Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
https://www.navytimes.com/articles/...tm_term=Editorial - Navy - Daily News Roundup

I never post here, but I've got to rant. WHAT THE :censored: ARE THEY THINKING?!?

The Navy just spit in the face of 250 years of US Naval history. More if you include British Naval history.

I just... no words.

The Navy deep-sixed all of its 91 enlisted ratings titles Thursday, marking the beginning of an overhaul of the rigid career structure that has existed since the Continental Navy ... Sailors will no longer be identified by their job title, say, Fire Controlman 1st Class Joe Sailor, effective immediately. Instead, that would be Petty Officer 1st Class Joe Sailor.
r/
CTN1(SS)
USN Vet (formerly retired, it's a long story.)
Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
You are going off the deep end for nothing...

Plus no one will care in 10 to 15 years... the new people will only know the new system.

Also, it almost sounds like they are copying the civil service: Under this new system, for example, Gunner's mates will be identified as B320 and quartermasters will be B450.

Personally, I like it. When I'm in meetings or in the building, I'm known by my gov't GS level... not such much by what I do (senior gov't person in the room, etc).

Sounds like they have a good plan to let people cross train and have the ability to move around more. I like the idea, if that is what comes out of it.

Me? LN1(SW)... what feels like a life time ago... not even sure that was really my life. :-)

PS... CTN1?

[ame]

OP
OP
Dirtyblueshirt

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Well, I'm sure your opinion is well into the minority. It's a choice some asshats in Washington made to pad their resume and appeal to ... hell, I have no idea. Frankly I can't see how anyone thinks it's a good idea. While I'm all for change, women on subs, gender integration in certain other ratings... I think this needs to be more pragmatic. Hundreds of thousands of sailors take pride in their rating identity. You may not, but I do. and every one of my former colleagues, friends, and family who serve or have served in the Navy do.

And yes, CTN1. Don't be pissed because we slapped a secret sticker on your iPod and shoved it in a safe after you for plugged it into a SIPR computer.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I get the part about tossing away all this tradition and esprit-de-corps that reads every bit of someone just finally got high enough to cement their legacy and chose this path. In the Air Force we (I) used to think and envy the other services that seemed so rich in history and tradition and the AF was really only interested in NOT honoring tradition and customs. That was just my impression over the years. I always had a good feeling about tradition and heritage it was part of belonging to something. In the end I tired of where that was all going and left at 13 years, and I still reminisce of how good it was from 91 to about 95 or 6 and then all the changes began coming down the pike and it just wasn't "fun", anymore.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Well, I'm sure your opinion is well into the minority. It's a choice some asshats in Washington made to pad their resume and appeal to ... hell, I have no idea. Frankly I can't see how anyone thinks it's a good idea. While I'm all for change, women on subs, gender integration in certain other ratings... I think this needs to be more pragmatic. Hundreds of thousands of sailors take pride in their rating identity. You may not, but I do. and every one of my former colleagues, friends, and family who serve or have served in the Navy do.

I'm glad to see young men and women have the ability to change jobs easier than my generation. I went in a YN and had one choice: LN. Well two choices: Stay YN or go LN.

I went LN and loved it... great job. I got out and found my dream jobs in computers. Had the Navy allowed, I'd stayed in and went computers. I even tried (edit: I was taking classes in computers before I got out... even worked as an IT person for a while, collateral duty).

You are all bent and hurt by "tradition" being thrown out the window, I'm glad to see progress.

I've known countless people who were in "dead-end" rates and could not move. Will this change allow them to move? That is what they are selling, but who knows. See how it works out... if it works as they are selling, I'm for it.

The Navy is a great choice for kids coming out of high school. I would join again... great time. I miss doing "colors" of all things.

By the way, the MCPO of the Navy took this on... I don't know the guy, but I would not count him simply as "someone in Washington".

You can read the official message here: https://www.navycs.com/blogs/navadmin-218-16

And yes, CTN1. Don't be pissed because we slapped a secret sticker on your iPod and shoved it in a safe after you for plugged it into a SIPR computer.
I was out the Navy long before iPods were invented... try again. :D

Last edited:

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The title change means nothing and is what the other services have been doing all along.

Changing the jobs, if done efficiently and grouping similar jobs into broader careers seems legitimate to me.

Bottom-line:

There will still be a Fire Controlman, but it may be part of an overarching career path including other jobs traditionally done by other sailors.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
LOL the Navy rating always confused me being an Air Force guy....like, what the hell is your rank! lol

But I can understand the concern...you were part of a long heritage and now they are taking that way from you. Change is never easy.

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Three of my brothers were Navy:
DC2 aboard the USS General Randall
BT1 aboard the USS Furse
AMH2 aboard the USS Forrestal

When I get a chance I'll ask them what they think.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I was never in the military, I've just been a contractor for about 11 years, exclusively supporting the Navy. I can say this - my Facebook feed, and the lab I work in at SPAWAR is PISSED about the change. There was a LOT of pride that went into those rates, and like someone else mentioned, a lot of esprit de corps. Through my years, I've worked significantly with ETs, ITs, FCs, CTs, and ISs, and they're all pissed.

Also, please don't plug anything into SIPR, otherwise, HBSS is going to freak out, then we'll all have mandatory remedial training.

JR

OP
OP
Dirtyblueshirt

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Also, please don't plug anything into SIPR, otherwise, HBSS is going to freak out, then we'll all have mandatory remedial training.

JR
Does HBSS actually work now? :D

Sponsored

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's in the Stars and Stripes now

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just saw it on AFN

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I was never in the military, I've just been a contractor for about 11 years, exclusively supporting the Navy. I can say this - my Facebook feed, and the lab I work in at SPAWAR is PISSED about the change. There was a LOT of pride that went into those rates, and like someone else mentioned, a lot of esprit de corps. Through my years, I've worked significantly with ETs, ITs, FCs, CTs, and ISs, and they're all pissed.

JR
One quote never gets old: People don't like change.

It is a large leap of faith to believe the plan will work... I don't know if it will or not. And I guess they could have allowed people to move around without the mass change. Like converting to this or that, like we did in the past (although VERY limited).

Another quote that never gets old: Devil is in the detail.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out... I anticipate a petition.... https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/ :D

You can plug things into your SIPR box? That is crazy... ours are locked down... although an admin can enable usb for mouse/keyboard.

OP
OP
Dirtyblueshirt

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Dirtyblueshirt

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
You can plug things into your SIPR box? That is crazy... ours are locked down... although I've never tested it.
Some commands have physical USB port blocks, some don't. Last I knew it was a command-level decision.

I can't count how many booters on the ships in San Diego we make nearly piss themselves aver a verbal lashing when we found their devices plugged into the USB ports on the classified machines. We also got a more than a couple people fired from their positions. Chiefs, JO's, even a couple Skippers (true story).
Sponsored