Sponsored

Need help!! Struggling with BMR CB762 bolts for front cradle plate

codereddew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
So I have a 2020 Mustang GT. Attempted to install BMR’s CB762 and CB010 kits yesterday and was able to get everything bolted up EXCEPT the 4 front cradle plate bolts highlighted in green in the attached pic.

I spent nearly 5 hours struggling in my garage and must’ve pry’d, unbolted and rebolted everything like 100 times, but still could not get those front cradle plate bolts to start threading by hand for the life of me.

I was eventually able to get 1 bolt in, but I don’t think it’s even threaded correctly because it was hard AF to torque down (definitely well over the recommend spec of 40lb/ft torque). So now I’m afraid I’ve messed up the threads and don’t know what to do :(

Actually test drove the car after installing what I could, and from what I could tell, it drives fine (prob since I was able to torque everything else to spec). But it definitely makes me super uncomfortable driving around without those front cradle plate bolts being on.

Any suggestions?!

004A1D80-ADF5-4D91-B82B-8A888C20C033.jpeg
Sponsored

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT, 14 F150, 23 F150
I just did what you're doing, I had issues with the same four bolts. Mine needed the cradle to move rearward. finally took off exhaust and there is a built in point at the rear of cradle to get a bar in and pry. I was on my own so I put ratchet straps on from holes in chassis (above muffler) thru the spring and hooked them on cradle, was able to pry it back and hold it with straps. also on the plates you're working with the passenger side needed to go side ways and I was able to pry it over easily. one hole I finally resorted to a small burr in die grinder to egg shape the hole slightly. wasn't fun but doable, 2 people would be a plus and I hope you're on a lift. If you can just loosen the bolt you think is wounded and slide things might be best to not take it all the way out and then not get it back in, although that will probably add to the struggle. Good luck, don't give up. Jim

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Sounds like you loosened everything up at once instead of one side at a time. I had no problem. Get a tap and run it through the whole a couple times

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
When I installed this on mine along with all the other cars I’ve installed it on, I use the stock 13mm bolts first as they thread much easier than the included 15mm ones. I tighten them down which helps align the plates of the 762 kit and then remove one stock bolt and add the new bolts one at a time. A small pry bar also helps with plate alignment.

OP
OP
codereddew

codereddew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
When I installed this on mine along with all the other cars I’ve installed it on, I use the stock 13mm bolts first as they thread much easier than the included 15mm ones. I tighten them down which helps align the plates of the 762 kit and then remove one stock bolt and add the new bolts one at a time. A small pry bar also helps with plate alignment.
That's actually what I attempted to do, but the stock 13 mm ones only threaded about 3/4 way before they started to become significantly harder to thread - is this what you experienced?

Sponsored

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Probably installed 10 of these over time but they are all different experiences. Some (stock) bolts will thread all the way in by hand and some are temperamental but they are usually that way coming out the first time and I mentally log that as I’m doing the switch. Most have done the cb005 kit at the same time, myself included, which does no favors.
Best thing to do is remove them, chase the threads with the stock bolts to give you an idea of which ones are compliant and possibly chase the threads with a tap if needed. Not what you probably want to hear but I’ve seen others break bolts from forcing them especially cross threaded. Ultimately there is no issue with putting the 15mm ones in when everything is aligned.

peoples1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
I found that loosening both cradle bolts one side at a time, then tightening the front one leaving the back one loose gave me the angle I needed to get them in there.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I bolted everything up loosely and saw what lined up and what didn't. I had already installed poly subframe bushings, so the cradle was as square w.r.t. the chassis as I could make it. 2 of those holes just did not line up. I opened them up with a round hand file to make them fit. The first one, I only had to take a mm or 2. The other was about 1/3 of a hole off and needed quite a bit of dressing to make work. Regardless, once fitted with the bolts torqued, they've been absolutely solid.
Sponsored