Sponsored

Need mechanical and spiritual advice.

RouteAbel

2015 GT PP, Magnetic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, Magnetic
June 2015 I bought my dream car. First new car purchase of my life, a Magnetic 2015 GT premium 5.0 with performance pack and Recaro seats. Basically every option shy of convertible.

In January 2017 in a torrential downpour, and 50 degrees or so my car broke loose and I hydroplaned. I spun nearly 180 and impacted a highway barrier at an estimated 35-40mph. I hit first in the drivers side rear quarter-panel/rear wheel area, that impact caused the front end to snap around and impact the barrier. I was able to limp it off the highway and call a wrecker. Blown rear tire, damage to front tire. Front and rear fender on driver side damaged but amazingly because of fender flare no damage to door.

Body shop came back with an estimate of around $12K, including a rebuild of rear differential with ford. They sent it out, had it rebuilt and then proceeded with repair. Apparently they had never opened the fender to see the damage behind the outside. They called on Friday and now were up to $20K in damage. Insurance told me today they are going to total. I owe more than the car is worth so we will see if the "gap" insurance I bought is worth a damn. I'm still amazed that our car with all mechanical, electrical, glass, airbags, etc still in tact can be totaled from a couple crumpled fenders.

So here I sit before the insurance has told me what they will pay for my car. I don't know what they will say about my after market Ford Performance Racing Suspension, or Ford Performance exhaust. I am told I may have the option of buying the salvage. Its mechanically in excellent shape. I had about 21K miles on it and everything is perfect. The rear differential is already rebuilt.

I'm so divided, should I just buy I 2017? I sat in one today and it didn't feel like "my car" I am intrigued by the 2018, but can't wait that long. I also consider trying to buy my salvage and turn it into a kit car, or buying my salvage and buying a base model GT. Would most of the performance pack and premium parts transfer over?

Sorry for the rambling post. I'm still grieving, just trying to get some advice and ideas. Also PSA, check that tread life.
Sponsored

Last edited:

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
I say just get a 2017 man. Cut your losses. It'll feel like your car after a while believe me. If you have the mechanical expertise or help, you could sell the engine, trans and rear end but that's a lot of work and you might not get back out of it what you pay to salvage it. Just get a 2017 and move on is my opinion. Good thing you didn't get hurt and yep, always make sure you replace your tires as soon as they hit the wear indicators. Good luck bro

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
Damn 20k in damage...what are these cars made of...painted gold or something? makes you wonder if they get a kickback from the salvage companies for parts sold.

Just seem excessive to my mind for the damage you stated. Maybe pics would help?

Sponsored

Legionofone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base
I mean... they do sell the cars to the salvage company... so sorta...

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
I wouldn't be too worried about it. You're talking about a car they've made tons of and even then it's replaceable. Your life isn't so you should feel blessed in that regard.

I wouldn't run out to purchase anything you don't feel is "you". I would buy a beater for a couple grand and then wait the market out to see if any steals pop up/you find the "you" car. Plus if you were upside down, I'd say next time you need to bring more cash for a down payment to avoid that depreciation/negative equity.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Damn 20k in damage...what are these cars made of...painted gold or something? makes you wonder if they get a kickback from the salvage companies for parts sold.

Just seem excessive to my mind for the damage you stated. Maybe pics would help?
main thing is you are ok, as for the tread, must have been ok, otherwise the insurance could have refused to pay out.
As for the amount of cost of the damage
when my S197 was hit on the passenger door by a speeding driver it affected the hood and the drivers side door, would have been written of if the chassis had been moved, as that makes the whole car unsafe. But as that was ok, it was repaired and the damage was around $12000

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
What was it about your '15 that made it feel like your car?
What was lacking in the '17?

I have to agree with the suggestions of holding out for the '18...but maybe talk to your dealer and get on the list now.

In the meantime, find a deal on a fully depreciated econo-car and drive it until the fall when you can sell it. Sock away as much cash as you can between now and then.

I suspect that getting the brand new model is your best bet for getting back that feeling of "your car."

Sponsored
OP
OP

RouteAbel

2015 GT PP, Magnetic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, Magnetic
are the pictures showing up for yall?

A couple clarifications.

My biggest heartburn over starting over is the cost. Apparently I got a great deal first time around. I got a quote for $43,600 on a comperable model and that is before the suspension, exhaust, and tint. Meanwhile I can buy a base GT for $14K less. So for the mechanical question, would most of my upgrades move over or is there something fundamentally different between base and premium?

Last edited:

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
I've made a promise to my self to never own/buy a salvaged/totaled car ever again. Had few cars that were never the same after the wreck.
I understand that it can be repaired and many people do it... It's not for me.

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
They will auction your car off to recoup some of their loss. Salvage places buy them all the time and part them out and resell the good parts back to bodyshops... etc.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I would just take a deep breath and walk away from the wrecked car.
When a car is hit that bad, nothing ever lines up again.
Get a new 17. You will at least be getting sync3.
Sponsored