Sponsored

Need Cat deletes but no increase in sound volume

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Hello everyone.

So, I need cat deletes but I do not want any extra sound volume.

I have the stock suitcase still and plan on keeping it. AWE Touring axle back.

I love the sound and volume right now. Zero drone.

I’ve seen a resonated cat delete on the GT350 threads (B-line I believe). Is there anything like that for the regular GT?

Has anyone replaced the cats with resonators there instead? Seems like it should be an easy thing to do. I just don’t want to introduce any drone or real volume increase at lower RPMs. I’ve went through the drone crap with the CJPP axle backs and that was no fun. Car is a convertible so a little different acoustics when the top is up.

Not looking for full headers. I’m sure I’ll gain more hp with headers over axle backs but I’m content with what I have now. I just need to remove the cats before anything goes wrong running the blower with them. Lund tuned.

So. Recommendations for what would work best? I’d also like to be able to bolt on and off the cats myself easily in the garage. I know MAK deletes offer the extra flange making it easier. Experiences doing this?

Exhaust shops around me don’t really want to touch anything regarding cat removal, but may make the necessary changes so long as I leave with the cats in place and then change them myself.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Your option would to be to delete the cats and have some resonators welded in to decrease the loudness.

Red5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt race red non pp
I have the mak cat deletes with welded in resonators along with corsa x pipe and corsa touring exhaust. I would say the resonators just cleaned up the tone and not necessarily lowered the volume. If it did lower it, i would say it lowered the volume about 10%.That would be the best route if you plan to keep the stock suitcase resonator.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
That’s it eh. Was hoping that the volume wouldn’t go up substantially between cat removal and then adding resonators. The cats quiet it down huge then. My fear is cat meltdown with the supercharger.

Any recs for resonators?

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
That’s it eh. Was hoping that the volume wouldn’t go up substantially between cat removal and then adding resonators. The cats quiet it down huge then. My fear is cat meltdown with the supercharger.

Any recs for resonators?
Vibrant

Sponsored

Red5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s the same reason I removed my cats as well, I have the roush kit. I wanted the vibrant resonators but my buddy owns a muffler shop and he had some generic brand and got a deal on them so I went with those. The vibrants are very nice and may quiet it more or maybe not but also another thing to consider is clearance. I think the vibrants are a little wider than the ones I have but I do not have first hand experience to be able to tell you if they fit or not. Maybe someone else can chime in but it is right down there especially since the mak cat deletes are 3”. I attached some pics of my setup.

B7650D49-B71E-4206-A9B8-ECDBC4DB88CD.jpeg

F6709FCD-7578-4FEB-B4DE-E1FCC1FED0B4.jpeg

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
That’s the same reason I removed my cats as well, I have the roush kit. I wanted the vibrant resonators but my buddy owns a muffler shop and he had some generic brand and got a deal on them so I went with those. The vibrants are very nice and may quiet it more or maybe not but also another thing to consider is clearance. I think the vibrants are a little wider than the ones I have but I do not have first hand experience to be able to tell you if they fit or not. Maybe someone else can chime in but it is right down there especially since the mak cat deletes are 3”. I attached some pics of my setup.

B7650D49-B71E-4206-A9B8-ECDBC4DB88CD.jpeg

F6709FCD-7578-4FEB-B4DE-E1FCC1FED0B4.jpeg
Thanks for that.

Did you find your resonators helped? Very much? Never thought of clearance issues.

How much louder is the car now than when it had the cats? Any performance difference that you noticed?

Thanks.

Red5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The reason I installed them was because the car got very raspy at high rpms to the point where it got a little distorted which I did not like so this setup fit the bill, cleaned up the raspy ness and toned it down just a hair. I have the corsa x pipe and corsa touring exhaust which is meant to be used with catless setups. Before the cat delete the exhaust would only really be heard when accelerating or wide open throttle. Once I deleted the cats it is still tame at idle, but a little louder but still bearable, cold starts are a little loud but not too bad. Then again you still have the stock suitcase resonator so you should be good and if you add resonators on the mak cat deletes I think your volume will increase some but I don’t think it will be obnoxious and should be able to keep your exhaust note good. Only one way to find out. Performance wise stock it put down 573whp. Cat deletes with PBD tune only it put down 610whp in a very hot 95 degree Texas day.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Thanks again.

Much appreciated.

AdrianMAK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.makperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY Mustang GT Premium
A little late on the reply but an option that hasn't been discussed. We offer our pipes with High flow cats,. If you want to keep the noise down but want the power then that may be an option to consider. The term "Cat Delete" is slightly misleading and confusing when the guys who make them now say put a catalytic in it. While the best cat is no cat in terms of performance. There is a middle ground for the guys who are not looking to become ear piercingly loud. . Their is a lot of power to be had in other ares of our pipe design that is not just in the cat. In terms of the Vibrants., they dont do much in terms of volume, they do clean up the tone a bit though. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask or PM.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
A little late on the reply but an option that hasn't been discussed. We offer our pipes with High flow cats,. If you want to keep the noise down but want the power then that may be an option to consider. The term "Cat Delete" is slightly misleading and confusing when the guys who make them now say put a catalytic in it. While the best cat is no cat in terms of performance. There is a middle ground for the guys who are not looking to become ear piercingly loud. . Their is a lot of power to be had in other ares of our pipe design that is not just in the cat. In terms of the Vibrants., they dont do much in terms of volume, they do clean up the tone a bit though. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask or PM.
Thanks for getting back.
How do your cats work for booster applications? I’ve read that almost all aftermarket cats aren’t very good as far as durability goes in boosted applications.
Any other options in keeping volume level similar to stock cats? I think I need to remove the cats for longevity but need a way to tame the overall volume. I was hoping the resonators would do it, but doesn’t sound like that’s the case. What about the other race type mufflers? I was hoping to put something in the actual cat delete section and add the other flange so easy on / off and have the actual delete pipes with the resonator / race muffler if it will do what I need sound wise.

AdrianMAK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.makperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for getting back.
How do your cats work for booster applications? I’ve read that almost all aftermarket cats aren’t very good as far as durability goes in boosted applications.
Any other options in keeping volume level similar to stock cats? I think I need to remove the cats for longevity but need a way to tame the overall volume. I was hoping the resonators would do it, but doesn’t sound like that’s the case. What about the other race type mufflers? I was hoping to put something in the actual cat delete section and add the other flange so easy on / off and have the actual delete pipes with the resonator / race muffler if it will do what I need sound wise.
The G-Sport UHO Cats that we use are pretty damn durable. We have had them now in various applications from 600-1000HP cars and Trucks going on a few years now. All Coyote Powered. They are rated at 800HP per bank. We haven't tried many other resonator muffler types. The options are endless really so they R&D that would go into that is pretty extensive. We have guys add in that Magnaflow TruX resonator and the Borla one as well. We have not tested them, my biggest concern there is how much restriction do they actually have. I know sound wise they can keep things in check for the most part, but if they kill flow through them(which is how you reduce volume) then you are improving on one end, and going backwards on the other. I tell guys all the time, be wise with your muffler choices. A lot of guys end up in this situation.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Every time I hear a pack Harleys or classic cam'd LS1 (which is evey day in the summer) I stop worrying about deleting my cats.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
The G-Sport UHO Cats that we use are pretty damn durable. We have had them now in various applications from 600-1000HP cars and Trucks going on a few years now. All Coyote Powered. They are rated at 800HP per bank. We haven't tried many other resonator muffler types. The options are endless really so they R&D that would go into that is pretty extensive. We have guys add in that Magnaflow TruX resonator and the Borla one as well. We have not tested them, my biggest concern there is how much restriction do they actually have. I know sound wise they can keep things in check for the most part, but if they kill flow through them(which is how you reduce volume) then you are improving on one end, and going backwards on the other. I tell guys all the time, be wise with your muffler choices. A lot of guys end up in this situation.

Ive been back and forth on headers, but I think I am going to leave the stock ones in there. I have a Borla S Type cat back now, and I think your Performance Piles have sparked my interest.

Couple of questions:

• I'd want the 3" connection for the Borla?
  • Being non boosted, I still think I would want the high flow cats. Is that an issue?
I have a good shop in town here, that could install this and dyno tune the car. I assume all that should be handled at the same time?

AdrianMAK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.makperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
Ive been back and forth on headers, but I think I am going to leave the stock ones in there. I have a Borla S Type cat back now, and I think your Performance Piles have sparked my interest.

Couple of questions:

• I'd want the 3" connection for the Borla?
  • Being non boosted, I still think I would want the high flow cats. Is that an issue?
I have a good shop in town here, that could install this and dyno tune the car. I assume all that should be handled at the same time?
The 3" connection keep in mind you will have to fabricate the connection to the Borla. If a shop is installing it, it should not be a big issue. Its a simple straight piece of pipe. High Flow Cats would not be an issue at all.
Sponsored