Sponsored

Need Advice: bolt stuck in intake manifold

Luisiv32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT
I was installing a throttle body spacer and when tightening up the top right bolt on the throttle body I must have tightened it too much and the bolt broke. It would not tighten anymore, it was just spinning. I took off the throttle body and spacer and noticed that the end of the bolt brok off and is now in the intake manifold. I can't take it out because it is flush and I tried to drill it out but the bit I had was not strong/big enough and did not make much of a dent. I don't know what to do right now. I know it might have been a stupid thing to do but it was a mistake. I'm in the military and leave for a month next week so I really hope I can fix this. Any advice?
Sponsored

rayban1

Rayban1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium Guard
Get a stronger drill bit, and buy a easy out set screw extractor. you tube it..........

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Easy out, better drill bits, maybe a small punch to spin it out if it has an edge on it.

My advice: stop using gorilla strength on tiny bolts :D

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
That sucks. Welding a bolt to it likely isn’t an option.

For future mods they make torque wrenches that measure inch-pounds. Everything has a torque rating and it helps make an even seal to prevent vacuum leaks.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Don't use heat, you might melt the intake manifold. You should center punch the very center of the bolt and use a quality drill bit and the proper size easy out for that drill bit. If the broken bolt is not broken off flat it can be tricky to get the drill bit started in the center of the bolt which is important.

As Foryourowngood stated, you can sometimes use a very sharp center punch and small hammer to coax the broken bolt out without drilling it. This takes patience.
Sponsored