Sponsored

Need Help: Anyone Have the Rear Tires Spinning/Slipping on the Wheel Hub Assembly?

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
I am about to put a set of BC Forged 325/30/19 rear tires on. At what HP has anyone seen the rear tires Spin on the Wheel Hub Itself, for on street or track use on their wheels. I want to go with a FI system next year and would like to know, at what HP point have people seen slippage. Again, thank you for your help.
Doug
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
I am about to put a set of BC Forged 325/30/19 rear tires on. At what HP has anyone seen tires Spin on the Wheel Hub, not tire slippage to the ground. On street or track use on their wheels. I want to go with a FI system next year and would like to know, at what HP point have people seen the Tire Spin on the Wheel Hub Itself. Again.
Thank you for your help.
Doug
Hi. I am wanting to know Tire slippage of the tire on the Wheel Hub itself, not the tire to the ground. I do not have bead locks or Knurled inner lip. I appreciate your help.
Doug

HiTekExec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500; 2021 Mach-e GT Performance
Hi. I am wanting to know Tire slippage of the tire on the Wheel Hub itself, not the tire to the ground. I do not have bead locks or Knurled inner lip. I appreciate your help.
Doug
If I'm wrapping head around this right, you want to know how much torque it will take, given the tire's composition to retain traction to the ground, to twist the tire sufficiently to break the bead off the wheel? Can't say I've ever pondered that algorithm... be a great physics question.

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
If I'm wrapping head around this right, you want to know how much torque it will take, given the tire's composition to retain traction to the ground, to twist the tire sufficiently to break the bead off the wheel? Can't say I've ever pondered that algorithm... be a great physics question.
Hi, and thank you for your help. What I am wanting to know is has anyone had their Tires Spin on their wheel Hubs during racing.

Sponsored

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Hi, and thank you for your help. What I am wanting to know is has anyone had their Tires Spin on their wheel Hubs during racing.
You mean the tire and rim, not hub. The 'hub' is where the axle and wheel studs meet. Are you asking if anyone has stripped the splines from the axle to the hub or sheered off the wheel studs?

To answer your question, very rarely. I have never seen properly matched tires and rims slip on each other, though I have seen cars break axles, sheer off wheel studs.

HiTekExec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500; 2021 Mach-e GT Performance
You mean the tire and rim, not hub. The 'hub' is where the axle and wheel studs meet. Are you asking if anyone has stripped the splines from the axle to the hub or sheered off the wheel studs?

To answer your question, very rarely. I have never seen properly matched tires and rims slip on each other, though I have seen cars break axles, sheer off wheel studs.
Never fun for the owner, but always amusing to see someone leave their rear-end about 50 ft down the track...

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)

Never fun for the owner, but always amusing to see someone leave their rear-end about 50 ft down the track...
Ouch!!

16COEBM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Sounds like he is concerned about spinning the wheel inside the tire. Unless your doing some street outlaws level street racing I wouldn't be concerned with that at all. If you want to know if your tire is spinning on the wheel, mark a spot on the wheel and tire in the same spot and compare the marks after making a hit. On the street with a street tire (drag radial) I would say the likelyhood is very low. On a well prepped track with a sticky tire there is more of a possibility. There are other alternatives to beadlocks and knurling, such as glue or adhesive that you can put around the bead during tire install.

Power will obviously impact traction between the wheel/tire and tire/road, but also have to take into account how hard you a transferring that power. Manual trans with a 2-step and a clutch dump will hit the tire harder than an automatic trans (without a brake).

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
Doug, Are you planning on drag racing your car? What power are you looking to make??

Sponsored
OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like he is concerned about spinning the wheel inside the tire. Unless your doing some street outlaws level street racing I wouldn't be concerned with that at all. If you want to know if your tire is spinning on the wheel, mark a spot on the wheel and tire in the same spot and compare the marks after making a hit. On the street with a street tire (drag radial) I would say the likelyhood is very low. On a well prepped track with a sticky tire there is more of a possibility. There are other alternatives to beadlocks and knurling, such as glue or adhesive that you can put around the bead during tire install.

Power will obviously impact traction between the wheel/tire and tire/road, but also have to take into account how hard you a transferring that power. Manual trans with a 2-step and a clutch dump will hit the tire harder than an automatic trans (without a brake).
Hi, and thanks for your reply. I plan on marking the inside tire lip area just for piece of mind. I heard the goo stuff is a mess. Take Care.
Doug

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
While I can't say for certain, I'll go ahead and guess that since I've never heard of such concerns, much less any examples of tires slipping on the wheel with street cars, the answer is "a whole lot more power than your car will ever make".

But then, I'm not into the drag-racing scene, so maybe I'm wrong.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Back in the day we used to race slicks with tubes and the tube and tire would spin on the rim and rip the valve stem. We would use self tapping sheet metal screws from rim into bead. There are even race rims with holes drilled but we used to drill our own. Cheap and relatively easy.
Sponsored