Need help with what type of dash kit i might need

bear89103

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Greetings, I have a 2018 Mustang GT with the base level stereo in it. I also have a Pioneer AVH-X4700BS that I have laying around. I originally was going to install it onto my wife's Honda Pilot. But never got around to it. Anyway, I would like some help to figure out what dash kit I might need and wiring harness to be able to install it onto my Mustang.
Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
What complicates replacing the stock HU is that it's also the control point for steering wheel controls, Bluettooth, Voice Commands, AC controls etc.

I've not done an aftermarket HU swap in the Mustang myself, but plenty on here have. I know you need a bezel kit that keeps the AC controls and one or more "smart harnesses" that have a "brain box" built in that interfaces b/t the car's controls and HU.

Many folks, me included have opted to keep the stock HU simply b/c of the integration challenges with installing an aftermarket HU. It's actually not a bad HU at all. Output voltage is a little low, but with some easy Forscan changes you can actually get a pre-amp-level signal out of it....but that does require other harnesses. Audio in this car is not easy.

What is it about the stock HU you don't like? Is there some feature missing? Or is it that you want more power, more bass etc? Just as an example: Adding some real bass to the stock system is very easy (costs money of course) and make a big difference in the sound and impact of the music. Adding a sub (or a real sub if you have the stock subwoofer) is the most cost and time-effective way to improve the stock system.

Here's my old thread from when I installed my subwoofer and amp. I've since flipped 180-degrees and installed a full system, but that's not the focus here.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...at-install-long-post-heavy-pic-warning.78694/

It can wind up being as simple as this and you've seriously improved the stock system.
1603845928718.png

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
If it's the 4 inch headunit you're basically stuck with either the Metra or the Scosche kit. I would choose the Scosche kit in that case, except if you got the climate seats and dual zone climate control together with the 4 inch screen, then it's only the Metra kit.

OP
OP

bear89103

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Thank you both, @mikes2017gt and @Cathul . You both have been extremely helpful.

And to answer your questions. Yes... the tiny little screen is the main thing that bothers me. Functionally, there also seems to be issues when I play spotify on my phone connected to "device". Half the time it says something like cannot connect to device or cannot find device. And it literally is just plugged into the usb port. So that's frustrating.

I've looked at both the Scosche and the Metra kits. And they're the Scosche is $400. Plus wiring kit and everything... I'm a little more used to dash kits that just replace the bezel around the head unit... like $40. lol.

And what you're both telling me is that even with that, I would lose the audio controls and voice sync and bluetooth? Man, that's not a great solution.

What do y'all think about the large vertical android stuff? I think it's like Phoenix something or Rhino something.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Well... if you choose a headunit without bluetooth and audio controls and stuff, then yes, you will loose that. But if you choose a headunit with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto you get Bluetooth, voice commands, navigation (via navigation apps on your phone) and much more. Most of the time you also get a basic DSP in such headunits.

In addition the Scosche and Metra kits have all the wiring included including a replacement for the HVAC controls (which both replace) and steering wheel controls.
So it's much more than just a bezel. ;)

Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
If you have an iPad or Android Tablet you can do this, fast forward to 1:44 and 2:47. This would be cheaper if you already have a tablet

OP
OP

bear89103

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
If you have an iPad or Android Tablet you can do this, fast forward to 1:44 and 2:47. This would be cheaper if you already have a tablet
Thanks! That may be the most cost effective solution at this point. Thank you.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
The tablet route gets you a bigger screen and maybe access to more apps but does nothing for the SQ of the audio. That's not a knock, just stating fact. If the bigger screen and more apps fit your needs, then you're good to go. :) Not everyone wants to tear their car apart and rewire it.
Sponsored