Sponsored

Need a truck, 5.0 or 3.5 EB?

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Assuming the 3.5EB is maintained, it should be good for over 300k. Seat bolsters will be worse for wear. In my area of the country, there are quite a few for sale with over 240k miles. One dealer wants $16k for a Lariat with 300k miles. LOL best of luck.
Sponsored

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
Been meaning to reply to this for a while.
Damn dude. Let it go. This thread is about f150s with a coyote or eb. If either of us lives long enough for my eb to hit 240k miles, you'll be first on my list.

In the interest of safety though, I think you may be confusing the rating of your hitch, with the rating of your truck. Ford's 1999 towing supplement says 10,000 pounds for the f250 with 6.8l engine...

Screenshot_20190719-225447.png

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt, 2018 f150 eb 3.5
I have an 18 3.5 4wd eco. The truck is awesome. I have an mpt tune and it’s unusually fast for a four door truck. The only thing I wish I would have gotten was the model above my xlt has awd. I can throw it in 4 while moving but active awd would be awesome. I’ve had many different trucks and it’s by far the best one I’ve owned.

It sounds like a retarded baby diesel tho.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I pick up my new DD this weekend - '19 regular cab short bed 4x4 with the 5.0/10-speed. I love that EcoBoost torque, but I'm a V8 guy. Can't get the 3.5 EB in a RCSB anyway, and that's the one I'd want.

Not sure how long I'd be able to get a RCSB with a V8 anymore (the two together are a dying breed), plus my Jeep isn't getting any younger or more reliable. Worked out a deal I couldn't refuse.

Last edited:

BlowerGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500, 2018 GT A10, 06 GTO
I special ordered a bright blue extended cab with 8' box. 3.73's - XLT, tow mirrors, etc. I haven't driven an ecoboost other than the 3 ecoboost transit vans I have. I can tell you that racing a '16 denali Sierra, an ecoboost van (new without shelving installed) will keep up with a 6.2L until the aero of the van (55MPH) starts to really get in the way. I think the 5.0 is just a great motor. My '11 EBoost was fun after the computer was told to wick it up, but these 5.0's will allow a whipple to sit on top when you're ready ;)

I live in WY right on I90 - I pull a lot of trailers. If the 5.0 was available in a F250 - I'd own one. It's not, so I've got several Powerstrokes and a couple of 6.2's. My first 5.0L 10 speed was an '18 but had 3.31's - and it was horrible. Would have been great for some flat lander, but it was always in 7th gear for me. This new one is always in 10th gear, and if pulling - it's always in the correct gear for the best MPG and HP needed.

So, if you're gonna have a truck - make sure it's got the 3.73's unless youre gonna give it to your wife and she's gonna use it like a car.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I'm a week into my new '19 F150 RCSB 4X4 with the 5.0/10-speed and loving it. It's got the 3.55 e-locker axle. If I had ordered it myself, I would have spec'd the 3.73s but zero regrets since otherwise the truck is exactly as I would have ordered and I got a deal I couldn't pass on.

The thing moves pretty briskly for a truck (being a regular cab shorty helps), plus pulls down gas mileage that my previous Jeep Wrangler DD could only dream about - a tick over 22 MPG highway and I don't even have 500 miles on it yet. I just hope it's the reliable anvil that my '04 FX4 RCSB was.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Yeah, that configuration is almost extinct.

Shame, because that's all I ever want.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I'm a week into my new '19 F150 RCSB 4X4 with the 5.0/10-speed and loving it. It's got the 3.55 e-locker axle. If I had ordered it myself, I would have spec'd the 3.73s but zero regrets since otherwise the truck is exactly as I would have ordered and I got a deal I couldn't pass on.

The thing moves pretty briskly for a truck (being a regular cab shorty helps), plus pulls down gas mileage that my previous Jeep Wrangler DD could only dream about - a tick over 22 MPG highway and I don't even have 500 miles on it yet. I just hope it's the reliable anvil that my '04 FX4 RCSB was.
That 10 speed is a feat of engineering. I guess the jury is still out on how reliable the 10 speed is, but initial impressions are positive. We have to wait and see a 10 speed after 200k miles.

Is your Wrangler a YJ or a TJ or?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
My Wrangler was a JK 2-door, '13 Sahara model. I had a couple of TJs in the past.

I ordered and bought the '13 new, I ticked every option box except for navigation. I absolutely loved the thing, but it was in the shop too many times. Casting sediment in coolant, timing cover leak, axle seal leak, all occurring under 60,000 babied miles, plus several recalls on top of it. I needed a truck and was sick of a late model driver that isn't reliable, so it was time to dump it while it was still worth a bunch.

I'm not sure I'll buy another Jeep, or an FCA product in general. The last three were problematic, and this '13 was the worst by far.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
My Wrangler was a JK 2-door, '13 Sahara model. I had a couple of TJs in the past.

I ordered and bought the '13 new, I ticked every option box except for navigation. I absolutely loved the thing, but it was in the shop too many times. Casting sediment in coolant, timing cover leak, axle seal leak, all occurring under 60,000 babied miles, plus several recalls on top of it. I needed a truck and was sick of a late model driver that isn't reliable, so it was time to dump it while it was still worth a bunch.

I'm not sure I'll buy another Jeep, or an FCA product in general. The last three were problematic, and this '13 was the worst by far.
Wow, that's terrible. I haven't owned a newer Jeep but it does look like the new JL models are built better. I currently own a 96 model and I'm currently going through and replacing rubber components like bushings because they are all pretty rotted. Unfortunately, my Jeep was before the time when they started to e-coat so rust is an issue. Fortunately, parts are cheap and the aftermarket is plentiful. The aftermarket for a Jeep reminds of the aftermarket for a Mustang. They are both sizable.

I just hope all these car manufacturers these days aren't building what I would call disposable cars. I understand they are in the business to make money, but selling someone a piece of junk is a fast way to lose their business.

Let's get real here. If you're taking a Mustang to 200k, you're rebuilding/swapping the transmission somewhere along the line.
Honestly, I just want to see how long the Coyote and the 10 speed can last. On an n/a car, I'll say 300k miles with no major replacement. On an FI car, roll the dice.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Wow, that's terrible. I haven't owned a newer Jeep but it does look like the new JL models are built better. I currently own a 96 model and I'm currently going through and replacing rubber components like bushings because they are all pretty rotted. Unfortunately, my Jeep was before the time when they started to e-coat so rust is an issue. Fortunately, parts are cheap and the aftermarket is plentiful. The aftermarket for a Jeep reminds of the aftermarket for a Mustang. They are both sizable.
The JLs have their share of issues also based on what I've seen on the forums, and they're far more expensive than the JK. The JL price hike plus my luck with the JK series said stay away. By the way, I had a new '12 JK Arctic 2-door for less than a year that was a total POS too, I swear that thing was possessed and I've had better manual transmissions in slopped-out 200K-mile vehicles. I figured I'd try my luck one more time with the '13 and, well, you read above how that worked out for me.

The aftermarket for Jeeps is massive. I just wish someone else built them.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
The trucks in that video have completely different drivetrains and gear ratios. Not a very good engine comparison video when their towing capabilities aren't even the same. :wink:

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have a '17 3.5 EB Lariat SCREW and it hauls ass still to this day. 36 gallon tank and long road trips it gets over 700 miles to the tank. I've seen some deals lately on the '19's w/5.0. You can't go wrong either way but the EB is a blast to drive when you put in sport mode.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
So a somewhat related question relevant to this thread.

I see where the 5.0 engine in the F150 is flex fuel capable. Is there an appreciable difference in E85 or do you still have to have a tune to really take advantage?

And is the tune comparable to the GT 5.0 in that you can get some real performance increase (30+ WHP)?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
And is the tune comparable to the GT 5.0 in that you can get some real performance increase (30+ WHP)?
The torque demand table for the stock 2018 mustang requests 466 ftlb and 507 hp. While higher than the rating, this seems to correlate well with dyno numbers.

The same table for the 5.0 f150 only calls for 400 ftlb and 395 hp, which is the factory rating. This tells me the f150 motor is intentionally being held back by the ecm.

According to 5 star tuning, they are gaining 45 hp and 55 ftlb on the 5.0 f150 with only a cal and 93 octane.
Sponsored