Sponsored

Need advice for protecting stang during long distance move

Oko3612

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic PP 15 GT
What [MENTION=19677]Road Dog[/MENTION] said. Insane amount of mustangs down here. Where in Florida you headed?

Id assume west coast by the most beautiful beaches comment
Sponsored

OP
OP
TruBlue16

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
OP, what about a good car cover? Can't you just purchase a good one and secure it to the car safely? Seems like less of a headache than all of the other options.
I read that no matter how good and secure a car cover is that wind will still get under there causing it to shift around possible causing damage to the paint. I'd not want to take that chance.

What [MENTION=19677]Road Dog[/MENTION] said. Insane amount of mustangs down here. Where in Florida you headed?

Id assume west coast by the most beautiful beaches comment
Yeah gonna have to get used to being much less exclusive with the stang down there for sure. Oh well will be worth the nicer weather. We are moving just south of Tampa to Parrish.

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
You don't want to put a car cover on because it will flap and beat on the car. You need something tight to prevent it from doing this. That's why they use the sticky plastic.

BoostedCanadianPoney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Antoine
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard EB PP base
I have tried paint protection tape and my advice is this:
Don't apply it horizontally , do it vertically in the direction of the wind. Not even for one strip , trust me any horizontal will be taken out by the wind
Take your time during the application because if it is not on there properly the wind will detach it

Sponsored

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Sam's club or Costco and get a 2000' roll of 20" width plastic wrap for about $17. Wrap car 8 times LOL
What is it that they use on boats when they move them? Looks like it gets heated with a heat gun and shrinks around the boat. Maybe look at a marine supply store.

here you go....
http://www.shrinkwrapcontainments.com/p-16-heat-shrink-boat-wrap-and-packaging-film.aspx
Bad idea guys. I have seen that stuff bake into the paint.

OP
OP
TruBlue16

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
I have tried paint protection tape and my advice is this:
Don't apply it horizontally , do it vertically in the direction of the wind. Not even for one strip , trust me any horizontal will be taken out by the wind
Take your time during the application because if it is not on there properly the wind will detach it
Most I've read say do it horizontally and over lap from the back going forward on the car facing the wind. If it's vertical all it takes is one flap coming up in the front of that vertical strip and it all comes off.

martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost; coupe; guard; dark-saddle; MT; PP; Nav;
Why don't you just drive the Mustang?

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Oh Parrish, well you're in for it then. All that boring ass sunshine day after day, almost no real traffic to distract you unless you have to drive to Tampa or Sarasota. Your poor wife will have to deal with living within a 3 hour drive of four great Cruise terminals. All your winter clothes will get dusty hanging in the closet. You'll have to get used to dressing in shorts and t-shirts almost every day (less if you actually have a job you have to show up for). Sunglasses will be as indispensable as electricity. And you'll have to study up on the differences between Redneck, Dog, Tourist and Natural Beaches.

Even worse you will not be allowed to contribute 3.75% of your net income to the State Dept of Revenue each year.

But all that pales in comparison to the scorn and ridicule you will experience each time a Friend or Family member calls you to report the cumulative snowfall last night or the number of degrees below zero they are experiencing only to find you are out in the backyard grilling a couple steaks while sitting by the Pool.

Welcome.

Sponsored

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Well it wouldn't be but it's easy & cheap insurance to prevent damage to the car during transport.
My point is..If you were driving it instead of trailering it you wouldn't cover it or wrap it in tape, correct? Why worry any more when it's on the trailer? If anything significant happens to it while on the trailer it's nothing that a cover would have prevented. It would likely be upside down or scraped up against someting. I wouldn't waste money on a cover or time and money on painter's tape, ya know?

I guess maybe you could kick up a rock from the uhaul?

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
OP
OP
TruBlue16

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
Oh Parrish, well you're in for it then. All that boring ass sunshine day after day, almost no real traffic to distract you unless you have to drive to Tampa or Sarasota. Your poor wife will have to deal with living within a 3 hour drive of four great Cruise terminals. All your winter clothes will get dusty hanging in the closet. You'll have to get used to dressing in shorts and t-shirts almost every day (less if you actually have a job you have to show up for). Sunglasses will be as indispensable as electricity. And you'll have to study up on the differences between Redneck, Dog, Tourist and Natural Beaches.

Even worse you will not be allowed to contribute 3.75% of your net income to the State Dept of Revenue each year.

But all that pales in comparison to the scorn and ridicule you will experience each time a Friend or Family member calls you to report the cumulative snowfall last night or the number of degrees below zero they are experiencing only to find you are out in the backyard grilling a couple steaks while sitting by the Pool.

Welcome.
Damn that sounds horrible! Think I'm gonna cancel the contract on the new house and stay in Chicago :lol:

My point is..If you were driving it instead of trailering it you wouldn't cover it or wrap it in tape, correct? Why worry any more when it's on the trailer? If anything significant happens to it while on the trailer it's nothing that a cover would have prevented. It would likely be upside down or scraped up against someting. I wouldn't waste money on a cover or time and money on painter's tape, ya know?

I guess maybe you could kick up a rock from the uhaul?
Rocks can fly up from any of the million cars that will be passing me since I will be doing around the speed limit or less probably. If I'm gonna get rock chips on the car I at least want to be driving and enjoying the car at the time! :D

GTbryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Painters tape, start high work low. I've done 2 long road trips in a camaro I use to have with the front taped off with painters tape. Got to my destination pealed off the tape no chips no bugs.
Sponsored