, but I added the Steeda drag bar on the rear and it made a world of difference in the handling right to where I wanted it to be.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Hello Rebellion,

Our standard rear swaybar is up to 2.4 times stiffer than stock bar.

Our drag bar is 3 times stiffer than stock.

So our drag bar is 60% stiffer than our standard bar compared to the stock rate.

As Vinnay has mentioned, it is a great piece & would love to get you running the Steeda bar!

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-drag-race-rear-sway-bar-2015-2016-gt-ecoboost-v6-555-1018/

You can reach me at [email protected].

Best Regards,

TJ
No need for end links on a DD or occasional track duty car. Get the Steeda bars and billet sway bar mounts and never look back. Lifetime guarantee, too.

Sponsored

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
No need for end links on a DD or occasional track duty car. Get the Steeda bars and billet sway bar mounts and never look back. Lifetime guarantee, too.
My stockers were bent with the stock bar.

I wouldn't get them initially, but I would certainly purchase Sway Bars knowing that it COULD be a needed expense should they bend.

PS I went with the Eibach bars are have been happy. Endlinks I'd suggest BMR, but was happy with the Cortex customer service.

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
We here sell quite a few Eibach sway bars, please let me know if you need help tracking these down as they seem to be one of the more popular options.

Mo

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Steeda bars ends are not coined tubing and offer 4 adjustment points in the front bars. I am very happy with mine. Personally, I would be okay with BMR's offering, as well. Someone out there makes a solid rear sway bar replacement that is the same diameter as the stock hollow bar which is said to be a nice budget improvement.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
My stockers were bent with the stock bar.

I wouldn't get them initially, but I would certainly purchase Sway Bars knowing that it COULD be a needed expense should they bend.

PS I went with the Eibach bars are have been happy. Endlinks I'd suggest BMR, but was happy with the Cortex customer service.
Interesting. You bent the end links while tracking the car in 100% stock configuration? Or did you have different springs, dampers and tires?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda bars ends are not coined tubing and offer 4 adjustment points in the front bars. I am very happy with mine. Personally, I would be okay with BMR's offering, as well. Someone out there makes a solid rear sway bar replacement that is the same diameter as the stock hollow bar which is said to be a nice budget improvement.
That's the Strano bar.
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=1289&CategoryID=296&ModelID=40

I'd like to know the weight difference between the Steeda & BMR bars vs. the Strano bars, as well as a brief stiffness calc. Since the stiffness is a function of the diameter^4, the 25 mm hollow bar should be stiffer than a 22 mm solid, though by how much I'm not quite sure.
Sponsored