Need advice for protecting stang during long distance move

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
I will be moving from Illinois to Florida in about 5-6 weeks. We're going to rent a big 26ft uhaul truck and I'm gonna put the stang on an open uhaul car trailer in the back. What would be the best way to protect the car during the move? I've been told I can just cover it up with 3" painters tape and I also found some stuff called TRANSPORTWRAP. Painters tape would definitely be cheaper but does it actually hold up? Anyone have any advice on this?
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Painters tape does a decent job but it's a pain in the butt and will take quite a while to get front and top facing surfaces covered. I've seen many guys using going to and from car shows and have heard good reviews. The transport wrap is what I was thinking, it's much like what manufacturers use when shipping cars. I would imagine it would work well and it would be much easier/quicker. I'm not familiar with any other solutions.

OP
OP
TruBlue16

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
I'm not really worried about how long it takes to apply as it will only be one time. If the tape works good I'll probably just give that a shot. I found some 3" wide tape so shouldn't take long to apply that. Thanks!

turbosc297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Sam's club or Costco and get a 2000' roll of 20" width plastic wrap for about $17. Wrap car 8 times LOL

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Oh, No, you don't want to move to Florida! We are just about full. Why in the world would you want to move here :doh:.. Illinois is so much more fun and you aren't half full of Mustangs like we are here.:threadjacked:

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
OP
OP
TruBlue16

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
Sam's club or Costco and get a 2000' roll of 20" width plastic wrap for about $17. Wrap car 8 times LOL
Haha I guess that is an option

Oh, No, you don't want to move to Florida! We are just about full. Why in the world would you want to move here :doh:.. Illinois is so much more fun and you aren't half full of Mustangs like we are here.:threadjacked:
Man, Illinois is only marginally fun 6 months of the year when there isn't annoying cold weather and frozen white flakes all over the place. My wife and myself love the beach and Lake Michigan just ain't cutting it and Virgin island vacations are expensive. Now we will be 30 mins from the top rated beaches in the US :cheers:

What is it that they use on boats when they move them? Looks like it gets heated with a heat gun and shrinks around the boat. Maybe look at a marine supply store.

here you go....
http://www.shrinkwrapcontainments.com/p-16-heat-shrink-boat-wrap-and-packaging-film.aspx
That would work great just a bit too expensive.

This is the first thing i thought of when reading the OP. Be kind of tough to do on the top of a double car hauler though??

Just found this on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Slip-N-Grip-...qid=1471219403&sr=8-1&keywords=transport+wrap
I saw that stuff but I thought it looked like it's meant just to cover broken or missing windows? Maybe could use on the whole car too but doesn't say how much protection it would offer.

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
Lay cardboard in strategic places then shrink wrap it. What could go wrong:bolt:

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I saw that stuff but I thought it looked like it's meant just to cover broken or missing windows? Maybe could use on the whole car too but doesn't say how much protection it would offer.
My guess is not much for rock chips or something, but guessing it would at least help out in a blowing sand or something like that.

I've been wondering where to buy that white wrap the new cars are shipped with. Saw a video where they put it on the fenders when working on the engine and thought it would be nice to own some of it. That stuff would make the most sense I would think.

Sponsored

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Pull all your stuff on the open trailer (shrink wrap if you want, I guess), and the car inside the 24 foot truck.

OP
OP
TruBlue16

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
My guess is not much for rock chips or something, but guessing it would at least help out in a blowing sand or something like that.

I've been wondering where to buy that white wrap the new cars are shipped with. Saw a video where they put it on the fenders when working on the engine and thought it would be nice to own some of it. That stuff would make the most sense I would think.
I believe the stuff i linked in my OP TRANSPORTWRAP is like that if you look at pics of it on their site

Pull all your stuff on the open trailer (shrink wrap if you want, I guess), and the car inside the 24 foot truck.
Yes genius! :lol:

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Aside from maneuvering, why would pulling it on a trailer be any different than driving it? You even have the added benefit of the truck providing a rock and bug barrier.

OP
OP
TruBlue16

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
Aside from maneuvering, why would pulling it on a trailer be any different than driving it? You even have the added benefit of the truck providing a rock and bug barrier.
Well it wouldn't be but it's easy & cheap insurance to prevent damage to the car during transport.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
OP, what about a good car cover? Can't you just purchase a good one and secure it to the car safely? Seems like less of a headache than all of the other options.
Sponsored