Not open for further replies.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Your son in law just has to make a decision whether he prefers higher pay or having benefits. Don't blame a business for offering choices to employees.
Aren't employees entitled to the same pay for equal work? How are benefits benefits if you have to pay for them. I worked in corporate America for my entire career and never did I have to except less pay for benefits.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Aren't employees entitled to the same pay for equal work? How are benefits benefits if you have to pay for them. I worked in corporate America for my entire career and never did I have to except less pay for benefits.
Employees are entitled to choose to work or decide to go somewhere else. If your son in law thinks Home Depot is crappy due to their pay policies, he's free to find something better. I'd be willing to bet there are a lot better paying jobs out there, no matter what it is he does for Home Depot.

If most people think a certain company doesn't pay enough, that company will have trouble finding people and they will have to increase the amount they pay employees.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Employees are entitled to choose to work or decide to go somewhere else. If your son in law thinks Home Depot is crappy due to their pay policies, he's free to find something better. I'd be willing to bet there are a lot better paying jobs out there, no matter what it is he does for Home Depot.

If most people think a certain company doesn't pay enough, that company will have trouble finding people and they will have to increase the amount they pay employees.
All correct but doesn't answer my question. Isn't a worker deserving of being paid the same as another worker regardless of how many hours they work?

By the way, my son in law is heading into management and is quite happy where he is.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
All correct but doesn't answer my question. Isn't a worker deserving of being paid the same as another worker regardless of how many hours they work?

By the way, my son in law is heading into management and is quite happy where he is.
I don't like the language of "entitled" or "deserving" at all. Frankly I find it offensive.

And my answer is "NO". People are not "deserving" or "entitled" to a certain wage. Employment is a mutually beneficial arrangement. If the company OR the worker feels they can get a better deal elsewhere they should seek it out.

And what I've found is that the most enjoyable places to work usually pay less than places people don't enjoy as much. The worker sacrifices some pay in order to have a more enjoyable work experience.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I don't like the language of "entitled" or "deserving" at all. Frankly I find it offensive.

And my answer is "NO". People are not "deserving" or "entitled" to a certain wage. Employment is a mutually beneficial arrangement. If the company OR the worker feels they can get a better deal elsewhere they should seek it out.

And what I've found is that the most enjoyable places to work usually pay less than places people don't enjoy as much. The worker sacrifices some pay in order to have a more enjoyable work experience.
Sorry my friend, you are still not answering my question.

Should two people doing the exact same job for the same company (that they love) get paid the same regardless of the hours worked? Just FYI, my father and father in law both owned private businesses so I understand both sides of the table.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Sorry my friend, you are still not answering my question.

Should two people doing the exact same job for the same company (that they love) get paid the same regardless of the hours worked? Just FYI, my father and father in law both owned private businesses so I understand both sides of the table.
The company has the right to draw up the work contract however they want. The worker has the right to accept, refuse or try to negotiate.

And that is beautiful. Any kind of regulation or law restricting it would be ugly and terrible. It would make a mess.

watisthis

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Pro-charged
Imagine blaming the worker who can't support himself over the corporation who will literally fire people if their stockholders don't make increased profits year in year out.

The minimum wage was originally passed with the intention of providing a full-time worker the capacity to support himself and a family. It is not tied to inflation and has to be increased by law.

As FRD said, "No business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country." The existence of said minimum wage provides all workers with bargaining leverage which in turn increases wages. This results in a redistribution of wealth from owners to workers, which HAS ALWAYS resulted in an overall increase in economic growth as WORKERS ARE ALSO CONSUMERS.

The minimum wage has been stagnant and fails to reflect inflation. People seem to think minimum wage is for idiots and teenagers which is beyond false, no reasonable person can say that you do not deserve to live comfortably on 40 hours of work a week. Your boss will never pay you more than he has to, that is the central premise of a free market. It is a simple economic sense to pay people enough to live on, it saves money that would go to public welfare and the like.

You deserve liveable pay and safety, If you don't believe that then I suppose those Chinese sweatshops have had it right all along, no one works hard enough to support themselves.

OP
OP
Weather Man

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
The R/I/D numbers flip like almost every month, and only ever by 3-4%, usually less. That's hardly news. Unless ya know.. you have no idea what you're taking about, don't know how to look up data and just hope the people you are talking to don't either.

IE: clicked the link in the story https://news.gallup.com/poll/15370/party-affiliation.aspx
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.