Sponsored

NEED HELP - Wife complaining about her "new" car

tnmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Ok, a little background. I grew up working on vehicles in the 80s and 90s. Once vehicles started into computer controlled everything, I kinda backed away and let the stealership take over (outside of brakes and what not). So I am not completely ignorant to the mechanics of it all, but I am lost when it comes to tuning and expected behavior anymore.

Here's the deal.

Wife bought an 18 Mustang GT Premium with PP1 and 3.15 rear end. She bought it from the stealership and it was delivered to her. Next day, she starts it up and the whole neighborhood comes outside to find out what the racket is.

She bought it without knowing it had a Rousch CAI, Corsa LTH's, and a Borla 3in S-Type Active Exhaust Cat-Back. She puts it in quiet mode and it still sounds like a fire breathing dragon.

I tell her that it sounds exactly how it's supposed to (no resonator). She is highly disappointed and wants that stock sound back, so my first thought is to find someone who wants to trade out this exhaust with a stock one. I think she could probably keep the CAI and headers be just fine.

3 weeks later, she is complaining that gears 1-3 are jumpy off the line. We recalibrate throttle via the Accessory key method (Does this take a certain amount of time before the computer gets enough data?). She claims its better, but not for long. I don't know. I tell her when you up the horsepower that much, you are going to get harder shifts. Its a desirable trait (am I wrong?), and maybe it needs a tune?

She drive almost exclusively in normal and S+ modes and runs quiet mode 24 hours a day.

At this point I am out of my league. I need help.

Guys and gals, there are two things she really wants. She wants smooth acceleration and a quieter exhaust. I have been going through my head trying to figure out the most cost efficient way to do this.

1. Buy a fomoco factory active axel back system and downpipe the 3in to factory?
2. Buy an entire fomoco factory catback system.
3. Replace the entire exhaust from manifold to tail pipe and hope that it also fixes the acceleration "problem".
4. Pay for a "tune" for lower tach shifting

Any advice or direction from you guys would be super appreciative!

Thanks

tnmustang
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
If it has headers and CAI, it likely has some sort of tune which probably affects shifting as well. I would take it back to stock - stock headers, exhaust and intake make dealership flash standard engine calibration.

OP
OP

tnmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Only way to do it properly. If you change the headers or CAI, it will require a tune update, so at this point you're best off at least going to OEM headers and intake, and stock tune.
What should I expect if I just got a stock catback and a new tune? Would that significantly quiet the sound and help on the shift? Would the dealership be the one to perform a custom tune or do you have to take it to a performance shop?

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
I agree, if the shifts are harsh in drive then it most likely has a tune in it. Just need to add some type of resonator. I have the magnaflow true x n love it. But its not 3".

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Try to return to the dealership if you can. You're going to spend lots of money trying to undo those mods.

OP
OP

tnmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Try to return to the dealership if you can. You're going to spend lots of money trying to undo those mods.
Not an option unfortunately. The parts were not disclosed, but we are beyond the timeframe. It has been quite a learning moment for her.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Im willing to bet you could find someone to trade you a stock active exhaust set up pretty quick

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
1. Little mufflers you can buy that go where the resonator used to be and quiet the noise very well. Can't remember what they are called but other porsters have posted about them and claimed they make a huge difference.
2. Get a tune

Done and fixed for $1k

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
Not an option unfortunately. The parts were not disclosed, but we are beyond the timeframe. It has been quite a learning moment for her.
Beyond what timeframe? If the Ford dealer didnā€™t disclose the mods, it could be considered fraud.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I have the Borla S-type catback for my '18 GT without active exhaust. However, I also bought the Borla 60661 H-pipe resonator to use instead of the included X-pipe to make it quieter. That should quiet it down some and it should be a direct replacement for the X pipe w/ the S type catback.

Another question - does it have catalytic converters? You could possibly add some high flow cats to further quiet it down.

Borla H pipe.jpg

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
If you try putting resonators on... the problem is will it then be acceptable to your wife. I am guessing not. This means you have to likely remove LTH install stock manifolds and possibly buy a new OEM exhaust. Let's not forget tune the car if you don't still have the tuner device with stock tune on it. This starts getting difficult and expensive.

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
Where in Tennessee are you? Which dealer if you care to mention? I'm in east Tennessee between Knox and Chat.

Justin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grabber Lime GT Premium
I think a big question is the LTH and if they're catless. If those are catless that would be where I start my transformation back to stock as that is going to have a HUGE difference. I have a 2020GT with the Borla Active S Types and Quiet mode with stock headers is nothing comparable to a "fire breathing dragon". If you replace the headers and for some reason its still too loud you can get Borla's resonated H pipe as mentioned above.

Check the glove box and stuff and see if it has the handheld tuner. If not, i'd get stock headers and get the dealer to flash it back to stock and see how she likes it then. A stock tune car, with just borla actives on quiet mode with normal driving mode selected is a very comfortable ride. Tuned or not driving in S+ driving mode will make the shifts harder and RPMs hang so i'd advise her to just keep it in normal.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Stock headers should quiet it down best. Hit up kt3. Hes looking to sell his.
Sponsored