Need Help With Window Tinting Suggestions

brock2621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special
I'm looking to have my windows tinted and it's probably been a decade since I last messed with tinting and I know things have changed. I want to get the best of the best product available and also have no bubbles in the dot matrix all around the windshield and rear. Is this possible?

Any suggestions or help would be great. Once I settle on a product it's going to be such a pain I know to find a GOOD tinting place around me here in KY. My state isn't known for keeping up with bleeding edge tech :headbonk:
Sponsored

ghst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 401a RIP
The dot matrix & defroster lines on these cars are really hard to tint properly. I went to a guy with 40 reviews on yelp, all 5-stars, raving about how fantastic he is, and my rear window has some really rough spots around the defrosters, and a few bubbles that never went away... debating getting it redone.

OP
OP
brock2621

brock2621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
The dot matrix & defroster lines on these cars are really hard to tint properly. I went to a guy with 40 reviews on yelp, all 5-stars, raving about how fantastic he is, and my rear window has some really rough spots around the defrosters, and a few bubbles that never went away... debating getting it redone.
Ugh... I don't like that at all. I saw this video from Obsessed and was curious on researching it a little:

[ame]

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
If you're anywhere close to Ashland, go to Tina's Tinting. She's the best around, has tinted many exotics, and is the preferred tint shop of the local Mercedes dealer. My car was done perfectly.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's hard to get no bubbles in the dots area.

Sponsored

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
All I've gotta say is some window tinters are up there with tow truck drivers and lawyers on the dirty scale. You call them for a price, then you get in and there's 5 different options 4 of which were more than double your original quote.

I left in disgust round 1, 2nd tinter I went to had two options one with lifetime warranty for close to 200 for the better quality tint. He got my money.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
For the record, Tina charged me $175 with the 7 inch windshield strip. 150 without.

If your love of bourbon means you're in/near bourbon county then you really aren't all that far away. A couple hours. I can only speak for my own experience and her body of work but I would send anyone local her way.

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I found someone down here that was a Formula One film dealer, but there aren't many around. Went with their Pinnacle 30% ceramic film, and have zero complaints. Dots around the back window show up slightly, but aside from that there are no imperfections in the tint job. They even shaved the side windows, so there is no tint line at all. Can't complain for $240!

I would highly recommend Formula One or Huper Optik dealers, as they are both very picky about who they let install their,films. They are a bit pricier, but well worth it.

OP
OP
brock2621

brock2621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
I found someone down here that was a Formula One film dealer, but there aren't many around. Went with their Pinnacle 30% ceramic film, and have zero complaints. Dots around the back window show up slightly, but aside from that there are no imperfections in the tint job. They even shaved the side windows, so there is no tint line at all. Can't complain for $240!

I would highly recommend Formula One or Huper Optik dealers, as they are both very picky about who they let install their,films. They are a bit pricier, but well worth it.
What’s the main differences between Formula and Huper?

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
If you want them to do the matrix and def lines the best possible way(s) you're going to pay extra for it a standard tint job isn't going to address those. When I called around only found one that was willing and able to do it, at double the price.

Sponsored

x550ciLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 6MT
I don't have a recommendation on a shop, but definitely do the 3m crystalline. Best stuff out there. I've got it on my truck and its a night and day difference in regards to the heat getting in.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
I've been doing a little research as well and 3M Crystalline seems to be the best out there for heat reduction. However, it's usually more than double the price of "standard" tints. You get what you pay for.
If you want really dark tint, it's not for you. They only go to 40%.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

If you are going tint all around, I'd also tint the windshield at the same time. If you tint the windshield at around 80%, it's pretty much undetectable and it really helps keep the heat down while driving. Cooler steering wheel and shift knob, seats stay black, etc.

My_Coyote

Howl'n in the Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I used a dark tint strip, about 10-12" at the top of my windshield which cuts
the sun rays
Sponsored